Kirikou and the Sorceress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kirikou and the Sorceress Reviews

December 5, 2016
An enjoyable and simple animation with an honest moral lesson, though clearly made for very small children. It makes for a good time, especially in its second act, but the ending could have been better.
December 4, 2015
Really great Kids movie! finally a movie that doesn't dumb kids down but empowers them.
June 26, 2015
Saw it so long ago when I was so young, and re-watching it made it even better as I understood more and being African I can say this is quite a work of art, even in general. One of the animated films I will remember with such fondness.
January 16, 2015
The dubbing was serviceable at best, but otherwise it was great. The art: gorgeous. The story: very interesting. While I've seen stories where a child wiser than the adults goes to solve all the problems, I did not anticipate all the beats. Especially towards the end. Wish I had seen a higher quality video.
January 2, 2015
re-watchable anytime.
November 7, 2014
Lovely movie, super sweet and amusing
½ September 11, 2014
Interesting and imaginative.
May 12, 2014
The animation is wonderful in its simplicity and the story is also brilliant. One of the greatest animated films of all times.
February 1, 2014
Enchanting story with a beautiful production.
November 1, 2013
I was fortunate to stumble upon this gem. I saw it on television actually. I was mesmerized by the animation, the characters and the story.
September 13, 2013
Made it to my new favorite list! A cute film filled with good messages!! A classic and must-see for sure!
August 20, 2013
I was expecting better animation from a winner of a dozen awards made in 1998. The stuttering frame rate reminds me of old TV cartoons. However, the story is exceptional, as is the painting. Fans of Henri Rousseau will be pleased. The audio is the strongest aspect of the film, "the soundtrack, by well-known African composer Youssou N'Dour, using only traditional instruments, lends to the film's timeless feel, like an age-old fable come to life."
July 25, 2013
The film was a very well-done cartoon. I thought that it was a good movie and it kept my attention throughout. It made sense and would have been easy to watch outside of class. This movie is would be good for most audiences. I would not recommend that young children watch this cartoon since there is cartoon nudity. It would be acceptable for viewers age thirteen and older. The film is educational and would be a good addition to an English curriculum for high school.
June 30, 2013
I liked it a lot, but never saw the ending coming...
April 13, 2013
I hate myself for loving this.
April 12, 2013
Americans are scared of this movie, hahahahah! Naked people makes them frightened....

To the point,
Even though I ain't nudist, I don't see anything wrong about it as many Finnish would think. One of a kind animation, french-African animation (correct me if I'm wrong). Only annoying thing was that no one believed Kirikou and when problem was solved, everyone danced and praised Kirikou. Otherwise magnifique cinéma.
½ December 4, 2012
The animation and story are simple, but this is a real treat to watch.
December 3, 2012
With expertly crafted plot and music, stylish, riveting and unabashedly old-fashioned and childish, Kirikou and the Sorceress is an impeccable and enchanting delight. You can try to find it a flaw as you might, but you won't succeed in it, at least not when big flaws are concerned. It is one of the best children's animated films of all time. Period.
August 17, 2012
Una de las historias animada más encantadora que he visto.
½ August 11, 2012
What a remarkable film, visually stunning, and palpitating, ravishing to cool your eyes, and soothing your ears with lovely music. Kirikou & the Sorceress directed by Michel Ocelot is an animation movie about West-African folktale about fearless tiny inquisitive boy 'Kirikou' who takes up mission to liberate his village from the spell of Sorceress named 'Karaba'. It's co-production of France-Belgium-Luxembourg, and animated at the studios in Latvia and Hungary. Film spawned a sequel in 2005, and third set for late 2012. Splendid look of film was inspired from the work of French-painter Henri Rousseau. Ocelot work has dignified and explored art, architecture of Northern Africa, and Islamic folklore, calligraphy.

The daring themes in 'Kirkou & the Sorceress' include determination, independent thinking, and message of universal-approach. This film offers flamboyant, vivid colorful influence of culture such as that of Ancient Egyptian Art and African Sculpture.

NOTE: There's lesser nudity of both female and male; as it could be in norm in pre-colonel Africa.