Kingdom of the Spiders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kingdom of the Spiders Reviews

½ November 18, 2013
Kingdom of the Spiders I believe was a terrible movie. I understand that it was made a while ago, but the idea of it was so unrealistic and stupid, I am not very sure what feelings I was supposed to feel while watching it. I mean was I supposed to feel scared? I was just laughing the whole movie. I did not enjoy this movie for many reasons. First off I hate when movie have credits in the beginning, especially this entrance, it was like 5 minutes long! Also the entrance music sounded awful, after watching the movie I don't think it matched with it at all. Then watching it I think the actors were terrible, and I thought that there were a lot of "awkward scenes" for example when he stops on the highway and jumps with the women into her Camaro ( I didn't like it), and the clothing looked awful. Next you could tell how fake everything was, from the spiders, to the special effects, and the people covered in webs. I know that the theme was protecting the environment and everything because all of the stuff that happened back then, but this movie was completely and utterly unrealistic. I also think that the ending was terrible because it left you hanging! Although this movie was terrible made, I found some scenes humorous. Best performances were the spiders. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone to watch if you want to scare yourself, but if you're looking for a good laugh watch this movie.
November 18, 2013
The Kingdom of the spiders' movie was a movie that you will never forget. It has an interesting plot and an interesting environment. Although, this movie was horrible and is a movie that will make every other movie you've seen seem like the best movie. This film had horrible acting, a horrible dialogue, and a horrible story line. The acting had either lack of emotion like when the farmer's prized cow died and all he could say was "What a crock". The acting also had some weird moments. Like when the little girl was surrounded by spiders on the bed, she was picked up and then dropped on the ground next to another bunch of spiders. The storyline also badly needed work. Half of the time you didn't know why or how something was happening and the story just kept on continuing. There were also some scenes that were extremely unbelievable, like when the farmer's wife was in a corner and there was a spider on her hand, she then shot her finger off by accident instead of brushing off the spider. Many scenes in this so-called horror story generated widespread laughs by the audience which everybody knows isn't supposed to happen while watching a horror film. The film also moved at a pretty slow pace in the beginning by showing a few spiders and only introducing new characters. The film also had a very open and disappointing ending. Instead of killing the pinned down humans to show their dominance the spiders simply left the whole down spun in a web and completely evacuated from the town. The camera angles used in this movie also showed no creativity, and were not interesting or impressive. Most of the time during this movie they were just level medium shots with the scene, which created an unwanted repetition that viewers don't appreciate. To the credit of this movie, it had a decent message. It was the killing the environment will impact us greatly, they message was shown in an extreme way. At the time people were polluting nature with chemicals and it was killing many of the wild inhabitants. This movie had a good message, but it lacked in every other possible aspect of movie making. I do not recommend this movie to anybody that once to see a decent movie. Although, it sure makes your own videos look better after watching this if you're a filmmaker.
The Analysis
The thing that makes this horror film different than any other is the terrible acting and horrible effects. This doesn?t mean it was a bad film though, the terrible acting made it fun to watch and the special effects made you laugh. This movie starts out with William Shatner staring as an animal doctor that has trouble finding the reason the town animals are dying. The movie is so stupid and cheesy, you almost enjoy watching it. The airplane scene really humored me due to the man doing everything possible NOT to get the spiders off.
I do have to give it to the costume department for the well-designed outfits. This is one of the few good parts of this film. They did a good job keeping the whole ?horror? part of the movie descent by still having a creepy dead person in every other scene.
Coming from a teenager that is use to watching 21st century movies, I do give this movie two thumbs up. Even though this movie was a complete joke, you should take in consideration of the budget the director had to work with.
November 18, 2013
The Kingdom of the Spiders was a movie to see in the 1970's. Comparing it to newer scary movies, you think to yourself, who would find this scary? Even today, this movie made you wonder how they got spiders to act. In this movie I didn't see any real message. I saw more of pioneering monster movies. Alongside Jaws and King Kong, the 1970's brought out some of the most known movies that involve killer animals. Kingdom of the Spiders was not one of them. I felt the storyline was very confusing in the beginning. It started to get better near the beginning of the second half. I don't know what the time period was in the movie, but it didn't seem that much different from the 1970's. The sets and costumes seemed realistic and made sense. One character I could not stand was the girl who was so afraid of spiders. She would cry when one spider got on her. She was one of the reasons why I didn't like the movie as much. I felt the lighting and camera angles stayed the same during the whole movie. Maybe I have too high of standards for a movie from the 1970's, but I feel like these newer movies outshine it. Newer movies don't always beat out classics, but in this case, Horton Hears a Who > The Kingdom of the Spiders. Horton Hears a Who at least makes sense. I'm talking to the people in Kingdom of the Spiders have a breakdown when a spider is on them.
