Kings of Pastry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kings of Pastry Reviews

September 30, 2014
Finger licking and nail biting!
July 29, 2014
It isn't about pastry
January 19, 2014
Pardon my cliches, but this documentary was a feast for the eyes. I really liked how the filmmakers conveyed the personalities of the MOF candidates. That said, I thought the documentary-makers could have made sure that the presentation of the documentary was more organized. I had a hard time following the location of where some events took place.
½ August 17, 2013
I'm a sucker for documentaries about excelling in one's craft, and this film about the Olympics of pastries is a tearjerker.
June 25, 2013
Exciting, touching, and it definitely makes you hungry. You HAVE TO watch it.
½ March 2, 2013
Don't even consider this as a Reality Cooking Contest, this is a true title is at stake. After watching this documentary you'll never see your pastry the same way ever again.
Another production where D.A. Pennebaker comes through
January 29, 2013
This documentary was interesting. A cool look at what it takes to get one of the highest awards in French cuisine. The creations of these chefs are amazing and it's unbelievable that these are edible creations. I highly recommend this for foodies, but if you're not one, this is a great look into the stories behind those morning pastries.
½ November 10, 2012
Not just about created beautiful desserts but an insight into every chef's endeavor to craft his masterpiece at Meilleur Ouvrier de France, the highest level competition that takes places once every 4 years.for individuals who have mastered their trade.
½ October 19, 2012
If you are interested in the culinary arts, you will probably like this documentary about three of the 16 chefs seeking the Maitre Ouvrier de France designation; if you're looking for an uplifting tale of overcoming adversity, you'll be mostly satisfied, though the director's angle leaves a little to be desired - it kind of felt like he just turned the camera on. The low budget filming bothered me, too. Interesting enough, and not much "wrong with it," but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
February 6, 2012
Makes you want to eat as much as bite your nails!
½ September 8, 2011
Brutal. Just brutal.
August 24, 2011
Wonderful film about the process of becoming a MOF (a best of France chef) in pastry. Fascinating, emotional, and exciting.
½ July 20, 2011
Needs more pastries.
June 21, 2011
The rare movie that I think could have been longer. I would have liked about 15 minutes more, with a bit more focus on the other two chefs (besides the main guy).
June 1, 2011
This is a documentary-style film that follows a few contestants on their journey of competing in the 'Meilleur Ouvrier de France' pastry competition. It sounds like a dull concept, but it really sends you on an emotional roller coaster and you really feel for the contestants and all that they go through in this boot-camp-for-chefs competition. If you are any sort of a 'foodie' you will likely enjoy it.
May 6, 2011
I wanted to like this more than I did, but the truth is I have seen more exciting culinary stories on the Food Network.
April 22, 2011
Aos amantes da culinĂ¡ria!
April 17, 2011
This film is a nod to excellence in any field of endeavor. The nuance and sophistication that goes into any skill at the highest levels really exists. And it's a great pleasure to get a sneak peak at those seeking the ultimate patisserie certification, Meilleurs Ouvriers de France. If you are a foodie, you will enjoy this. There's little new ground in terms of format if you watch The Food Network, but the skills displayed by the best pastry people in the world is a pleasure to witness.
½ April 11, 2011
The Olympics of pastry! The sculptures that these guys can create with sugar, chocolate, and batter are AMAZING! Wait until the sculptures break and fall apart. Your eyes will fall out of their sockets.
April 1, 2011
Loved it. If you love food. Love cooking. Love love, you will love love it. Seriously, it's good and a nail biter. Top Chef has nothing on what these pastry chefs go through. Also, is not so very far off from the writing life (at least my experience of it)--some joy and a lot of heartache but you will not dare ever give up.