King David - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King David Reviews

March 9, 2015
It was boring and tedious and it cost me $1.99 on VHS from Value Village. I will never watch it again.
April 19, 2014
Mas o menos bien relatada e interpretada pero con muchas licencias históricas... Aunque no sorprende esta actitud de Paramount, al saber lo que acaba de hacer con la historia de Noe.
½ August 24, 2013
Okay, Richard Gere and a historical look at a religious guy, this film was already not for me. And while it starts off a tad weird and slow, at some point in the first hour all the men go to war over Gere, and for awhile, this movie was like an 80's Braveheart.

There is a battle with so much blood and violence, I have no real idea how this got away with a PG-13 rating. Seriously, we see arrows and stakes being plunged into people's bodies or heads, heads chopped off and even some neck slit a PG-13 movie!!! Not to mention a many of people being run over by horse coaches.

Then it follows with a long and crazy dance by Gere in medieval tighty whities. And then a glorious full frontal shot from the mom from Sleepwalkers....again, in a PG-13 film???

The ending seems super rushed and then it just kind of ends, which is a shame as the film really got rolling there for awhile. I had no idea religion could be so much R rated like amazingness.
May 2, 2013
I will be like u My King!
May 6, 2012
Great movie! Shows the story of David very well
February 7, 2011
This film had its moments. David killing Goliath was fun to watch, Absalom getting caught in the tree was a nice chase scene, and David seeing Bathsheba for the first time was moving (yes there is nudity, but it is tasteful). There were half dozen, or so, other scenes that were interesting to watch as stand alone moments. That being said, the film as a whole was disappointing. The plot was hurried and difficult to follow, the dialogue was mediocre, and there was insufficient character development.
½ July 27, 2010
This is an attempt to tell the Biblical story of King David. They do a good job of showing the culture of the ancient Israelites but Hollywood seems to think they can be as fast and lose with Bible stories as they are with any other book. This movie isn't as bad as some of the movies made in the 1950's based on Bible stories but they did make a few changes. In the Bible it is told that David committed fornication with Bathsheba but in the movie it's covered up. Then they throw in a couple of nude scenes and should have had an R rating. It got a PG-13. The battle scenes are OK. I'm not sure they got the bronze age weapons correct. King David brought the secret of iron from the Philistines to the Israelites. This isn't shown in the movie but it is in the Bible. I've got this movie on Laserdisc. After watching this movie read the Old Testament. David is one of the major characters of the Bible. Everyone should read and know the story of David.
October 9, 2009
This is a movie based off the biblical story of David. The film stars Richard Gere as David. He is quite good in this role. The film is well done and the story entertaining. My favorite scene though is the famous David Vs Goliath fight. I also like how they go into David's adult life and his problems as king. Worth at least a one time watch.
½ September 9, 2009
Not for me. Some Bible stories play great across the Big Screen - this i'm afraid is not one of them.
August 16, 2009
a good depiction of King David. Richard gere did a very good job.
April 20, 2009
I remember seeing this in my teens. it's bible, but also down to earth. human flaws still reclaiming faith.
February 28, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie..i think that richard gere, dennis quilley, edward woodward, george eastman, alice krige play good parts thorughout this movie..i think that the director of this Drama, Art House & International movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..its an enjoyable movie its a powerful movie 2 watch but its good 2 watch but it goes on for 2 1/2 hours but its good 2 watch
December 8, 2008
Has no where to go but down. "King David" is a bible tale without a soul.
December 1, 2008
Pretty acurate rendition of the story of the David from the Bible. Richard gere was a great choice for David,you could see his range as an actor in this film. Other than that,the unnecesary nudity really kinda ruined it for me and also the scenes that lead to David greatest sin was really more storytelling taken very lightly than anything else,it could have used more passion in those times where David wrote his greatests lyrics. A very well made movie with a Hollywood vision...worth a look for Richard Gere Fans and Christians.
November 17, 2008
Richard Gere is sexy, King or not, but this movie certainly illustrates the violence of early religion.
½ October 14, 2008
It's a brilliant movie.
September 3, 2008
I just loved they way he danced before the Lord
½ August 12, 2008
Fairly accurate to the Bible stories (with the exception of quite a few details). Many camera angles seemed very amateurish and whatnot. Pretty dry and slightly boring.
½ August 3, 2008
The movie is biblically accurate. It has a gritty and realistic feel. The location and sets give it that stone age look that the Judea of that era would look and feel like. Edward Woodward's performance as Saul is strong. His ability to contort and rant makes a very believable fit of dementia. The only person I think that could have played that better would be Dennis Hopper. This is a very unsung, and underrated film. Richard Gere's performance was nothing short of stunning. The giant Goliath was real, menacing and evil. Bathsehba was a real-world, believable, and a stunning beauty.
July 23, 2008