½ November 18, 2013
This director had a creative idea for this movie but his idea didn't come to life very well. The acting and the special effects in this movie were so awful that it made the movie entertaining. The storyline got confusing at points. For example, after the mom got the little girl off the swing she just fell over and the spiders attacked her. The way the actors talked and screamed was so fake and unbelievable. The sets and costumes were pretty good though. They director used a very normal setting which sent a message to the audience that this could happen to anyone. The clothes that they wore were true to the time and didn't make the movie more unrealistic. The lighting throughout the movie was good. I could tell in some parts they tried using different angles but the way they used them didn't sit well in my eye. It seemed awkward because they would throw in a different angle only every once in a while. Overall, this movie was so bad that it was kind of funny. Kids in the 21st century are used to amazing special effects and outstanding editing which brings the movie alive. So seeing this compared to the other movies of our time was disappointing.
November 18, 2013
In Kingdom of Spiders I couldn't help but notice the theme of environmentalism. If we as people don't protect the animals we co-exist with then they will turn on us and wipe out towns of people. In all seriousness, I think this showcases an idea that humanity's enemy isn't any ghouls or ghosts, but actually things that present in nature. While there is a slight meaning to this film, it is easily just an entertainment driven film. I understand that this flick is a 'Cult Classic', but does that mean it's okay to be relatively unrealistic and overdramatic? There were multiple scenes where the actions of the characters were just plain unreasonable. For example when the man is flying in a plane, he's up in the sky flying when he realizes that there's a bunch of spiders relaxing on it. They start crawling on him and he just screams and flicks them back on the FLOOR of the plane. Why on earth wouldn't you try to remove them from the plane? Anyone with common-sense would throw them out of the plane. The storyline for the most part made sense. There wasn't really much of a storyline, just a lot of people dying and even more spiders crawling all over. The dialogue for the most part was believable. Nobody said anything that made me realize I was watching a movie, what really tore this movie apart was the constant corny happenings throughout the film. The setting of the film was perfect, the only thing I need to mention is that one minute there's nothing going on and the next minute there's hundreds of spiders and a person cocooned in some spider webs. The movie's pace was just right, didn't feel dragged out and it didn't feel rushed either. Overall the film wasn't too bad, for the youth it comes off as cheesy but still enjoyable. For the rest of the audience, it's a 'Cult Classic' and a great movie!
November 18, 2013
Well, there are mixed emotions about this one. Claimed to be a "cult classic" this movie, in my opinion, is that you couldn't make me watch it even for a good amount of money. Since we are in the era of technology where the level of technology is growing exponentially, we can't really be fascinated by movies like "Kingdom of the Spiders". This can be a positive and negative thing. People who got to witness cult classics like "Kingdom of the Spiders" during their time were more positively affected, than kids born around the 90's and 2000's. In terms of the plot, I feel like the movie wasn't realistic and it doesn't reflect human actions when an 8-legged crawler is on them. The only way I was affected by this movie was at the actual look of the spiders. I would have to give them a good job for the way the spiders looked. Real or not, they pulled off a great looking spider. The acting in this movie was not the best as it seemed to reflect characters that lacked expression and seemed to be paralyzed once they were encountered with a spider. Souderton Area High School's very own Mr. Curtis claims that "William Shatner is one of my favorites!". His class disagrees, however. A student which the name is disclosed for privacy claims that "Who is William Shatner? Oh... The guy who talked funny?". I personally feel like the movie lacked a certain message and had no theme delivered to the audience. In conclusion, the movie failed to grab the minds of the young adults simply because it is outdated. With the film industry correlating with the technology era, simple cult classics like "Kingdom of the Spiders" cannot be seen as a good movie. However, this doesn't mean there will be an end to cult classics, this could mean that more modern cult classics will rise as the old ones will fall.
