Kingdom of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kingdom of Heaven Reviews

June 12, 2017
the movie is about how the religion was a life style, more than a belief. Is very interestig how the movie shows the crusaders' services for the king, and how the fact to be from another countrie converts you in a bad person or in a slave. the poberty rules the hills and the richest people were the kings and their knights. they thougt the priests were something like a king but they didn't have power under the nation. Pope were the powerfull person and their servants had to gave their lifes for him.all the nations were divides by the religion christians or muslim and if invade another countri you could be murder and nobody can say o do something. And you could be the change, if you were a king's son you coul had the power to do something positive in the life of the people.
June 12, 2017
It is a very interesting film. I enjoyed dialogue, plot and action, as it deals with heroes, both Christian and Muslim, who are men of honor. A spectacular battle scene involves the attack of Saladin forces in Jerusalem controlled by The Christians, and it is one of those spectacular pieces with giant balls of fire that rush through the air and land nearby.
June 12, 2017
My opinion about the film Kingdom of Heaven of Epic Genre produced by Ridley Scott. ; It is great and very interesting that keeps the viewer entertained every minute of the film is also important to mention the excellent historical setting, spectacular action scenes and a great sense of the epic. This production deals with themes about revenge, deaths dominate the power and this is reflected in that in film Kingdom of heaven there is no emotional connection with the viewer, it is a film totally cold and distant.
June 12, 2017
The film Kingdom of Heaven is interesting because of the way it approaches religion, being a means of criticism of the official clerical estates and the way in which it shows how wars were produced, and because of what. In addition, it is a clear example of the extremism that could become the religion and how the different Crusades were realized, considering that their only means of transport were the horses and the long trips that they had to realize passing through deserts. In my opinion it is a good movie because it allows us to know a little history of the twelfth century in a different and more entertaining way. Also the interpretation that performs each actor of his respective personage is to congratulate, since they do it in an excellent way, allowing to understand what they lived there.
June 12, 2017
Kingdom of Heaven is a beautifully designed tale of a blacksmith who takes on the crusade in hopes of finding forgiveness from God. Balian and his people withstand the might of Saladin's fiery projectiles, The violence is bloody and the action is as it should be.This film shows the tenacity and ability of people to deal with problems, shows the courage and determination of Balian in the war against Saladin in Jerusalem. I recommend watching this movie because it takes you to a different time, and the story is very good, it makes you want to see it again.
June 6, 2017
Master piece that many cinema novice fail to grasp due to underlying "personal" issues with Orlando Bloom.
½ May 20, 2017
It ist pretty weird, why especially critics didn't get this movie. Maybe it's because, they've expected from Sir Ridley Scott something like a new Gladiator. Maybe it's because they've recently watched movies like Troy, The Last Samurai, Pirates of the Carribbean, Star Wars III or (of course) The Lord of the Rings. Just one year before Kingdom came out, it was Oliver Stone's Alexander and maybe that was the picture bringing critics to the point of satiety in terms of the (by Scott) revisited genre of historical epic drama film. So maybe Kingdom of Heaven made it's way on the big screen just at the wrong time. But it wouldn't have been the right time, if Ridley had done Kingdom instead of Gladiator in the year 2000. Gladiator is a tight historical action thriller. (With the Extended Cut it becomes an essay on modern day entertainment culture) But what is Kingdom of Heaven? To me, it is kind of the last »Big Budget Arthouse Film« (The Director's Cut respectivley) It has a slow pacing until the Action Sequences, wich is one of Scott's trademarks in his early work. It's protagonist is an introvert guy struggling with his faith. And it has such a beautiful length like the historical epics of the 50s and 60s. At last but not least, it has a lot of scenes with quite few dialogue. Well, that's definetly no blockbuster stuff! Imagine a director today would pitch a big-budget period piece, 3 hours long, with a lamenting philosopher hero as the protagonist, dealing with complex political issues. And keep in mind, it ought combat all the marvel stuff of the present day. No studio would greenlight a piece like this. So even back in 2005, right before the financial crisis put it's fingerprint on the film industry, it was truly a miracle, that this movie was managed to be made. Thank God for this! And thank Ridley!!! Kingdom of Heaven may lack in the dramatic structure, but other masterpieces of cinema do so as well. Look at 2001: A Space Odyssey. Look at Stalker. Look at Apocalypse Now. Their narratives are fragmented, or even non-narratives. And for those reasons, they were box office dissapointments when they first came out. But it is not only the dramatic structure, that defines a masterpiece. And in terms of Kingdom of Heaven, there is one quality in particular, that's commonly called »cinematic storytelling« In this movie you can see a very accurate relation between the images and the story they tell. I don't want to analyze the whole picture right here, you'd need to write a book to do so. But if you watch carefully, you'll notice, that the environment of the setting is always a reflection of the protagonist's inner dispositon. Just one example: At the beginning we're in a snowy France: A mirror to Balian's inner state, because his faith has frozen after the passing of his wife. Then he comes to the holy land in search of salvation. But he finds himself not in a paradise-like country, but in a wasteland, a desert, where people are not fighting for faith, but for power. The desert reflects his disillusionment. But then, when he's in Ibelin, the desert thrives and becomes green, thanks to Balian's deeds. And like the desert, Balian's spirituality thrives again, but not because he's find his way back into faith. He finds the path of humanity. And when he finally returns home, the winter has passed and the spring bursts into bloom again. So what is Kingdom of Heaven? It is old-fashioned storytelling in the best sense. It is David Lean, it is Kurosawa, with a bit of Terrence Malick and some Andrej Tarkovsky. One can only hope, that it will recieve it's place among the great pieces of cinema, when some time has passed. And if not, it remains in our heart as Ridley Scott's lost masterpiece!
