Kingdom of the Spiders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kingdom of the Spiders Reviews

April 23, 2015
Kingdom of the Spiders is a movie that I saw a couple of times on TBS when I was a kid and it always left an impression on me. I wasn't old or wise enough to judge it by its quality, of course, but I do know that it scared the hell out of me. It doesn't help that I'm a bit of an arachnaphobe. Looking at it today, I can separate myself from that fear and enjoy it for what it is: a funny bad movie. It has a few familiar faces, William Shatner being just one of them, and it does get ridiculous at how relentless the spiders are. It reminded me of Night of the Living Dead quite a bit, as these people eventually board themselves up, trying to escape the little buggers. The ending was also nice for a change, which I won't spoil if you haven't seen it. I also recognized the unmistakable music cue for the Spanish Inquisition, which did make me laugh quite a bit. It's no horror masterpiece or anything like that, but the film does have some creepy crawliness to it and plenty of camp to keep bad movie fans smiling.
½ April 3, 2015
Admiral James T. Kirk battles tarantula Cling-ons.
½ February 9, 2015
Starts slow, but has more realistic acting than most of today's blockbusters. Shatner is impressive as expected and the plot plus victims is a good show.
½ November 14, 2014
It's an okay movie, but it could have been better. 46/100
TheDudeLebowski65
May 21, 2014
Strictly for Cult film fans, Kingdom of the Spiders is the definition of so bad it's good filmmaking. The film stars William Shatner and focuses on a small town terrorized by spiders. This is an enjoyable schlock fest that is sure to please genre fans, and it's a fun nature gone awry film, but it's also one that you need to go into with an empty head to really enjoy due to the fact that many scenes in the film are downright ridiculous such as when a woman shoots a spider off her hand and in the process shoots two of her fingers off. I mean, really? What the hell was that? Oh well, it was a pretty funny scene, and it will definitely make the viewer laugh in disbelief and the character sheer stupidity. Kingdom of the Spiders is a fun, entertaining midnight movie, a film that will entertain viewers that enjoy these movies. The film is pure 70's cheese, and it pulls it off very well, and in the mid to late 70's, everyone seemed to want to make a nature gone wild film due to the success of Jaws, and spiders seemed to be the next logical step in furthering this sub genre of horror film. Like I said, this is strictly for cult film fans, and if you're not familiar with the genre, you may want to pass this one up, but to those that enjoy, mindless, cheesy horror films, and then you'll find exactly what you're looking for with this movie. There is enough tongue in cheek moments and mindless entertainment value to be had in the film and the story itself is interesting, but it also uses the typical, clichéd nature gone wild formula that we've already seen many times before. Kingdom of the Spiders is sure to please genre fans, but it won't do anything to casual viewers.
May 13, 2014
I went into Kingdom of the Spiders with extremely low expectations and my predictions weren't wrong. From horrible acting to just outright stupid plotlines, this movie had more problems than I can count. And don't even get me started on the ending, if you can even call it an ending. First of all the way the characters acting towards the spiders was very strange. Nobody in their right mind would go up to these spiders that were becoming more aggressive and killing their livestock would pick them up like they were pets. Also, for some reason the spiders in this movie were intelligent enough to sabotage a fuse box and take out the power in a house. But even after saying all this, I still recommend this movie to you. It was one of the funniest movies I have ever watched.
Kingdom of the Spiders
Kingdom of the Spiders was a very bad movie. The overall concept of the movie was a bad idea. First of all tarantulas don't even make webs, so the spiders could have never incase the people. In addition the cow scene with the multi cam was poorly done. The camera was really jumpy and the cow looked fake the whole time. The acting was not good with the emotions that the characters showed. Also the movie was not realistic in how the main character never died. He got bit just like everyone else but he didn't die somehow. Some scenes had random cuts where people popped up in different places so you could tell where they had cut the scenes. Finally I didn't like the ending of the movie. There seemed to not even be an ending and that it just cut out leaving you hanging. In all I would not give this movie a good rating at all.