½ November 18, 2013
Kingdom of The Spiders was painful to watch; but, not nearly as painful as half the stuff they air on the SyFy network. Taking in consideration that the movie was released in the 70s, this film wasn't all that terrible. The acting wasn't there, nor was any form of common sense, but the storyline somehow was the redeeming factor. There was a story constantly pushing through all the nonsense, despite the storyline being nonsensical in itself. The cinematography wasn't bad, and I was actually quite impressed due to the film's age. Some of the cameras were a bit shaky and some of the panning was wobbly, but the use of the angles was decent. Special effects weren't even existent in the film. The fake black spiders, rocks, they put on the ground to make it appear as if there were more spiders wasn't fooling anyone; I sometimes even looked away from the screen when scenes of large numbers of spiders were going on. I also want to point out how sometimes the characters would run by and waste time squishing the spiders, and how other times, like when there were spiders on them, they'd simply scream, stiffen up, and fall to the ground like they can't control their bodies anymore. Somehow they were able to make the viewer numb to the idiotic reactions and terrible acting by the end of the film and I almost liked it during the last ten minutes; however, I might have only felt satisfied due to my belief that the film was nearly finished. Either way, the director made this film into something that people actually want to watch; and sometimes even more than once. Personally, I would watch the film again; I'm not sure why, but I just would. Maybe that's what makes a cult classic so addictive.
November 18, 2013
Overall I thought that this movie was a little cheesy; there was not a lot of camera movement so it was boring to watch. Also when the mom saw her daughter on the swing set and all the spider's surrounded her, and the mom ran out and saved her and then just fell to the ground and just stayed there so that the spiders could crawl on her. Also the in the beginning it was confusing, with the guy and girl riding horses and then the guy tackles the girl and then they start to talk about the brother, then the guy just likes storms off, it just didn't make sense. Also I didn't really see any special effects in this movie, which also made it boring
November 15, 2013
The Kingdom Of The Spiders is one of the most confusing, pointless movies that anyone who is dumb enough to watch it will see. Made in 1977 by John Cardos, this 1 hour 34 minute film is about some type of venomous spider taking over a small town and killing everyone in it. It was very unrealistic and never really had a point to it, and it was easy to tell that it was just for entertainment because it wasn't meaningful at all. One of the themes I could pull out from it was that you shouldn't mess with the environment, but that theme wasn't well displayed throughout the movie. This movie consisted of very bad and unrealistic special effects, which made it seem very fake and comical. In the very beginning of the movie it was very hard to tell what was going on because it never really explained where all the spiders came from in the first place, and it just left me very confused. One of the main problems with this movie was the terrible acting. This film was so unrealistic that it was almost impossible to take the actors seriously because of their ridiculous reactions to the spiders. The one half decent thing about this movie was the spiders. Most of them looked very real and a lot of them were real, and they had better acting skills then the actual actors. There were many points in the movie where you could tell that the spiders were not real because they just sat on the ground not moving, and that took away from the small bit of realness that this movie had. I should take into consideration that this movie as made in 1977 and they didn't have much advanced technology, but they still could have at least picked a better plot and storyline to make it seem more realistic. It had some good camera angles and camera shots, but none that really stood out. Overall I would say the only reason that you should watch this movie is if you are looking for a good laugh, or if you have absolutely nothing better to do or no better movies to watch.
November 15, 2013
Kingdom of the Spiders was lacking on many important things that a high quality horror movie needs. Although the movie lacked any special effects I feel like that aspect of the movie didn't inhibit it in any way, but rather the plot. After nearly 3 minutes of opening credits the movie starts abruptly with a spider taking down a cow without any back ground information on any of the characters or idea of when or where this film taking place. The events following seem to be random, lack a purpose, and as someone watching we don't know how much time passes in-between these scenes. The movie loses its suspense when a main character handles the spiders like they are harmless. Not only once but if I am correct she handles 4 different spiders and none of which harm her. Not only this but many of the characters are just able to run around or jump over the spiders or just brush them off if a spider got on them. This destroyed any sense of fear in the movie because I knew in the back of my mind the characters could just run away at any time. The directors, knowing this, tried to up the scare factor by making the spiders just appear out of nowhere and multiply more rapid than physically possible. This movie also lacked dialogue and was relatively predictable. I personally do not like spiders at all but I did feel bad for them in this movie. Maybe it was because I knew there were no special effects but when they used over 4,000 spiders and killed most of them. This movie was on the lower end of the horror movies that I've seen.
½ November 15, 2013
King of the spiders is one of the best horrible movies I've ever seen. I would recommend this movie to anyone completely bored with nothing else to do. The story starts out with just an ordinary vet going out to check a cow that was sick. He then gets a scantest to help him figure out what is going on. Then the story stops because they never can stop the spiders once they figure out why they are so vicious. The sets and costumes seemed to be authentic. The theme behind this movie is that pesticides are bad for the environment. At the time of its release the public was outraging agents the use of pesticides because whole rivers were getting poised making everything that was living in it die. So in the movie the pesticides killed all of the spider's food and they needed to prey on humans. This movie had one redeeming quality though, that is some of its camera shots. The camera shots from the point of view of the spider were amazing. The acting was that of a 1970's movie, very, very bad. The best part of the movie was the spiders. The spiders just came out of nowhere when the camera looked away and then when it looked back there were just masses of them. They seemed to have supper speed as well as 5x toxic venom. The special effects were good for a movie back then I guess. To today's standers it was really bad special effects wise. The characters could have been smarter too. When they burned the spider hill toward the beginning they only burned the front half of it. The spiders ran out the back. The ending was one of the best parts of the movie, it just ends without any warning. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants a laugh or is bored.