May 14, 2017
Some movies get better over time. Everyone I know scoffs with bewilderment when I say this is my favorite film of all time. At its core is a blacksmith who goes on crusade because he believes he's committed an unforgivable sin. Along the way you see how pervasive and twisted Medieval notions of religion arecompared to modern sensibilities based on the number of times and ways in which the will of God is invoked by crusaders and Muslims alike. Set in between the 2nd and 3rd crusades there exists an uneasy peace between the Christian king of Jerusalem and the Muslim sultan Saladin. Those who are students of the history of this time period would note correct points of historical accuracy (easter eggs) in that Saladin did reconquer Jerusalem, Balian was the defender fighting for safe passage of its inhabitants, there was a leper king, and there is even a cameo by Richard the Lionheart. The villain of the film Guy de Lusignan is played brilliantly by Marton Csokas. Although a member of the Christian knights templar, he's identified early on by the disdain of Balian's father Godfrey played by Liam Neeson. Their brief exchange culminates with a medieval your mama joke. Guy and Reynald are not the bad guys of the film only due to Godfrey and Balian's personal dislike nor is it solely in that they are subverting the will of the king. It's in their worldview of the crusades that there must be war between Christian and Muslims, and they are willing to raid caravans and kill innocents to force the issue. The turning point in the film is the refusal of Balian in Baldwin and Tiberius's plan, because it would amount to murder. Even if the person deserves it and life would be better for everyone if Balian goes along, his whole reason for taking the crusade was to find redemption. Every one of the rest us would have taken the king's offer, but without it you wouldn't have the setup for the film's final and most blood-drenched act. Instead of trying convince people of how perfect this film, over the years I've come to the conclusion that it's not for everybody. But if this sort of thing does interest you I think you'll end up loving this film more than the passing summer blockbuster that you'll enjoy but soon forget. My advice is not to start with the director's cut but the theatrical version. The extra layers of the story are fine for fanatics but not necessary to form your initial opinion.
½ April 23, 2017
The Director's Cut only. Far superior in character and breadth. Ridley Scott at his height.
½ April 1, 2017
Openly racist movie: the gentle Christians, the wicked Muslim to whom the white gentle learns how to dig a well ...
March 29, 2017
I have come back to watch this film several times since it's released for many reasons. One of which is my constant question on Bloom. It's takin a while but I've concluded that with the dialogue, progression and what's happened to him his depiction is actually portrayed well. Here's why. He is a man who has lost everything and progressively coming into his own as a man. People are telling him there opinions and he is learning, taking things in and understanding so that he is no longer reactive (killing his brother in the beginning although he deserved it) but pensive, introspective and quiet. In act 3 you can see his faith and confidence in who he is becoming is apparent and believable. The film puts a lot of pressure on him to act without saying anything and some actors are inherently amazing at portraying that like Tom Hardy, Gosling or DiCaprio. However those actors all were perceived as talented and are established before taking on there first leading 100 mil drama films and notions were that they are talented because they had done enough to prove it. With Bloom he hasn't done any films that require him to truly act and gain the respect so when I first saw him my notion was oh he sucks but if u take into account the way he slowly and progressively portrays himself you will see the qualities I'm talking about. End of the day he's just a little above average but the director cut of this film is not just visually beautiful, it has the ability to sink in and appreciate if you can get past some of its pre conceived character short comings. I loved the film and I knew that the Bloom casting was bugging me but couldn't put my finger on it until I allowed my self to look at it from another perspective.
March 28, 2017
The Director's Cut adds essential material to Scott's thoughtful, pensive, and technically masterful medieval epic.
½ March 27, 2017
DIRECTOR'S CUT: A well told story of redemption in a harrowing epic. (Go see the Director's Cut; it's more fleshed out and is a near, epic masterpiece.)
