Kitty Foyle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kitty Foyle Reviews

February 7, 2015
A wonderful story of a young woman caught between two worlds, what she wants and what she needs. Ginger Rogers gives an outstanding performance of a young woman from the wrong side of the tracks that stands up to society and makes her way on her own. It is incredibly forward thinking for the time period and yet it deals with struggles that seem to be timeless... Kitty's Toil--Ginger Rogers won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 'KITTY FOYLE' as the hard-working, stubborn Irish lass who learns more than a few lessons about life, love and the social strata in this affecting melodrama... 'Kitty Foyle': THE NATURAL HISTORY OF A WOMAN!!
September 19, 2014
For a romance, this film is not nearly as predictable; it also has an even blend of comedy and drama. Ginger Rogers shines and the musical selections fit perfectly.
However, the film does have its faults. The acting is "below-par", with Kitty's Irish-stereotype father, Tom, and Wyn, the Philadelphia magazine owner with a Midwestern accent. What the film preaches is that the women should know their place, even if they are "free, white and 21," as the film puts it. They cannot know true love (women's idiocy) and they NEED a man to lead them.
Classist, sexist, and bigoted. Sure it is a product of its time, but Judas Priest, how outdated!
February 10, 2014
Kitty Foyle reminds me of Julie Christie's role in "Darling" in a distinctively comparable way: Kitty Foyle is symbolizing feminism and independence; Julie's role is entirely in reverse and snobbish. Ginger Rogers's performance is pretty charming.
November 15, 2013
GInger Rogers is okay here on her own and away from Fred Astaire. I can't say it is particularly memorable however. Call it an early version of the chick flick.
June 6, 2013
A sort of feminist chick-flick for the 40's. Released nearly a year before the Pearl Harbor attack, this is meant to be a summary of experiences had by many of the young women working in the "big city". Though the film raised a few eyebrows with it's frankness (and won Rogers an Oscar), the book its based on was quite scandalous in its frankness.
April 26, 2013
ginger brings home the oscar 4 her performance in this weepie
½ April 11, 2013
Kitty Foyle is a decent film. It about Kitty Foyle, a hard-working white-collar girl from a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania low, middle-class family, who meets and falls in love with young socialite Wyn Strafford. Ginger Rogers and Dennis Morgan give good performances. The script is okay but seems a little slow in some places. Sam Wood did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture.
March 28, 2013
Definitely a chick flick from 1940, and a really good one too. Ginger Rodgers was excellent as Kitty. Loved seeing her in a more serious role.
March 20, 2013
Strictly by the numbers love story.
½ February 17, 2013
Kitty Foyle (Ginger Rogers) is being courted by a handsome gentleman (Dennis Morgan) to whom she's known for long time. He asks for her hand in marriage but her answer is ambiguous. She then recollects the events leading up to her meeting, befriending, and the dumping the love of her life for a wealthy suitor (James Craig). The movie tries, admittedly very hard to be good, but just does not work today. It is okay at best. Ginger Rogers Oscar winning performance is not bad, but the film is barely special to recommend. Another generally disappointing movie that was acknowledged in a variety of ways by the 1940 Academy Awards.
½ February 6, 2013
This movie is any romance movie lover's dream. Ginger Rogers is charming, elegant and tragic. The two men in her life you equally adore and empathize with, so it makes the journey with her that more heart wrenching as she decides who to make a life with. We are taken back in time to see the history behind each relationship, so it is with her final decision as she leaves the hotel in a cab that I was relieved (and still slightly disappointed) at her choice. The wider look at the history of a woman was also entertaining though definitely outdated and politically incorrect at some points, but that just adds to the fun of this film. Another example of how they just don't make them like they used to.
½ November 15, 2012
Ginger Rogers proves that she can do more then just dancing. She can fill us with emotions. She can say everything she wants just with her eyes.
½ July 8, 2012
Kitty Foyle is basically famous for being the film where the famous screen dancer Ginger Rogers won her Academy Award, and that's the reason why I watched this movie, because otherwise it doesn't stand out as a classic not at all, but rather just another movie from the year of 1940. Kitty Foyle is as the title suggest about a woman named Kitty Foyle a lover class saleswoman who falls for the hansom and rich Wyn Strafford (Dennis Morgan) who will not take as her wife because his family require Kitty to be educated. She then marries a doctor Mark Eisen (James Craig). But Wyn shows up years later to ask her if she wants to be his lover. Some who will she chose? It is kind of boring with all the romantic chit chat of how much she loves Wyn and she talking to herself, and the characters are way over done. So I'm afraid I have to give this movie a thumbs down.
½ September 3, 2011
And She Doesn't Even Dance in It

