Knights of the South Bronx - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knights of the South Bronx Reviews

September 24, 2012
Good movie indeed !! Inspiring for childrens !!
June 29, 2012
A b-movie with a re-hashed plot, but some good fun.
March 27, 2012
Heartwarming etc... but ultimately forgettable.
March 20, 2012
A well-executed, inspiring, feel good classroom film. I just love movies like this. A little more than made-for-tvish, but it did my heart good...
October 28, 2010
Legal, mas ao mesmo tempo cheio de cliches e previsivel... mas vale como licao de vida
October 10, 2010
The script's cliche/weak, and lacks the overt drama of better 'teacher' films. Nevertheless, the story of David MacEnulty's nationally successful, baked-from-scratch scholastic chess team within one of the most underprivileged school districts in America is indeed a story well worth telling and viewing.

Not surprisingly, the studios balked on this property, shopped for years before finding production under A&E's made-for-television moniker. The sadder, untold ending is MacEnulty was eventually baited away to run chess at Manhattan's prestigious Dalton School.

As a once organizer (and player) of scholastic chess, I can attest that the ideas dramatized herein are true enough. Young students WILL find chess fascinating and initially attain significant skill simply through practice. Chess IS a leveler; reasonably smart students lacking resources (such as private coaches) CAN challenge and defeat those who have them. Students ARE mesmerized by the trophies that represent their intellectual achievement. Involvement in scholastic chess DOES positively impact academics: it instills physical and intellectual focus, practices logical/spatial reasoning, teaches that concentration/study and practice is not meaningless work but rather eventually leads to REAL outcomes/improvement.

And yes, there is often administrative resistance. Chess pulls no gate, hence financial backing is a major issue, though chess costs far less than most sports. Chess is not status quo curriculum, so it's allotted no time or respect. Advocacy by parents and outsiders is key. Within two years, my own "high-need, urban high school" chess program went from scratch to competitive, running active tournaments, interesting over 100 students, taking some state/national trophies, after which a district-wide program was implemented and a full-time chess master hired.

Scholastic chess CAN work wonders for K-12 students; watch this film - and then imagine what it can do for your children and your schools.
September 15, 2010
The plot workthrough has a very familiar structure to it, the only difference in this one is that chess is the dominant theme that helps the underpriviliged find meaning and hope. It also has a good feel to it, Ted Danson's character is genuine, and whilst a lot of scenes clearly are manufactured to play with the emotions, it is very watchable.
July 30, 2010
A decent and inspiring movie.I really enjoyed it.
July 27, 2010
The lackluster effect of this film is a result of uninspired directing. The kids give decent performances but the script and the directing never let it soar. It'll make you feel hopeful but it is far to saccharin. Very little effort was made to reflect the true grittiness of the lives of the children, everything is telegraphed and fits into a sweet little preconceived package. I rolled my eyes far too often at the convenient and sudden change of heart the bad guys TV!
July 9, 2010
A little on the cheesy side, a little on the silly side, but we all love stories such as this one and you really cannot call this movie bad. The performances are decent enough but it needed a lot of work to become something extraordinary. It falls into cliche after cliche but at least the chess factor is what makes it unique. It's after all great witnessing human stories like these, in movies that are based on and inspired by true events.
½ April 12, 2010
Feel good movie over een leraar op een achterstandsschool die schaaklessen geeft, met succes. Niets bijzonders, maar voldoet aan feel good.
½ March 15, 2010
not one of the best family films going as it's slightly too predictable but good to see danson in a different type of role than usual... and also keke palmer who also played akeelah in akeelah and the bee seems to have a possibly bright future ahead of her as an actress
March 14, 2010
Typical heartwarming underdog story.
March 12, 2010
plot: good(3/5)
Emotional pull: No
November 28, 2009
"We learn by Chess: the habit of not being discouraged by present bad appearances in the state of our affairs, the habit of hoping for a favorable chance, and that of persevering in the secrets of resources." -Ben Franklin

I love true stories/ movies where a person makes a difference in someone's life and how they can persevere and overcome any trial of life.
This movie does not disappoint! (Warning: some cursing though)

As an active chess player, I really enjoyed it.
(Just as good as Searching For Bobby Fischer)
June 13, 2009
Who knew that a movie about chess could be so inspiring?
February 13, 2009
Not sure what the target audience is for this movie. Overall, it seems to be targeted at kids, but some of the foul language used is inappropriate (for non-inner city kids). Some of the things in there are a bit far fetched (actually most things are - like a kindergardener being the only one to win a tournament? or learning how to play chess in your mind in 10 seconds? or all kids in your class wants to play chess? and so on). Also, acting is a bit flat by almost everyone. But, if you want to inspire your kids to play chess, this would be a good movie to consider. Or if you want to be inspired by a teacher trying to make a difference with inner city kids, this would be worth watching.
January 13, 2009
Really good! I like the part where the kindergartener kicks their butts....LOL
October 3, 2008
Real feel good movie, great story about chess and what it can do with belief.
August 2, 2008
Another predictable, formulaic film, but as a teacher something I would want to show to my inner-city students (just turn the volume down on the part where KeKe says the word "ass". According to my students, she said it in Akeelah and the Bee too. Better than I expected. Naturally, they prettied it up for film (it was NOT as easy as Ted Danson made it look, trust me.) Great for kids and future TFA recruits.