½ May 13, 2014
An encrypting tale of suspense, horror, and spine-chilling scenarios, Kingdom of the Spiders presents a tale that will certainly have you checking under your sheets, around corners, and jumping at every vague scratch you feel throughout the rest of the day. Taking place in the Verde Valley, Arizona, Dr. Robert Hanson (William Shatner) has been investigating the mysterious "plague" afflicting a local farmers ranch. The nearby university, having analyzed the blood of the deceased cattle, sends in arachnologist Diane Ashley (Tiffany Bollings.) She concludes that spider venom was the cause of death among the cattle, inciting a tale of romance, suspense, and terror down a spiraling path of web-slinging tarantulas, and live spiders crawling up people's backs, this film is poison to the arachnophobic.
The movie begins insanely slowly, at least in my opinion, but it does begin to pick up into what has become an icon of the classic horror film about an hour into the movie. The dialogue and environment establishes the scene and scenario for the classic rural town that gets plagued by a mysterious force, this force amounting to the presence of venomous tarantulas attacking the townspeople of the Verde Valley.
All in all, this movie is an account of your classic horror film- not to say that a classic horror film can't send chills up your spine. This movie is filled with many, many, movie clichés. Ranging from spiders suspiciously appearing behind car seats and windows, crawling through air vents, and creeping up your leg, this movie will have you checking under your covers when you go to bed at night. This movie is a taste of your classic sci-fi horror film. One thing that sets this movie apart from other classic thrillers is the use of real-life spiders for all of the scenes. Although this has provided concerns from many animal rights groups, this characteristic is what makes the movie.
May 13, 2014
The movie fit the role of a cheesy horror movie from the 70's but they tried too hard to make it into a regular horror film. Even if it wasn't meant to, the movie was meant strictly for. entertainment. Most of the dialogue throughout the movie had nothing to do with the plot and was generally not interesting. Good movies have dialogue that builds up the story and helps it flow through. There are also too many awkward silences in the beginning of the movie which made me get bored of the movie. The only strength the movie had is the set and costume. It went along with the 70's theme. The movie starts off really slow and then the last 25-30 minutes has all the action in it. The spiders show up in random spots in large amounts which also ruined the movie. To go along with that, tarantulas can't even spin webs which takes away the factual element. The film lacked continuity which is a key part in any movie and all it does is make it look stupid. The end of the movie, or lack of, is the type of ending you never want to have. The abrupt ending, which is a drawing, with no plot being solved, was the topping on the cake to a terrible all around movie.
½ May 13, 2014
Kingdom of Spiders was a poorly produced movie with a slow plotline and virtually no ending. However, it was so bad that it was almost good, and not all of it was bad. This movie was about a small town that gets invaded by a swarm of tarantulas and a group of people fighting to survive. There were many flaws in the movie and the quality could have been improved a lot. First of all in the beginning for the intro the camera was very shaky and a tripod should have been used, it was a bad way to start off the movie in terms of camera shots. They did comeback with a decent shot though in the multi-cam with the cow, it was not the most professional but it was a good effect and made it a little more dramatic. Another flaw in the movie was the time period that they were in did not match up with the advancements they had, for example in the beginning the main character gets a phone call and his phone tells him who is calling, they did not have that in this time period. The details in how the spiders acted too were off, first of all, tarantulas don't spin webs, second, how did the spiders open the electrical box and get the power off, and third, how did all of the thousands of spiders that were in the town the night before just get up and leave? This film was mediocre at best and with the lack of ending it made it worse, but I would watch it again because it was so bad it kept me interested.
May 13, 2014
I can honestly say that was the worst movie I have ever watched. This movie was just so weird and awkward. There was no hook and weird transition music. There was random scenes and terrible acting. Tarantulas cannot make webs and throughout the whole movie it showed tons of people dying because they were wrapped in webbing. Not only was that terrible but the effects on the webbing was even worse. None of the main characters died even when they got bit. The ending was awful it showed everything being wrapped in a web with no dead people or spiders being showed. I rate this movie a 0.3 out of 10.
