Kiss and Make-Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiss and Make-Up Reviews

½ March 20, 2016
Saw the redigitised version of this film, which made it look later than 1934. The acting reveals its age though, it's somewhat wooden and still very much 'stage' rather than 'film' in its delivery. What is most notable is the storyline about plastic surgery, and clearly how established it was in the early part of the 20th Century, which surprised me.
March 30, 2015
good com-dram and the least known cary grant pic, for me anyways
June 25, 2011
Rather ridiculous early Cary movie. He's slick, maybe a little too slick but still charismatic even if he hadn't fully settled into his persona yet.
September 12, 2010
A hilarious and fun movie with Cary Grant and Edward Everett Horton, who are really funny and give great performances. It's essentially a story of being careful of what you wish for.
May 16, 2010
3: Hmm. Not exactly a feminist film. It includes a few rather interesting views on the nature of love, marriage, beauty, etc. All the women are either chasing after men or silently pining after them. They all seem to want surgery or beauty products and be happy to tease once they are assured they are desired by the opposite sex. The men seem to want their women beautiful, but not too beautiful, because then the husband would be afraid of losing their wife when they realize they can do better. As I write this, I'm not sure how different these aspects are from most films. It's all in the tone I guess. You'd have to see it. It does seem to be a bit ahead of its time in some ways. The story is bit ridiculous, as screwball comedy types are from this era, but it's carefree and lighthearted enough to be quite entertaining. The story drew me in just about from the start. It's essentially impossible not to root for the secretary. Comedies like this were simply churned out in their heyday, but most didn't have a star like Grant. It's always interesting to see where stars started. It'd obviously Grant, even if he is a little less polished and confident. The chase sequence at the end is great, ether, multiplying rabbits, toupee and all.
½ April 6, 2009
Considering its a morality tale about how beauty isn't everything, the girl's decision not to marry Lamar's opponent because of his fake hair (her reasoning was probably - oh, but he lied!) is strange. And, yes, one of the more wooden Cary Grant performances...
½ March 7, 2009
Interesting train-wreck. Many odd moments, elaborate set designs, corny slapstick, and a song about corned beef and cabbage. One of those movies where you really can't root for the characters to get together. So wrong in many ways that its just about watchable if you like the period. Overall this Screen Legends - Cary Grant set is fulfilling my expectations...really for diehard fans of lesser known 30s movies, than even Cary Grant fans.
½ December 31, 2008
Very pre-code, and clever too. Horton steals every scene he's in.
June 5, 2008
Corn beef and cabbage I love you!

Cary is delightful and he sings. What could be better?
½ April 29, 2008
One of my favourite Cary Grant movies. It is a little on the odd side, though, and very risque for its time period. Definately a good watch for an account of the time period.
½ January 30, 2008
A movie about lust for beauty, and Cary makes it happen. The only redeeming thing about the film was the last 20 minutes or so when Cary realizes what damage and ugliness he is really creating, and decides to go into science research instead.
January 10, 2008
I love this movie. It's a great screwball comedy and it's making me smile just thinking about it.
½ January 1, 2008
I thought the corned beef and cabbage love song was the high point of this film (and if it had been, I still would have walked away happy). But it wasn't until the car chase scene that I knew this movie was a real gem. Cary Grant was good in one of his earlier roles (clearly having fun and almost parodying himself at times), and Helen Mack also carried her role with surprising good humor. There's really not much plot, and what there is doesn't matter -- this movie is totally for the lulz. An overlooked screwball comedy from right before screwball comedies become very popular.
December 30, 2007
I love this movie because of the singing. You should see it just for the corned beef and cabbage song.
August 24, 2007
This movie is one of the worst films ever made. Cary Grant gives a disapointingly schtick performance with no real motivation, and as for the story, it was probably written by a guy in one night, with very little thought preceding the creation. One bonus is you get to see Cary Grant sing, but the jury is still out on whether or not that really is a bonus.
½ July 10, 2007
Enjoy the Classic movies
Good one
½ May 26, 2007
"Kiss and Make-Up" is the oldest Cary Grant movie I've seen, made within the first few years of his career. It's clear that Grant was still adjusting to being onscreen-a few awkwardish moments show it-but he was also giving a glimpse at the acting genius that was within him.

It's the story of a famed beautician who marries one of his customers despite his darling secretary's interest in him. The movie is really silly in quite a few ways. In one scene, the secretary and the customer's ex-husband sing a love song to corned beef and cabbage. I'm not making this up.

I loved the scene where Cary Grant sings "Love Divided by Two." This adds further evidence that Grant had a really nice voice (also displayed in "Wedding Present").

Silly, short, and lots of fun.