The King Maker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King Maker Reviews

½ June 7, 2014
Adventure movie based in true facts. It tells the story of Fernando de Gama, a Portuguese mercenary that lived in the 16th century that lands in Siam after a shipwreck. He is rescued from slavery by beautiful Maria, daughter of Philippe a mysterious Portuguese nobleman working for the royal family. After a murder attempt the king hires Fernando as his bodyguard and slowly he starts to unravel a plot of assassination that leads him to Philippe, the hired hand of the true plotter, the Queen.
This is a weird mixture of martial arts film with royal drama in the line of Macbeth and Hamlet.
There are a few good things to say about the movie if you can get past the really bad acting and the inadequate soundtrack, such as the locations and the battle scenes. However it remains a B -or C or D- movie with serious flaws in the development of the story and an extremely childish dialogue (to the point of actually make you cringe). Retouching it wouldn't help, you would have to take it from the top and redo the whole picture. Don't waste your time with this.
½ December 25, 2013
The costumes and setting are good to very good. The music is very good to superb. However, the acting is mostly poor to average with some going into above average to good. Even John Rhys-Davies knows it. The action choreography is dated and sometimes hilarious as you see people rising up with "invisible lines" on their backs.

I think there was a lot of love in this project at first but somewhere along the lines it all got lost at the expense of the characters and story/plotting.

OVERALL GRADE: C plus.
December 10, 2013
i just spent 2 hours on this pussy movie by the tv set. jesus super lame acting.
½ May 5, 2013
Entire movie is easily forgettable.Dont waste your time.
½ March 7, 2013
Ok...I finished this movie because despite the fact they did nothing right, it did veer very close to the "so awful it comes full circle to AWESOME" line. Unfortunately, altho the special effects were awful (anyone else notice Asians' blood looked a lot like grape juice?), the acting was laugh out loud funny and the plot was tarded, I think it was supposed to be for realz. I don't know what college the guy below me got his "historian" credentials from, but other than "10,000 BC" (a prime example of a movie crossing the shitty-to-amazing threshold, as it were), this stupid piece of shit movie is honestly the most historically inaccurate movie I have seen.
August 30, 2012
this movie was so bad... it was completely laughable! it might as well have been a comedy. i laughed that much! the acting sucks, the the whole things looks like they spent a total of 2 dollars on the whole production. the graphics could have been done in someone's living room. the costumes could have been purchased at any local iparty. i would only recommend this movie if you like to make fun of/ laugh hysterically at shitty movies.
May 13, 2012
Great true story line, athentic scenery, beautiful costumes, but the acting was not great. It was ok for a low budget film.
½ February 13, 2012
There's clearly some good work put into the scenery and setting. The plot is just about acceptable, but development is often slow. The weak part of this film is its collection of weak actors.
September 21, 2011
½ June 29, 2010
Historically accurate? Who knows. A good movie? Decidedly not. Poor acting, even from John Rhys-Davies whom I usually enjoy. The costumes were the most asinine looking things I've seen in quite a while. Classic story of a queen usurping the power of her husband, though without much in the way of intrigue or imagination. I gave it a higher rating than it actually deserves for Rhys-Davies and the beauty (not the talent) of Burbridge.
March 24, 2010
Great action and a good story line will keep one enthralled.
½ September 25, 2009
The atrocious acting might be funny, but unfortunately it's all deadly serious. Really, quite bad.
½ February 22, 2009
½ January 4, 2009
Had hoped for more but was sorely disappointed by the acting.
September 13, 2008
Poor acting and dorky scenes, but an okey story.
September 9, 2008
As a historian, I thought this was a really great movie. The plot was not complicated, the acting was mediocre, but the historical accuracy blew me away. This movie had everything - sexy, evil Thai queen? yes. flying Japanese ninjas? yes. romantic Iberian Don Juan? yes. Not to mention the slow motion river battle, the battle elephants... So go see it! It's a great mix of cultures.
August 10, 2008
The King Maker is a film about a series of real (citation needed) events that occurred during the Portuguese Occupation in Indochina.
Although the costumes and art direction are commendable, the movie still fails to impress the viewer. The acting, in particular, was extremely poor. Some of the actors are trying hard to let tears down and the accents, both real and fake, are extremely irritating. The storyline was also too dumb and too stupid to be true and it seemed more like a history lesson. The movie couldn't even capture that sort of regal and century-old air and it looked more like a botched attempt to make an Asian version of Elizabeth.
Final say? Costumes and art direction give the film a breath of fresh air, but the execution was extremely poor and the actors couldn't even give natural bursts of emotion. In short, the movie sounded more like hullabaloo than a script.
½ August 6, 2008
even though i watched da startin n endin....it waz interesting
½ July 30, 2008
hey friends dont watch this movie.
July 24, 2008
crap acting, bad direction, and awful action Choreography avoid at all costs!!