½ November 15, 2013
The Kingdom Of The Spiders traps you in a thick web of sadness and depression throughout the entire movie. The venomous blandness will slowly cause you to die of boredom as its poor dialogue and bad acting sucks out everything that that is good in your life for 97 long agenizing minuets. William Shatner was once one of my favorite actors staring in things like Star Trek, Price line commercials, and some guest appearances on TV shows. After seeing this though I began to wonder what his career was like in the 70s that he chose such a role in a very pathetic movie. Don't get me wrong the role of the smooth talking ladies man Robert "Rack" Hanson was perfect for Shatner seeing his other roles but the movie was just so terrible to watch. And don't ask me why his nick name was Rack because I was too busy dying of boredom to remember. The camera angles and shots were all good but other than that it was poorly executed. Honestly the spiders had to be the best actors in the film. How they trained them to do some of those parts is beyond my understanding. Solute to the spiders.
½ November 15, 2013
Kingdom of the Spiders was almost as horrible and drawn out as its intro. The film is so confusingly stupid that I felt like my brain cells were dying just from watching it. Majority of the scenes should have been cut out they were so pointless. None of the scenes lined up and before the spiders were even introduced the scenes were painfully long. The film had no plot or relevance. If you don't think spiders' taking over a town is the most irrelevant thing ever, then you need some serious help. I feel like the writer asked a child what the worst thing that could happen in the world could be and it answered with "spiders attacking" or something extremely stupid along the lines of that. The film didn't even have a story line, but if it did it would've been horrendous also. The dialogue was awful too; why the characters talked about half of the stuff they did is beyond me. Half of the time the audio was fighting with the music and I didn't even care to try and listen. I couldn't even pick out the worst part of the film. I don't know where the actors came from but they were absolutely awful. The settings were terrible; their outfits were god awful, everything about the film was horrendous. Somebody should've hit the screen writer over the head and asked what they were thinking or who in the world would produce such a god awful film, instead of actually producing it. The film went on forever and then ended with a web covering the town. Some people get really attached to main characters, but I would've much rather seen all of them die than see the actual horrendous ending. The only good part of the film was the ending; but then again that was awful too because the music was painfully bad. I don't even know what to say other than it was the most pointless 96 minutes of my life watching that film and if I didn't have to review it for a class, I would have fallen asleep in the first two minutes.
½ November 15, 2013
The movie Kingdom of the Spiders was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It had no real story to it.
I understand the fact that the reason they may have made the movie was to scare people and get the point across that we need to stop putting chemicals everywhere in that time period. I think that's a great point to a movie, but they never emphasized the point enough. The female doctor said only one line about it and at that time period, people may not be inclined to listen to a female.
There were thousands of spiders all throughout the movie and it was a very exaggerated, to the point of being unrealistic and comical. It became very pathetic very quickly.
The dialogue of the movie was ridiculous as well. It wasn't very interesting which made the movie boring in a short amount of time.
I did like the costumes and sets. It's always interesting to me to look at what stores and houses looked like in the late 70s and what people wore then too.
The cinematography of the movie was not great either. I know it's made in the late 70s, but I think some of the camera shots and angles could have been better. For the 70s, the special effects with the spiders and the webs were not bad! However, the last scene was poor. It looked more like a drawing than anything else.
The pace of the movie was very conflicting. The plot moved very fast from the beginning of the movie from the spiders killing animals to all of a sudden killing people. However, the entire movie moved very slow because of how uninteresting the movie was.
Scott Coppens
This movie was definitely cheesy and I found that most of the time it was hard to follow the story, mainly because there was very little explanation of why certain things happened. The movie did give a creepy feeling because there is spider's that are taking over the world and are killing people. There was little to none character build up.
It did have an environmental/political message about insecticides, which I guess is a good thing, although I doubt that anybody was impacted by the message though, since the movie is highly fictional.
Overall it wasn't that bad, I've seen worse, but I recommend you give it a try, but don't expect much from it, unless you're a wimp and get scared by spiders...
