Kirikou et les bÍtes sauvages (Kirikou and the Wild Beasts) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kirikou et les bÍtes sauvages (Kirikou and the Wild Beasts) Reviews

½ August 13, 2013
"Kirikou and the Wild Beasts" is a sub-story of the outstanding "Kirikou and the Sorceress." It is a collection of anecdotes told by Kirikou's grandfather where Kirikou interacts with animals. The animation is good, but it feels very bland since there is nothing really interesting or different to animate. The story also feels short since its not a story, but a collection of anecdotes which plays more like a TV show for 5 year-olds than a tour-de-force film for all ages like its predecessor. To sum up this film, I could say that this film keeps most of the technical achievements that the previous boasted, but has lazier writing and direction. Kids will love it since it has so many positive messages, relatable characters, unique style, and an entertaining story line. However, I was expecting a richer story from Ocelot. Yet Kirikou is such a wonderful character and the greatest role model for any kid. I also love that the Kirikou films show that nude bodies should not be exploited nor shameful. There are plenty of fully or semi-nude characters since it is how people in Africa live. Karaba is not as scary as she used to be now that we understand her better, but she is well-rounded. There is a lot of dry humor and intelligent humor in the writing that kids and parents will enjoy likewise. "Kirikou and the WIld Beasts" is an ideal film for all children aged 8 and under, but parents or film lovers may find it entertaining but weak in quality and tiring.
½ April 12, 2013
Same as 'Kirikou and The Sorceress'.
February 21, 2012
Poor writing and a lame voice off make for an awful sequel.
July 29, 2011
A beautiful and well-made french animated movie, is so cute and has a good plot and the charism of Kiriku is what makes the plot continuing.
July 2, 2011
I liked it very much
In this film we learn that the fammilly is very important
particulary the mothers because in the last part kirikou and his friends do everything they can to go to kaaba's house to steel the yellow flower to save their mother, and for doing that they use their mothers things
½ February 28, 2011
Lovely animated movie; without high pretensions, Michael Ocelot gets a memorable story.
October 7, 2010
Kirikou protects his village from a wolf, sells ceramics, escapes fetishes on the head of a giraffe, and cures a sickness.
December 17, 2009
Yet another simple, direct but engaging Kirikou: the message is to be generous to one's fellow and to always endeavor to think things through.
October 10, 2009
Four short stories about Kirikou the pint sized hero, his african village and the wicked sorceress who's out to get them. Enjoyable enough but not a patch on the original Kirikou and The Sorceress, which was fantaistic. Watch that instead.
May 7, 2009
Nice colors and a great story with an etrepreneaurial twist :)
½ February 21, 2009
A strange story with beautiful animation. Unfortunately our library does not have the first one.
February 3, 2009
Beautiful animation. Loved the colors. Kirikou is so sweet :)
December 27, 2008
Wonderful art and animation! The music is superb!
August 18, 2008
bloody magical. (and who would have expected a kid's movie to have more nudity than poultrygeist -- egads!!!) I had a goofy smile on my face for the whole darn 75 minutes. *loved* it.
August 17, 2008
Ay que lindo. I loved it to bits. My daughter would get up and dance to the beat. I watch even when she is a sleep.
August 12, 2008
There's not much too it, but I wasn't expecting much. The first three stories are very predicable and repetitive of those in Kirikou and the Sorceress, but the fourth and last is quite enjoyable. It was fun to see the children working together - a bit like Cardcaptor Sakura or Zhang Yimou's Not One Less - and it makes for a pretty significant ending, but still one absent of the complete surprises which I consider a trademark of Ocelot.

So, it's worthwhile if your children are addicted to Kirikou and the Sorceress, as it you gives you something which is still Kirikou but a bit of a change from that, but maybe not for any other reason.
April 15, 2008
Kirikou on pieni, mutta meidät pelasti (ja tähän tanssia perään:)
March 8, 2008
sweet stories before going to your bed, beautiful Africa for your dreams and Kirikou's wisdom.