Ginger Rogers was actually a relatively talented actress. Don't get me wrong. It's true that most of what we know her from is light comedies, mostly ones where she's dancing with Fred Astaire. But the point is, she's good in those light comedies, and she danced very well with Fred Astaire. And when her character is called upon to do a little emoting, well, she's not bad at that, either. The problem, though, is that the role here is so ludicrous that it would take a much better actress than she was in order to make the character a living, breathing one instead of a paper doll. And Ginger Rogers wasn't that good. This is why her Oscar is on the list of Academy mistakes--if they were going to give the award to someone playing an insipid character to whom life just happens, they ought to have given it to Joan Fontaine as the second Mrs. de Winter. Which they shouldn't have, because Katharine Hepburn was up for [i]The Philadelphia Story[/i].

Rogers plays Kitty Foyle, the daughter of a drunken old railway worker (Ernest Cossart), I think. He sends her to secretarial school, because his girl is By God Going to Make Something of Herself. And in fact, she ends up getting a job working for Wynnewood "Wyn" Strafford VI (Dennis Morgan), who with a name like that can be nothing other than the scion of a wealthy family. He takes some of the family cash and starts up a magazine, and he hires Kitty as his secretary. And, naturally, they fall in love. But he is, after all, wealthy. And she is, after all, not. And they would never be able to be happy together, especially given that the Strafford money is all tied up in trusts, so he has to live in Philadelphia and work in the family bank or else make his own way in the wide world. Which she knows he isn't able to do. Also in love with her is Dr. Mark Eisen (James Craig), who is poor but independent.

I've not, of course, read the book. But Ginger Rogers did, and it was almost enough to get her to refuse to be in the movie, which kind of makes me wonder. The implication I'm getting is that Kitty and Wyn did not get married and then have the marriage annulled. And there was no stillbirth. But of course when Ginger Rogers expressed hesitation, her mother pointed out that the stuff she was worried about couldn't possibly make it past the Code. It's a shame, too, because that might have given the character of Kitty a little more depth. I'm not sure much could have been done for Wyn, but a little honest sinfulness would have deepened Kitty. Here, she's so wholesome that I don't see her as being capable of making any decision but the one she does--the beginning of the movie sees her having to choose between Wyn, who would be leaving his wife (Kay Linaker), and Mark, who would come to her unencumbered and unashamed by anything in his past. Even leaving aside the Code, this Kitty could only make one choice.

Which makes it all the funnier that the dress Ginger Rogers most famously wears in the movie has since become one of the possible styles to wear for Goth Loli fashion. The "Kitty Foyle" dress is the kind Wednesday Addams wears, or at least close enough. It's a very simple cut, and the dress is dark with light cuffs and collar. It's the kind Ginger is wearing in the lower left corner of the poster. It seems one of the reasons it became as fashionable as it did in the years immediately following release of the picture is that it was a cheap, easy way of revamping a dress you already owned. Instead of buying a whole new dress, just buy enough to make the contrasting bits. And it looked fine on Ginger Rogers; apparently, it was designed in no small part so that the white collar would throw light on her face. It may also be a bit of a play on the idea that Kitty is a white collar worker; in men, it's the distinction between "blue collar," or work shirt, and "white collar," or dress shirt. But a woman can be dressy in blue, after all.