½ November 15, 2013
The Kingdoms of the Spiders is a movie that should only be watched once and never again, it's a good bad movie. It's the kind of movie to watch with a group of close friends and laugh at the lack of story line and the thought of tarantulas taking over the world. It's understandable that the special effects aren't up to the standards that we look for in movies today, but that doesn't mean that that there couldn't have been a better story line. The dialogue of the movie felt forced and unnatural. The only well done character development of the movie was the connections between Rack, Diane and Terry. The love triangle was a good idea, but was ruined when Terry died. Although her death was tragic it allowed Rack and Diane to survive the rest of the movie together, while taking care of Terry's daughter Linda.
I also did like the ending of the movie, yes cliffhangers can be fun; but in this situation I would have liked to seen some kind of resolution of the movie. Whether that be everyone dying, or more excitingly there being some kind of cure or extermination to solve the spider problem. The movie took too long to get into action and I wish I would have been drawn into the movie sooner. Also the very last scene of the movie when the camera was zooming out of the house and showing the big picture of the town was awful. I would have liked to have seen something I don't want to say realistic but something that wasn't so obviously a drawing.
The spiders however did a fantastic job and were creepy and mysterious as all spiders should be. Being one of my favorite animals I was glad to see them be recognized to their full potential of horrific creatures that should leave you feeling itchy and jumpy.
November 15, 2013
This was, well you could say, a movie I was not expecting. The Kingdom of the Spiders was an illegitimate and scientifically incorrect movie from the 1970's. The characters were all stupid including the SCIENTISTS, their moods changed towards the spiders or should I say tarantulas. There were no other kinds of spiders in the movie just your generic tarantula from the pet store. I also found it quite idiotic that the two scientists didn't know how to kill tarantulas and resorted to fire extinguishers which seemed ineffective (Duh?). Anybody who has played Pokémon would realize that bug type is the worst type amongst the 17 types of Pokémon available today! Bugs are all weak against fire, rock, flying, and poison type moves. In my eyes there were only two points in this movie that were actually executed well the first being how the music was in rhythm with the shots of the cow and how they introduced the movie with multiracial actors besides these two parts of the movie the rest was complete... well I can't say. However the main underlying story from my perspective was a cheesy love story about two stupid scientists where they never actually confess that they love each other. Moving on to the spiders, tarantulas are carnivorous beings and rarely ever colonize let alone colonizing in the thousands. The movie doesn't even stop there, oh no, tarantulas prey at night however in this movie not only do they colonize by the thousands they attack during the day. The stupid scientists obviously don't know anything about spiders and the stupid girl sent from the university was supposed to be the best in her field, how about uhhm no... Being that spider's prey during the night why would they go to burn the hill of dirt first of all, at night? Lastly on my rant of this horrid movie TARANTULAS DO NOT SPIN WEBS! Although they have the ability to produce silk why they would all of a sudden use it to spin webs around the entire town and its people? The ending of this movie was so bad it barely deserves to be called an ending, it seemed as though they just forgot to put on in and just decided that the spiders will just take over the town in the end and everyone dies. Never watch this movie, it's for your own well-being.
½ November 15, 2013
The movie Kingdom of the Spiders is one of the movies I call a "good-bad" movie. There were a lot of good camera composition and video techniques used for their time period. I'm sure back then, people thought this was an amazing movie that gave them nightmares for days but today, this is one of those kinds of movies you watch with your friends to make fun of. Two important things that go into making a good movie are having a good plot and good dialogue. The plot was alright but the dialogue was just goofy. Usually the dialogue is the one thing that reels a viewer but it didn't really happen for me in this movie. I feel as if I was laughing more than actually being scared and I'm sure that is not what the director wanted from the audience. It also could be because our generation is so used to high tech movies and better looking special effects, that when we see a movie like Kingdom of the Spiders we end up making fun of it because were not use to this kind of cinematography. Over all I think what the theme and idea the director wanted to leave the audience was what would happen if something like this happened to your town. It doesn't have to be an invasion by spiders, but what is something happened in your town that led to a chain reaction. How would the people react? How would you react? For me the end was not the best (spoiler alert). As a viewer I thought or at least hoped someone would live or escape. Or the opposite would happen and everyone would die but nothing like this happened. They just ended it without even giving us a hint about what happened to the people and or the town. In my general opinion I hate it when movies end as a cliff hanger (unless there is a sequel to it). In the end I'll give this movie a 2.5 because the movie was not the best movie I've ever seen but it defiantly is not the worst movie I've ever seen.