Kissing a Fool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kissing a Fool Reviews

½ May 31, 2015
5/31/2015: Not great by any means, but a nice little movie.
½ September 11, 2014
"Kissing a Fool" isn't so much a bad movie as it is a plain and ordinary one that never really aspires to be anything special. The three leads are all pretty enough, but the love story is lazy and the film isn't really about what it's supposed to be about.

David Schwimmer is playing unconvincingly against type, and you never really buy him as the boorish womanizer. It's an obnoxious performance apparently designed to put his TV past behind him, but all it's destined to do is completely alienate his fan base. I've always liked Jason Lee, on the other hand, and he fares a little better here simply because you like his character so much more.

As the film heads down its predictable path to the ending everyone knows is coming, there are no surprises along the way. It sets up a premise, eventually involving the insecure and immensely unlikable Schwimmer asking his pal to seduce his fiance to see if she'll remain faithful, but that is never followed up on. There's really no reason to delve into that story since we all know how that will play out from the start.

There's some good music sprinkled throughout, but the needless and distracting profanity is really unnecessary for a film of this nature. The screenwriter is novelist James Frey, who would later be exposed as a fraud for making up a lot of the details of his memoir. Based on the banal and forgettable "KIssing a Fool", he could be called a hack as well. This insipid wannabe romance is little more than a poor excuse for a date movie.
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/5/2008)
May 25, 2014
I love this movie!!!
April 18, 2014
A predictable, boring romantic comedy with Schwimmer as sportscaster who sleeps around, finds the "woman of his dreams" and promptly asks his best friend to see if she'll sleep with him to ascertain whether she really loves Schwimmer. And it just goes downhill from there. No laughs, no cuteness, no feelings of romance, and a Bonnie Hunt wasted in a narrator's role.
March 20, 2013
A predictable plot line with too much cursing for no apparent reason.
½ February 6, 2013
Not very funny rom-com. Very predictable and formulaic.
January 22, 2013
The TV PG version is better than the R version, but a really good film nonetheless.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
April 2, 2012
want to find it to purchase it holds a memory of someone.
½ January 12, 2012
I was indifferent through most of this movie. Annoyed by the cliche of the romance, but the speech given by Schwimmer's character at the end is just sweet. Not enough to save the movie, but sweet nonetheless.
December 4, 2011
I enjoyed this movie and I don't see why others didn't. I mean in the beginning David Schwimmer's character was a jerk but by the end his character had gone through a total transformation, Jason Lee had a good performance, too as did Mili Avital.
October 16, 2011
Total 1998 time capsule marred by bad casting -- although the characters would probably be unlikable no matter who played them (other than the very charming Avital).
August 14, 2011
I've always enjoyed this flick, even if it is pretty predictable. It was nice to see David Schwimmer play against type - he's quite good at being the douche. I found Mili Avital to be a little week and her accent was strange. Jason Lee's horrible hair do was distracting, too. I'm quibbling because I really have enjoyed this movie every time I've seen it.
August 5, 2011
I just saw this for the first time, I thought it was very good
July 3, 2011
This is one of my all time favorite movies! I had to rate it just because it's not doing well on this site and needs some love.
½ April 15, 2011
It's fun to watch these character interact with each other, but it's mostly pretty dry stuff here and not too memorable. If you're a fan of these actors though, it's hard not to love it.
April 10, 2011
David Schwimmer plays Max, a womanizing Chicago TV sportscaster who falls for Sam played by Israel native Mili Avital, his attractive young publisher but who he feels is too good to be true. Max and Sam seem perfect for each other but Max wonders if he can really keep Sam "satisfied" long-term and tries to get his best friend Jay (Jason Lee) to see if she can become unfaithful.

Jay is hesitant to do this being the sensitive soul that he is plus he is still grieving over the breakup of his slutty model girlfriend but things become complicated when Jay also succumbs to Sam's charms and begins to fall in love with her.
February 20, 2011
A typical representative of this genre...