March 3, 2017
A fictionalized historical narrative of the real Balian of Ibelin, this film follows the son of Godfrey from his humble beginnings in medieval Europe into the desert wastes of the Holy Land. It bears witness to the political corruption and intrigues which ultimately destroyed the Latin Kingdom, and provides an account of the loss of Jerusalem to Saladin and Islam in 1185.
½ January 23, 2017
epic, silly sentiments but who cares. Ed Norton is Oscar class
½ January 22, 2017
7/10 - A great movie although not historically correct but as a movie it was a good watch.
January 19, 2017
I think many critics missed the thrust of this movie, so to speak. Especially in our time, the pull and demands of religious zealotry, the art of statesmanship (or lack thereof), the value and meaning of a piece of land soaked in blood. It's like most film critics were just too busy that day to take a closer look.
January 5, 2017
When I saw the title and the poster, I must admit that I wasn't intrigued. But... Brendan Gleeson? Jeremy Irons? EDWARD NORTON?! Must see list.
December 30, 2016
Its like Gladiator, but more than it needs to be.
½ December 27, 2016
In 1184 France, Balian (Orlando Bloom), a blacksmith, is haunted by his wife's recent suicide. A Crusader passing through the village introduces himself as Balian's father, Baron Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson), and asks him to return with him to the Holy Land, but Balian declines. The town priest, Balian's half-brother, reveals that he ordered Balian's wife beheaded before burial, and Balian kills him in a fit of rage and flees the village. Balian joins his father, hoping to gain forgiveness and redemption for himself and his wife in Jerusalem. Soldiers sent by the bishop arrive to arrest Balian, but Godfrey refuses to surrender him, and in the ensuing attack, Godfrey is struck by an arrow that breaks off in his body, fatally wounding him. In Messina, Godfrey knights Balian and orders him to serve the King of Jerusalem and protect the helpless, then succumbs to his injuries. During Balian's journey to Jerusalem his ship runs aground in a storm, leaving Balian the only survivor. Balian is confronted by a Muslim cavalier, who attacks him over his horse. Balian reluctantly slays the cavalier but spares the man's servant, and the man tells Balian that his deed will gain him fame and respect among the Saracens. Balian becomes acquainted with Jerusalem's political arena: the leper King Baldwin IV (Edward Norton); Tiberias (Jeremy Irons), the Marshal of Jerusalem; the King's sister, Princess Sibylla (Eva Green); and her husband Guy de Lusignan (Marton Csokas), who supports the anti-Muslim activities of brutal factions like the Knights Templar. After Baldwin's death, Guy intends to break the fragile truce with the sultan Saladin and make war on the Muslims...

Upon its release, "Kingdom of Heaven" was met with a mixed reception, with many critics being divided on the film. Critics such as Roger Ebert, found the film's message to be deeper than that of Scott's Gladiator. The cast was widely praised. Jack Moore described Edward Norton's performance as the leper-king Baldwin as "phenomenal", and "so far removed from anything that he has ever done that we see the true complexities of his talent". The Syrian actor Ghassan Massoud was praised for his portrayal of Saladin, described in The New York Times as "cool as a tall glass of water". Also commended were Eva Green, who plays Princess Sibylla "with a measure of cool that defies her surroundings", and Jeremy Irons. Lead actor Bloom's performance generally elicited a lukewarm reception from American critics, with the Boston Globe stating Bloom was "not actively bad as Balian of Ibelin", but nevertheless "seems like a man holding the fort for a genuine star who never arrives". One critic conceded that Balian was more of a "brave and principled thinker-warrior" rather than a strong commander, and Balian used brains rather than brawn to gain advantage in battle.

"Kingdom of Heaven" could´ve been an epic historical drama with a touch of "Spartacus" or "Ben-Hur" to it, but Scott manages to strangle anything that could go in that direction. First of all, putting Orlando Bloom in the lead role as Balian is a miscasting of big proportions as he simply don´t have the charisma, acting skills nor prescence to handle that sort of role. Second of all the acting is wishy washy and overacting is the main pillar from most involved. Third of all, the storyline is not fully logic nor interesting. Does it make sense that a blacksmith becomes a war leader, warrior extraordinaire and strategic wonder from out of nowhere? It´s a wonder how everything went pearshaped in this film with such an ensemble including names like Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Michael Sheen, Liam Neeson etc. The problem here is also that everything in "Kingdom of Heaven" becomes almost comical compared to the fantastic "Gladiator" which keeps itself on the right track to be convincing, entertaining and magic. I disliked "Kingdom of Heaven" when it came out and I still dislike "Kingdom of Heaven" when re-seeing it some week ago.