The King Maker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King Maker Reviews

July 9, 2008
Enjoyed the sets and the epic amount of extras. Terrible acting, should've let the actors use their natural language as their english was terrible. Will need to find more movies with Cindy in it, hopefully better ones. Costumes and sets are the only thing this movie has going for it.
½ May 28, 2008
What a waste of film. I have never seen such a cheaply made film in my life
May 12, 2008
Great true story line, athentic scenery, beautiful costumes, but the acting was not great. It was ok for a low budget film.
May 11, 2008
based on true story..lbh krg blaja srjrah siam la..not bad la..
May 7, 2008
The King Maker is a film about a series of real (citation needed) events that occurred during the Portuguese Occupation in Indochina.

Although the costumes and art direction are commendable, the movie still fails to impress the viewer. The acting, in particular, was extremely poor. Some of the actors are trying hard to let tears down and the accents, both real and fake, are extremely irritating. The storyline was also too dumb and too stupid to be true and it seemed more like a history lesson. The movie couldn't even capture that sort of regal and century-old air and it looked more like a botched attempt to make an Asian version of Elizabeth.

Final say? Costumes and art direction give the film a breath of fresh air, but the execution was extremely poor and the actors couldn't even give natural bursts of emotion. In short, the movie sounded more like hullabaloo than a script.
April 3, 2008
This movie was alright... The Thai people (no offense) didn't do the English right, which gave the movie a very dubbed feel. I don't understand the title at all, either.
March 10, 2008
Don't rent this worse group of actors, dissapoiinted.
½ February 18, 2008
Is there a 0 star option? Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Should've burned it.
½ February 17, 2008
I had high hopes since I love historical movies, and this one involved an interest of mine: Cross-cultural Relations in the Renaissance. But, this movie was just so bad--effects, acting, accents, etc. I must've thought "This is horrible" about 50 times during the movie. That's never a good thing.
½ February 17, 2008
In 1547 Fernando De Gama, a young "Soldier of Fortune" from Portugal, set sail for the Orient in a bid to find the man that murdered his father and, with luck, like many of his fellow countrymen,to ma...( read more )ke his fortune. A vicious storm in the Indian ocean almost ended his plans when the ship he was on sank. The sole survivor, he was washed up on a tropical beach only to be captured by Arab slavers and taken to Ayutthaya in the kingdom of Siam where he was offered for sale as a slave. He is rescued from slavery when a beautiful young woman Maria, also from Portugal, living in Ayutthaya with her father, buys him from the Arabs and restores his freedom. Not suprisingly he falls for Maria and Maria him, much to the chagrin of Maria's Father. As an experienced soldier his services are soon in demand when the King of Siam declares war on a Northern renegade pretender and all of the Portuguese colony are press-ganged into the service of the King. Predictably, Fernando's experience and gallantry in the heat of battle, gain favour with the King who commands him to be one of his honoured personal Guard along with a new found Thai friend of tremendous gallantry, Tong. Unbeknownst to the king, his beautiful but devious wife, Queen Sudachan, plots to kill him and place her lover on the throne. The first attempt by the Queen to rid herself of the king fails and she enlists the services of Phillippe, who it transpires was the murderer of Fernando's father. He in turn organises another failed attempt on the Kings life. As trusted guardians of the king, Fernando and Tong discover that Phillippe is involved but is killed during an attempt to arrest him. They subsequently discover that the perpetrator is the Queen but are to late to save the king who has already succumbed to her poison. The blame for the kings death is fostered upon Fernando and Tong who are arrested and forced to fight each other to the death for the amusement of Queen Sudachan and her lover, the new king. but in the end the evil didnt last long because the two had made to kill the new king in the event of their fighting to each other, the queen become so mad and order to kill those two but the brother of the late king return on time and proved the deceit of the queen..
February 12, 2008
Holy hells this was bad. Some of the wire fu was okay. Hideously, unintentionally comedic.
January 18, 2008
I give this movie 3 stars purely because the movie was so poorly done that it was funny.
½ January 1, 2008
It could have been done better with the fact it was a true story.
½ January 1, 2008
This was a true story.Only a few good actors.The Ninja's were badly done since when do ninja's make noise when walking.
½ November 21, 2007
This is the worst movie I've seen since... I don't even know what. I wanted to stab out my own eyes but I couldn't look away.
½ November 15, 2007
Might be the worst movie I have ever seen even the hot chick couldn't save it
November 10, 2007
The PERFECT comedy movie! Seriously, if you're down in the dumps, rent this movie and laugh at how atrociously bad the acting, CGI, and plot are and your day will be better. Do not take this movie seriously, and you will have a grand ol' time.
½ November 9, 2007
It was a good story, but the action, and characters were a bit cheesy with not strong abilities to make this a great movie. The set design was the only attractive thing in the movie. It could have been made better if it had a stronger director with great action. It failed at that. Unfortunately.
½ October 31, 2007
Good plot - bad acting.
½ October 30, 2007
Ahh, the good old 16th century.. when packs of enemies would wait patiently to fight you one at a time, and blood was bright red.

Puerto Ricans speaking the Queen's English in American accents. The worst CGI effects ever to be shown on film (watch out for that elephant tusk!).

Emotions shift quickly and unrealistically (You killed my father - no don't kill him!), and the acting is completely wooden. Do NOT see this movie unless it is for comedic value.