Kinky Boots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinky Boots Reviews

½ August 12, 2014
Despite having the word "kinky" in its title, "Kinky Boots" is surprisingly without much edge - after all, it's PG-13, and desperate not to offend anyone. While I wish the film would have been a little more Baz Luhrmann and a little less Garry Marshall, nevertheless it's a joyous romp that features a fearless performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor. The stage play that stole Broadway last year might already be more famous than the movie it was based upon, but comedy movies from across the pond are never uninteresting.
All his life, Charlie Price (Joel Edgerton) has been surrounded by shoes: his father owns a Northampton shoe company whose speciality is to make old-fashioned but well-made shoes for men. But when he dies, the business noticeably isn't doing very well.
Charlie is then forced to sack loads of workers, until one of his employees, Lauren (Sarah-Jane Potts), suggests that Charlie change the ways of the company he has grown up with. Instead of staying with a formula that has gone out of style, why not do something radical and exciting?
Through a chance encounter, Charlie meets Lola (Ejiofor), a supremely confident drag queen cabaret star who has noticeably stylish shoes - and in response, both people hatch an idea. Lola wants a pair of high heels that can carry the weight of her muscular stature; Charlie sees her perform and witnesses an entire demographic of possible customers.
A partnership blossoms between the two, and in return, the shoe company goes from straight-laced to radical, as Oxfords turn into two-feet high red boots. But can Charlie's low self-esteem handle always been stared at whenever he's with his new business partner?
The plot somehow feels formulaic, nearly sitcom ready. But it isn't the plot that makes the film what it is: it's 100% Ejiofor, whose performance holds no stereotypes. Throughout every wig transformation and sassy comeback, he is thoroughly Lola, and when he takes off his costume for the sake of Charlie, there is a vulnerable there that we didn't even know existed. Ejiofor can be comical, but he is also devastatingly committed to a role most actors would butcher.
As for the rest of "Kinky Boots", there is a bit too much seriousness on display, and it's obvious that the attitude of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" might have helped it be the insane film it could have been. Yet, there are enough memorable moments and bits of feel-good cinema to give it substance.
½ August 10, 2014
A feel-good true story with laughs and tears that largely succeeds thanks to Chiwetel Ejiofor's performance as Lola. I'm sure that the Broadway musical has everything the film had offered.
August 6, 2014
It may not be altogether 'kinky' but Chiwetel Ejiofor's sassy performance certainly makes it all worth it.
½ June 7, 2014
although i found the beginning a bit slow and boring, the movie got more funny, amusing, inspiring, and very well acted as the movie went on until the end of the movie
May 31, 2014
finally got to see this Billy Elliot come Priscilla and it's a great feel good movie full of cheek with a fantastic story. can't wait for the musical to hit the west end next year :-)
April 12, 2014
Looks like this movie was based on a real shoe factory. It was a very good movie.
March 24, 2014
It has 3 songs and is called a musical on Songpop and is played on the musical channel on XM. Umm, no.
Bathsheba Monk
February 17, 2014
The ecstatic dance Lola does in the beginning of this movie is so uplifting the movie could've ended there as far I'm concerned. But the rest of the story is worth sticking around for too.
January 21, 2014
in general i don't like gay movies. but i was able to see the new world of gay in a positive way through this movie.
January 16, 2014
Funny and sweet. I liked it a lot.
December 17, 2013
Cute, heartwarming movie more being accepted for whom you are, both in society and shoes.
December 16, 2013
I'm dying to see this on Broadway, but I figured this would be the next best thing. There are definitely some great performances, but I feel like I can't give it a totally fair review until I've seen it onstage. I will definitely be buying this, though.
½ December 10, 2013
A fun and fabulous frenzy of a film. Can't wait to see Chiwetel in 12 years a slave.
½ October 8, 2013
"Burgundy is the color of hot water bottles! Red is the color of sex and fear and danger and signs that say, Do. Not. Enter. All my favorite things in life."
August 28, 2013
A film about shoes (which are dull) set in Northampton (which is dull) that somehow comes alive. I really liked it...
August 17, 2013
Hilarious!!! A must see
August 17, 2013
Excellent movie, great music and story line.
August 15, 2013
What a Fun, Fun show!
July 24, 2013
good movie - i really enjoyed it. okay, fine, the storyline is predictable but what isn't these days? it's like a glass of coke - i know what coke tastes like but i still open a can with anticipation and i still enjoy it. nobody says "oh... no... not coca-cola, i already drank that". any movie that leaves me smiling at the end is a winner.
½ June 26, 2013
"Kinky Boots" es otra de esas delicadas y sensibles comedias inglesas tipo "Full Monty", "Calendar Girls" o "Waking Ned Devine" acerca de un hombre que al heredar una empresa de zapatos de su padre decide, crear un nicho especifico creando botas de mujer para drag queens. Joel Edgerton hace un excelente papel como el joven inexperto y Chiwetel Ejiofor es perfecto interpretando a Lola, una "Drag Queen" sin pelos en la lengua que sirve de disenadora para la empresa. Muchas risas y sentimiento hacen de "Kinky Boots" una delicosa pelicula, perdonando lo predecible de la historia basada, supuestamente, en hechos reales.