King of the Zombies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King of the Zombies Reviews

April 24, 2017
What's not to love in this movie! Great comedy by Mantan Moreland, and reaalitivoey good acting all around. This movie was awesome. I just wish the camera angles were better, and that we got to of seen more of the island. The story kept you interested all the way through. Never a dull moment. Also this movie is interesting to watch because of the way zombies were protracted back then. Instead of zombies coming from a virus like they do today back in 1941 it was all voodoo which is cool to see.
December 14, 2016
good WWII horror classic
May 31, 2016
Low budget and low brow Monogram horror-comedy in which Mantan Moreland steals the show and gets all the best lines in an otherwise stiff, that is zombiefied, script.
½ August 31, 2014
it's a good movie of the time :)
January 4, 2014
Using WW2 and Black comedians for a thrill in a supposedly zombie film, does not work!
October 19, 2013
One of the Gloriously Outrageous Treats of 1940s Junk Cinema--Voodoo Hijinks!!
½ August 21, 2013
Politically incorrect, but interesting and sometimes very funny horror/comedy. While it has plenty of black racial stereotypes, surprisingly Mantan Moreland is the true star of the picture and the sanest person in the whole cast.
366weirdmovies
March 12, 2013
Three men crash land their plane on a Caribbean island where a doctor with a German accent is secretly creating a mini-army of "sombies." As the cowardly black butler, Mantan Moreland steals the show ("zombies is dead folks what's too lazy to lay down"); his role is stereotypical minstrel show stuff, but his delivery is killer, and he's the only living thing in the otherwise brain-dead movie.
½ February 24, 2013
Lacklustre zombie comedy has a few laughs, mostly thanks to comic performer Mantan Moreland
February 6, 2013
So I really really liked this film. It feels as if it is no way shape or form a horror production at all and revolves around the ignorance and humor of Jeff the films racist model. The film has a great campy atmosphere, and does not at all take itself to serious. It gently rolls everything along and constantly tosses humor at you. The whole plot is that two men and their servant Jeff; who I honestly thought stole the show as he is so lovable. But these two men hear a distress call in their plane and attempt to land to investigate but wind up crashing on a strange island inhabited by voodoo magic. The plot doesn't really make much sense as the film progresses, but it really is strong with that cheese factor and all that campy goodness. The character Jeff is what this film is really about, to me its as if I child so innocent was in a big guys body, he doesn't really know how to act to well, and his eyes are always bulging out of his head, but he's innocent and pure and just having a good time. However the end of the movie just feels rushed and slapped together just to tie the end of the movie in. There's a nice little happy ending and everything works out in the end even. This movie just touched me on a very basic level, I love movies that don't take themselves to seriously, have a good comedic relief element and a flare of the great unknown and mysterious. Its good old fashioned family racism in my opinion, in a sense that you are well aware that they are stereotyping someone but its not completely in a negative way and it helps the film flow along. A few points off for needless scenes and at times it felt the film was dragging on a bit, but that was mainly at the end. I really do recommend this film for any horror classic film, its definitely worth a watch although I must say its hard to call it a horror classic.. more like a horror/comedy classic...with more emphasis on comedy, but gives you that much sought after feel good feeling. Check it out, again its public domain so youtube it!
January 16, 2013
Wacky, but a bit dumb. The characters are typical, the voodoo zombies aren't really horrifying, but the plot is decent and there's plenty of laughs and black humor. It gets a bit slow after the beginning though, but I wouldn't think of it as bad. Fun and dark.
January 10, 2013
What? This movie is sick! Top 10 zombie movies. Hilariousness.
½ October 24, 2012
Reviewers are all wet. This is a comedy, not a chiller, and it matters not one bit that many of the laughs are unintentional. Mantan Moreland is absolutely brilliant here; idiots who carp about 'political incorrectness' are missing both the subtlety and the hilarity this underrated comic brings to the screen. Too bad. When Moreland's not onscreen, the production itself is so laughably bad you'll still find something to chuckle about.
July 31, 2012
I love old monster movies but this is way off from being one of the best. Not even much of an attempt at any scares. However there are always redeeming qualities and in this movie it is Jeff, the servant who has all the best scenes and one liners. Worth watching for him alone. 3/10
March 31, 2012
Hilarious, racist and just a hoot to watch. Reminds of the old Stooges shorts when they were staying in a haunted house. Not much on horror here, so skip it if you're looking for that.
½ January 21, 2012
Tacky pre-zombie flick from the 40s - a movie decade known mainly for not being as good as the 30s - with an air of blandness to it and a plot that really doesn't make much sense. Every character is paper-thin and forgettable, with the exception of Mantan Moreland's role, that is instead so over-the-top stereotypically racist that you often don't know whether to cringe or laugh. Nothing much to see here, but my love of black-and-white B-horror prevents me from outright disliking it. After all, it's no Horrors of Spider Island...
October 24, 2011
The only reason to watch this low-budget,lightweight comedy is Mantan Moreland. He delivers the best lines while our heroes stumble around on a remote island in the Caribbean at the mansion of Viennese Dr. Sangre who gives them rooms and food to spend the night. James "Mac" McCarthy is flying with his friend Bill Summers and his black butler, Jefferson Jackson, when they enter an area somewhat like the Bermuda Triangle and wind up crashing on the island in--of all places--a graveyard. As it turns out, U.S. General Wainwright has been captured by Sangre--who may be working for the Nazis--and Sangre wants to learn everything from Wainwright that he can about the defenses of the Panama Canal. Monogram Pictures released KING OF THE ZOMBIES on the eve of World War II and like most pre-World War II movies, the Production Code Administration refused to let the studios assign a national identity to the enemies. Mantan has a field day, especially when he mistakenly believes that he has been turned into a zombie. Dr. Sangre is prepared to do anything to extract the information from Wainwright. At one point, Sangre calls on a voodoo priestess to try to get the information out of the reluctant Wainwright and into another person. Dick Purcell plays the rugged one of the two who tangles with Dr. Sangre and becomes a quasi-zombie. Zombies in this movie are nothing like those in a George Romero flick. They don't munch on people and drink their blood. They merely shuffle about and they don't take salt in their food.
½ September 21, 2011
King of the Zombies is quite interesting, but real cheesy. The film has two secret service guys and their butler (Mantan Moreland) crashing in a mysterious island, inhabited by a strange man. This man is very sneaky guy, but my interested was concentrated on Moreland because he plays his character in an insensitive stereotypical manner of a black man. I believe if he refused, then he would have been fired and a Caucasian would have been hired and given blackface paint. Anyways, Jeff (Moreland) is not really funny, but amusing. The filmā??s ending is really to yawn forward.
August 20, 2011
If you can get past the stereotypical manner in which black actors were used in this era, then you might actually like this movie. This movie is not about "modern" zombies, this movie deals with caribbean voodoo style zombies. I believe this was supposed to be a horror comedy, but in all frankness, I found it very difficult to stay mentally invested..the way the main black actor was portrayed seriously distracted me. Marguerite Whitten gave the best performance in the movie as the maid or cook or whatever she was..its a shame the rest of the cast didn't follow her lead.
½ July 20, 2011
King of the Zombies is so unintentionally (intentionally?) funny that it's almost good.