½ May 13, 2014
The Kingdom of the Spiders was a movie that was very poor written and could use many improvements. First, the quality of the movie was extremely poor, at certain times there was parts where it was fuzzing and had the white dots appear. Lighting was also problem, during the cow scene the shot was so dark, even though they had multi-cam the lighting was awful and you could barely see what was happening. The camera work was completely awful at some points. At one point there was a pan shot and they had the camera following the person and the camera was shaking and it was really obvious that the camera was shaking and they still decided to use that clip. Most of the time the movie was extremely predictable and I could guess what the next problem was going to be because they made it so obvious that something was going to happen. They tried with the music to make it more dramatic but that just made it more predictable in the end. Lastly, the acting, some of the characters did not even show expression when they should have. It was hard to watch at times because the acting was so awful throughout the whole movie.
May 13, 2014
I think the kingdom of the spiders was so bad. The movies storyline was awful and has no point. The camera angles looked awful and the acting was terrible. Every time the camera would cut it the actors would be in a completely new position. Kingdom of the spiders was probably the dumbest movie I've ever seen in my life. The quality of the movie was complete trash.
May 13, 2014
kingdom of the spider is an awful movie. there were so many flaws in in it. i would give this movie a 0.5/5 if your going to name something kingdome of the spiders why not have the spiders really big? in the movie if the lady knows that the venom is spider venom then why would you pick it up? they should have just fled the town instead of staying when they knew they were under attack. and why just stay in the house where all the spiders could get you? when they closed up the windrows they were screwing themselves over if any spiders got in because they would be trapped. plus they did not even cover all the windows the spiders could have crawled through. whats with the ending it was so bad like why not have them die or escape why just leave it would the spiders leaving and the town covered in webs? what kind of ending is that no action and no real good plot. the camreas were shaking and why would the a person shoot there hands like just knock it off. not a good movie at all.
May 13, 2014
Kingdom of Spiders was a very corny movie. Throughout the whole movie I thought the acting was very poor, I thought the actors weren't very enthusiastic. On top of poor acting I thought the whole entire movie was very boring and very simplistic. As I watched the movie I found many scenes that were unrealistic. I feel like they could have made this movie a lot more interesting but all they did was kill little spiders. At the end of the movie, it just ended. I thought the ending was very short and left the viewer questioning. The only good thing I enjoyed about this movie is how the actually used real spiders.
½ January 15, 2014
Cheesy and fun but actually a good movie. 7.1/10
November 19, 2013
Kingdom of the Spiders is a typical 1970?s ?horror? film choc-full of cheesy effects, overeating, and blown-up dialogue. Shatner, as usual steals the show as a cowboy who comes face-to-face with an army of tarantulas.
The costuming during the movie was classic 70?s attire that fit the film well enough when each article wasn?t covered in spiders. As for the effects, the low budget was evident as most of the spiders were real tarantulas and other effects were mostly live action.
The plot itself was slow, fairly boring and slightly hard to follow. Scenes dragged on until the last moment when the ?suspense? reached its climax and a window-full of spiders would spontaneously crash onto the star. All in all, like a car crash, it was too bad not to look away from.
November 18, 2013
A terrible movie all around, Kingdom of the Spiders is the epitome of what a horror film should not be, and yet it is somehow popular. Shatner gives this roll his all, but it just wasn't enough to save this film. The dialogue was not terrible; however there were no memorable lines, in the entire hour and half. The film has an adequate build up to the final overrunning of the town, showing that the public really does not know what to do in this situation. However the transition from only a few spiders in a dirt hill on a ranch to a billion of them attacking humans was too quick. We never really got to see the problem progress; the town was just suddenly under attack from spiders. It is because of this that scenes that the spiders suddenly appear where they need to be, like in the pesticide airplane seem unrealistic. Cinematography was alright. Nothing good or bad in the entire movie, it was just average the entire way through. The pace of the movie was up and down in spots where it did not need to be. Up until the group is trapped in the cabin the pace is fast, and then there will suddenly be a break in the action to address the sort of romance going on with Shatner. The main problem with this movie is that every character is so forgettable, except for Shatner. After watching this movie, I can't remember a single character's name. What I can remember is the ridiculous screams, bad acting and absolutely absurd panic scenes. The best example of this I can think of is when it quickly shows the towns overrun with spiders, and panic in the streets. People would get one spider on them, then scream the most cliché horror movie scream and fall over dead, because apparently brushing the spider off and stepping on it is just not an option in the spiderpocalypse.