A Knight's Tale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Knight's Tale Reviews

½ January 10, 2016
just 2c Ledger do his thing as Chaucer gets mashed-up with modern music & modern gen-x attitudes
½ December 21, 2015
3½ is a really stretched rating for this one. Mostly because of the incredible cast.
December 21, 2015
Wish he was still around!! He was a good person.
½ December 19, 2015
A medieval take on the typical sports movie. Utterly ridiculous, predictable, historically inaccurate, poorly edited, unbelievably inconsistent........ but damn it's a wonderful feel good film and it'll never fail to make me excited and involved. Perfect if you've had a bad day.
½ December 17, 2015
Watched in French or Italian, I can't recall. However with English subtitles. Still a funny film.
½ December 5, 2015
Medieval times were a harsh period for people to live in, mainly due to the fact that trying to make a living was pretty much mandatory. But for those who sought out fortune, becoming a knight was undoubtedly the greatest thing ever. And in these times, most people went to sporting events like jousting to keep themselves entertained. The idea of having two men trying to knock each other off is just as exciting as thinking about it. That is where the 2001 film "A Knight's Tale" comes in, and shows a more modern audience what jousting, as well as knighthood, was actually like. While the film itself is good, that's not to say that there are some problems with it. "A Knight's Tale" is an interesting movie, but it does fall into several standard clichés that audiences have seen numerous times before.

The story involves a peasant named William (Heath Ledger), who wants nothing more than to become a knight, despite not being of noble birth. After his master dies in a jousting tournament, William decides to take on the role of being a knight, and starts to become a success after winning several competitions. Along with his crew (Alan Tudyk & Mark Addy), William (under a false name) becomes a celebrity. He even has the opportunity by competing with a more powerful knight (Rufus Sewell), as well. But, can William's charade be ultimately discovered, or will he defy the odds and prove himself to be a true hero?

"A Knight's Tale" is worth watching for the action scenes- more importantly, the jousting- as well as the production design behind the whole movie. Everything put into the making of this movie looks pretty incredible; the sets and cinematography look pretty good for a period piece, and the costumes more than definitely fit the time period. Brian Helgeland did a good job at directing the action, and everything that is happening on the screen. In terms of acting, everyone does a good job at what they are given, albeit most of the performances are a bit silly and over the top. Most notably, Paul Bettany, who plays Geoffrey Chaucer, can be a little annoying at times, but I think that's this movie's charm. It is a silly medieval movie that a lot of people put effort into making.

However, with that being said, there are some problems with the movie in general that kind of downgrade it a bit. While the story is nice and interesting, it is also very predictable. This goes with the main issue that there are several clichés thrown in to the mix. The underdog who is eventually going to win. The liar revealed. The misunderstanding between our main characters. Plus many more that are featured that would take further explanation to endure. Then there's the music; while the main orchestrated score is good, it's the influence of several rock 'n roll songs turns the experience of watching the movie down a little.

In conclusion, "A Knight's Tale" isn't bad, you just have to go through the issues that it has to offer to enjoy a little fun nonetheless.
November 4, 2015
an excellent feelgood movie, if you leave your brain at the door and try to forget the near criminal lack of any real pot or storyline,
ledgers performance was nowhere near what he was capable of but he still makes a likeable protagonist,
Paul bethany steals the show for me, most of the rest of the characters are shallow and instantly forgetable, sewell was disappointing as the main antagonist
October 20, 2015
Brilliant! The allusions to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (and Geoffrey Chaucer as a character?!), the modern music in a medieval setting...there is no comparison to the AWESOMENESS of this film.
½ October 13, 2015
Fun, but a bit long.
September 28, 2015
One of my favorites heath ledger was an amazing actor this movie just further proves it
September 27, 2015
A unique, fresh take on typical movies set in the middle ages. People who complain about the anachronisms are missing the point, they were intentional, giving the movie a fresher look at the middle ashes and adding a certain measure of humor to the film. Movie features stellar performances from multiple main characters, but especially from Paul Bettany, and secondly Heath Ledger. One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.
½ September 12, 2015
Anachronisms aside, this is a wonderfully entertaining movie. Yes the classic rock songs can throw you off a bit, but you start smiling and you just go, "Meh, who really cares?" I think the best thing about this film is that it decided to be an entertaining movie before being accurate to it's time period. If a film can be this accepting then it's clearly doing something right. The cinematography & set design are both good, the acting is well done(especially by the late but great Heath Ledger), and the stunt work is terrific. Even though it's out of place, I really do like this movie's soundtrack. It is strange to have classic rock everywhere, but at least Brian Helgeland chose GOOD songs to be in the movie. "A Knight's Tale" is just one of those movies you can't stay mad at.
August 29, 2015
This movie was some type of reward. I've got no interest in watching it.
August 15, 2015
Rating: 78%
With jovial characters, an enjoyable cast, and a fairly interesting story, A Knight's Tale is, in its own right, medieval fun for many.
August 8, 2015
one of my all-time favorite films. so funny with a lot of heart.
½ July 28, 2015
It's one of my favorite Heath ledger's films
July 24, 2015
Heath Ledger rocks in this movie.
½ July 22, 2015
I never bothered to watch this movie the 100+ plus times I had the opportunity to. But, I finally watched it and it was a good film. I always liked Heath Ledgers acting and he surely didn't disappoint in this one. Even thought the plot was a little cheesy.
July 11, 2015
Entertaining medieval-type film, RIP Heath.