Yes, I'm rambling a bit. But there really isn't much to say about this movie. To be perfectly honest, I watched it about a week ago and am just getting around to writing the review now. (I was out most of the day and haven't watched anything, but I don't want to take anything out of my backlog.) I'd always meant to watch it, because I was extremely curious as to exactly what kind of movie Ginger Rogers made which won her an Oscar. After all, Fred Astaire only got the honorary. But since I don't have anything to say, particularly, I can also mention the fact that Fred was nominated, just once, for a competitive Oscar. It was 1974, and he lost to Robert De Niro in [i]The Godfather Part II[/i], which is pretty impressive for De Niro, given that he was one of three people from that movie up in that category. Now, Fred wasn't as good an actor as Ginger, much less Robert De Niro. But he goes down in Academy history as having his only competitive nomination as being for [i]The Towering Inferno[/i], which must be embarrassing for all concerned.
July 27, 2011
Looks very cliched and boring.
February 28, 2011
I worked backstage on a stage musical about the life of Ginger Rogers. This movie and the Oscar Ginger won for playing Kitty Foyle was shown as the crowning achievement of her career. I had seen this years ago when I was in college as part of my Oscar winning film list. I remembered that Ginger (at nearly 30) plays Kitty at many ages. I thought I remembered a scene in this movie when Ginger is playing Kitty as a little girl, she climbs into an over sized arm chair, and kicks her dangling legs. My wife and I with a couple friends just watched a video of Kitty Foyle and that scene did not appear. What movie was I confusing this movie with?

Kitty is dating a simple working class doctor. Then an old boyfriend who she thought was gone from her life for good finds her again. They both ask her to meet them later to run off and start a new life together. She begins packing and finds a snow globe. Kitty's conscience talks back to her from the hotel dresser mirror and encourages her to think carefully through her past in order to chose the right guy. Through the snow globe we see a teenage Kitty fascinated by the Chicago social elite. When she returns home (the snow globe belongs to her father), her pop tries to tell her about her proud Irish working class roots and how the aristocratic class would never accept her. Kitty's pop (Ernest Cossart) is a witty rascal who has a lot of great lines. We see Kitty grow up and fall for Wyn Strafford one of the Chicago social elite who is trying to run his own magazine until the capitol that his family provided runs out. Her relationship with Wynn is complicated and she heads to New York on her own. There, while working as a perfume sales girl, she reluctantly meets the doctor Mark. Ginger Rogers shines without singing or dancing. The script, which flashes back and skips through time, seems very mature and a bit ahead of its time. Plus there are many genuine laughs. Kitty is quite a modern woman and the ending is satisfying. If the play I worked on is to be believed, even though she was not credited in the role, Ginger had quite a bit of artistic control over this movie and she made sure the story and the characters were believable.
½ September 21, 2010
This movie is interesting for a romantic drama, but it's not great.
½ September 13, 2010
A clever, well-performed vintage film still enjoyed by nostalgias, Kitty Foyle brings us a terrific role for the charming Ginger Rogers and an enjoyable story about a young woman whose inner conscience wonâ??t leave her alone when she thinks she has everything figured out. Through mostly flashback sequences and history of the Kitty character, we soon learn that we are going to know her as well as a best friend.
Rogers is mostly the whole show here as we are brought back to her late childhood where she is working during the depression to support her and her alcoholic father. When we learn about the men who stood by her side and helped her with all the tasks she was responsible for survival, it is easy to see how she developed romance flings with them. However, now she is considered a grown woman and thinks she is bound to marry a man who once was her significant other but has come back after a long time to reclaim her. Her heart says yes, but something tells her another man who has come along in the meantime would do her better.
As a whole, this film is enjoyable and has great performances by the whole cast, and Rogers even won an Oscar for her leading role as Kitty. Her two roommates provide many decent laughs and a scene where she plays a hopeful department store clerk is one of the biggest highlights. Like most movies of this genre, there is some sadness along the way, especially towards the end where she meets a young boy who reminds her of her son who she lost at his birth (could this be more than just a coincidence?). Loving story and great use of technology for its time, too. A great addition for the library of any fan of old black and white movies.
May 8, 2010
unremarkable. Rogers got a best actor for this? wha?