King Kelly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kelly Reviews

½ January 19, 2015
I was surprised it had decent ratings so I unfortunately started watching. If you like obnoxious high pitched ditzy voices then go for it.
September 2, 2014
Ugh. I don't care how satirical this is; it's just not fun to watch.
July 24, 2014
The line between alternative reality reflection & lousy production sometimes looks really thin.
½ April 26, 2014
Damn good, particularly considering the characters are so intentionally awful.
½ April 19, 2014
This extremely hard edged satire of a selfish tween girl who likes to record her life story on her Iphone is both disturbing and darkly funny. This film will surely test anyone's tolerance of spoiled brats and you may within the first 10 mins or so want to turn off this movie. PLEASE DON'T! Also don't take it too seriously. Like I said it's a satire and what Louisa Krause is doing (who plays Kelly) is giving you a VERY flattering portrayal of what some teen girls are like today.

Kelly has a small fan base online. It's mostly catered to perverts that she pleasures herself to on her webcam shows. One fan, a state trooper, is smitten with her. She records every little moment of her life as a way of making herself and her fans get a window into her lifestyle. She's a typical teen with a family that loves her, but not her behavior. It becomes something they can't tolerate and when her webcam shows are brought to light during a family gathering she runs away with a best friend. They indulge (at least Kelly does) in debauchery and other shenanigans. Sex, drugs and Iphone footage of a girl who deludes herself into thinking she's the IT factor. She's not and that sad fact never comes across her mind during the duration of the film.

A very disturbing, but excellent use of satire on the found footage genre. Using it as a source to attack a culture of deluded young people with their Iphones, Facebooks and other things that make them feel self-important makes the film that much more important. It shows what this type of technology can do to people especially if it's in the wrong hands who use it for wrong instead of for good.

Very important this movie is and funny as hell too with a GREAT performance by Louisa Krause!
November 5, 2013
Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a webcam girl is like? Me neither, but I'm glad I was able to find out (sort of). Innovative filmmaking and excellent performances by Louisa Krause, and Rod Hill. If your in the mood for an indie film that thinks outside the box, this one is for you.
½ October 23, 2013
Neel has hit upon a compelling reason for the found-footage gimmick: to indict a narcissistic generation who think their phones make them royalty. I say RENT IT!!!
September 6, 2013
Though it's a rather one-dimensional one-trick pony, at least Neel has hit upon a compelling reason for the found-footage gimmick: to indict a narcissistic generation who think their smart phones make them royalty.
July 31, 2013
better than spring breakers.
½ July 12, 2013
Better than "Spring Breakers".
½ January 2, 2013
this is one of those found footage movies that basks in it's realism and vulgarness
it's the first documentation of a female lead that sees how much is too much for a little fame
here's what can be said about the movie: the main character is such a brat and is very unlikeable, everything she does turns into a complete disaster
I find her parents more relatable
however, 'King Kelly' does show the hardship of selling yourself for money and gets mixed up in a world of sex, drugs and violence
anyone with a cellphone these days can record themselves and in the process capture the terrible reality overnight
people respond often with curiosity or harsh criticism, it doesn't matter how big of a star you are
the film shifts from being fun to unbelievability to unbearable
the price Kelly pays ends up shaking her claim to fame
the ending just stops the film and again it should have ended on a more clear note
I do admire though the direction the filmmakers were aiming at
December 26, 2012
A must see. Loved the opening of the movie... Really enjoyed this one.
December 9, 2012
Saw this at Cinema Village. Audience loved it. Personally I loved Louisa Krause who plays King Kelly. It a pretty unhinged breakout performance.
December 6, 2012
This movie is amazing!! And by the way, that Rotten Tomatoes audience percentage IS INCORRECT: if over 200 voters gave it on average a 4.4 out of 5 rating, no way does it have a 33% "liked it" score. Flixster needs to fix this. Thanks.
December 5, 2012
I loved this film. The point-of-view filming style really makes you feel like you are there with Kelly and her accomplice & best friend Jordan. I definitely recommend it!!!!!!!!
December 3, 2012
You're going to love every minute of it. It's about the girl you've always wanted but could never handle.
December 2, 2012
No headache involved. This movie was brilliantly crafted. While it entertained immensely the audience I saw it with at Cinema village it addressed an issue that we have just barely begun to realize. The narcissism of our youth culture that pertains to social media in all it's forms.
December 2, 2012
King Kelly is a wonderfully terrifying depiction of Generation Me's narcissism. It makes you want to throw your iPhone in the nearest garbage dump, but then you end up reviewing the film from your iPhone, feeling ashamed. It definitely begs us to take a look at the self-involvement and excessive connectedness that comes along with technology and consider what happens when that gets into the hands of the impulsivity of our adolescents. Scary, scary, scary.
December 2, 2012
Groundbreaking and thought provoking. Unlike anything else I've seen. It works on many levels in unexpected ways. Plus, very entertaining and funny in a sardonic way. Great performances by Krause and Woodbridge.
November 30, 2012
Sounds like another headache-inducing shaky camera movie.