Knuckleball! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knuckleball! Reviews

October 2, 2016
'Knuckleball!' chronicles the only two players who threw the knuckleball in 2011 in Major League Baseball, while also showing the bond between players who threw the pitch in the MLB in the past. It's a tight knit fraternity and it has to be as knuckleball pitchers are held to a different standard. A must-see for any baseball fan.
August 30, 2016
Yet another awesome baseball doc on Netflix! An inspiring story of the underdogs, some who had to adapt to survive by throwing a pitch that few believe in. Good to see some success stories, and the fact that the future is uncertain for this odd-ball pitch.
Watched on Netflix at home, August 30, 2016.
June 11, 2016
Great doc on baseball from the knuckler's point of view.
½ November 14, 2015
Maybe a little more Phil Niekro and just a little less of Tim Wakefield and R.A Dickey would have made this a little more interesting
½ November 12, 2015
The ability to throw a knuckleball at 75mph is remarkable. I can't even throw a 50mph fastball.
July 30, 2015
Solid doc, gets the job done, so to speak. Wish it had gone more into why so feel pitchers try being knuckleballers (you'd think all of the washed up minor league pitchers would give it a shot to prolong their careers). This would be a good special for ESPN to air.
½ May 23, 2015
One of the best documentary I've watched, the art of throwing something so unpredictable yet so impactful....
½ November 8, 2014
96% Great Documentary
½ October 27, 2014
zen baseball! the story of perseverance told by pitchers who specialize in a pitch no one believes in. great movie.
October 18, 2014
If you are into the art of pitching...give this one a watch on Netflix.
April 30, 2014
Great baseball documentary that is a bit slow, but the knowledge and emotion is solid
½ April 5, 2014
Profile the 2011 seasons of Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey, the only two pitchers currently in Major League Baseball who regularly throw the knuckleball pitch. Serendipitously, it turned out to be Wakefield final season after 19 years in baseball, 17 of them with the Boston Red Sox, and one in which he would win his 200th career game (a major milestone) before retiring at the end of the season. R.A. Dickey, at the age of 37 years, would have his breakout year as a major league starter with the New York Mets. He would win the Cy Young Award for the best pitcher in the National League the following season.

Filmmakers Annie Sundberg and Ricki Stern made heavy use of game footage from the 2011 season. The film is much stronger when it tells Wakefield and Dickey's respective life stories, charting careers filled with ups and downs, in which the knuckleball saved them from obscurity, then and at times desert them. Dickey's opening-day start in 2011 went awry because he broke a fingernail; Wakefield looked to be washed up after a few good years in Pittsburgh, because he lost confidence in his main pitch. And both men had tough 2011s, with Dickey battling injuries and Wakefield losing six consecutive starts and briefly being relegated to the bullpen out before getting his 200th win.

What I like the most, however, was the larger context of the world of the knuckleball pitcher. The filmmakers do a great job of painting these guys are part of an exclusive club. There aren't a lot of knuckleballers, so they have to stick together. This camaraderie makes for some interesting scenes, particularly when Dickey and Wakefield hang out with retired knuckleball pitchers Charlie Hough, Phil Niekro, Wilbur Wood, Jim Bouton, and Tom Candiotti.

The movie is good for an inside look at the game, particularly these two men and how the pitch defines them. It's a must for baseball fans. The history is fascinating, the subjects are likable, and there's some genuine emotion in its concluding sections. Mostly enjoyable, you don't have to be a baseball fan to like this movie.
April 3, 2014
In a world of fastballs, curveballs and sliders ; there is only a small group of players remaining, who still throw the unpredictable knuckleball....but the fate and future of this pitch is now becoming uncertain....and this documentary provides an excellent look at the pitch and the players who still throw it !
½ February 23, 2014
Surprising good baseball documentary. I went in not expecting much, but the directors did a good job getting and keeping you invested. I never thought much about the knuckleball when I liked baseball, but having seen this, I hope the pitch will continue.
½ January 24, 2014
A mediocre sports documentary that is mildly entertaining.
½ January 23, 2014
Exceptional sports doc.
January 6, 2014
An uplifting documentary about perseverance and determination reminds us that the national pastime still offers old-school heroes. I say SEE IT!!!
October 17, 2013
An incredible documentary about one of baseball's strangest quirks. The knuckleballer. Fantastic movie
½ September 16, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and not just because I am a Red Sox fan and love Tim Wakefield. Fascinating to learn about the knuckleball pitch and the evolution a knuckleball pitcher. Love the so called "Fraternity" of pitchers, and the mentorship of one generation to the next.
September 14, 2013
Great look at a baseball oddity which has given several players long careers, worth checking out if you are a sports fan, especially of baseball.