Knock on Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knock on Wood Reviews

April 21, 2015
gr8 story but why not edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy?
½ January 26, 2015
Kaye plays a ventriloquist who runs away from marriage through his alter ego dummy due to a deep-seated childhood trauma based on his parents' difficult marriage. Paralleling this is a spy plot where important documents are hidden--The story of the ventriloquist's dummy who develops a personality all its own has been used any number of times. Two times when it was used seriously the ventriloquists were Cliff Robertson on the Twilight Zone and Michael Redgrave in Dead Of Night. But Danny Kaye managed to use it for laughs in Knock On Wood!!
½ February 20, 2014
This is a movie that I had at home since I was little, and had to see for personal reasons. I've already seen some of the scenes before, and I particularly thought that the bit with the ballet was very funny, but I didn't know anything about the plot. Overall it's a pretty standard comedy with musical bits in it. It's very well done and the singing and dancing is very well performed (and with standards that are completely different from today, when these kind of performances had to be done very well to be even considered worth a movie). I find Danny Kaye a little silly sometimes, specially when he feigns the "guy in love" and acts all silly and distracted, and some of the things are too slapstick for me, like the scene were he tries to turn on the car, but still very funny for the most part of it. The plot is ridiculously absurd and a little stupid, but is more than enough for a comedy, and it even adds a little to it. The ballet scene is, as I correctly remembered it, hilarious and very well timed and performed, and it's the high point of the film. A very good and light comedy, worth seeing.
½ August 10, 2012
In "Knock on Wood" Kaye yet again carries the film. His wonderful singing, dancing, and quick-wit make a fairly ridiculous plot plausible and a generic movie enjoyable. It does not hit the heights of the wonderful "Court Jester" but remains one of Kaye's better performances, finding a spot more near "The Inspector General." Some scenes will leave you in hysterical laughter, others with a smile, but a laugh and good time (as usual) are guaranteed by Danny Kaye.
½ July 11, 2011
Nate Bell, thanks for reminding me about this movie. I thought I hadn't seen it, but once some of Danny Kaye's more memorable (and diverse!) performances came along, I remembered it all. The setup takes a bit too long, but Kaye's ventriloquism, Irish folk singing, and Russian folk dancing are worth the wait. :)
July 5, 2011
My favorite movie, which I now own! Classics aren't like movies of today, but they are still amazing pieces of cinema.
½ March 6, 2011
Funny, standard fare by the always amusing and very talented Danny Kaye. Nice spy farce, which allows Danny Kaye to sing, dance, and use his awesome comic skills as only he can. Highly recommended for a fun film outing.
½ January 18, 2011
The only part that really made me laugh was when Kaye was under the table and had to mimic the movements of the two at the desk. Otherwise a very mediocre movie.
December 21, 2010
In continuation of my Danny Kaye marathon: this one is problematic. The first half hour introduces an excellent plot: Kaye is a ventriloquist whose dummy becomes nearly violent when he gets close enough to a woman to consider marriage. His manager sends him to Switzerland for psychoanalysis, where he comes across (in a series of screwball mishaps fraught with sexual innuendo) a lovely female doctor. The set-up is a grand one. There's a darkness to Kaye's character that is missing from his typical innocent boy routine and promises a black comedy. But the movie instead shifts to an espionage tale when stolen papers are concealed in the dummy. The implications of Kaye's split personality vanish as he runs across Europe pursued by cops, criminals and that lovely young doctor. Some excellent musical numbers and tongue-twisters crop up, but by and large it never fulfills its promise.
December 28, 2007
Hilarious. Accelerating. Pure fun.
½ October 16, 2007
An oldie, but a goodie! I saw this when I was about thirteen, but still remember some of the scenes.