Knute Rockne---All American - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knute Rockne---All American Reviews

½ May 27, 2015
good bio-pic & vehicle 4 Pat O'Brien with that big nose he sports
September 28, 2014
I was really pleasantly surprised by this film by Lloyd Bacon. I'm not a follower of college football, but I had really liked/loved the nine other films of Bacon's I had seen, plus I was curious in seeing Ronald Reagan's acting. It was #27 in The Ultimate Book of Sports Movies' Top 100 as well, so I thought I'd take a chance. Very much recommended biopic of an American icon, recognized in sports and education for all of the RIGHT reasons.
October 20, 2013
A feel good story telling the game changing history of football at Notre Dame, and the legacy of Knute Rockne. Reagan has a small appearance as the gipper.
August 18, 2013
The only problem is not enough Reagan.
Funny that even then, you had 'do-gooders; who thought it was their job to decide what's best for everyone, and then ban anything they thought wasn't. Loved the speech on the instinct of combat. It was perfect & brilliant. Great biopic.
½ January 5, 2013
Rah rah America. Football brings people together. It's no wonder Ronny went on to lead this land.
August 5, 2012
Fun old movie to watch at the start of football season.
May 17, 2012
ok bio-pic but i feel o'brien (irish) is miscast (as norweigian)
December 2, 2011
A must for any Notre Dame fan, but what I found most interesting is how accurate it was (by Hollywood standards).
November 14, 2011
Old, but classic Notre Dame intensity...WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER!
½ February 5, 2011
Oldies like this one are always hard to watch all the way through, but if you are a football nut you should enjoy a real classic like this. Just don't expect "On Any Given Sunday".
½ May 5, 2010
Okay, I had an almost complete review written out for this. It talked about Reagan and how I need to stop watching football games. It talked about the fact that "All American" is not just a title for this movie. And then my stupid cat leaned on the keyboard and somehow erased all of it, and I don't care enough to write a new one, because again, football movie.
January 28, 2010
Good biography of the famous Notre Dame (U.S.) football coach, and contains that now immortal movie line, "Go in there and win it for the Gipper"

Fact is mixed in with the bullshit, but its still one of the best football films glorifying the old college try. Former President Ronnie Regan shows off his shift movements in this one, long before he started to run for elective office.

---------------------------------------------

I feel like a bourbon Sam, and play As Time Goes By, not for her, just me.
November 20, 2009
Good sports movie, though Ronald Reagan steals the show.
September 20, 2009
The most important person to American football in the twentieth century is Knute Rockne. This movie is a fantastic portrayal of the man's life and one of my all-time favorite pictures. Pat O'Brien is fantastic as Rockne and how could you forget Ronald Reagan as George Gipp? Much of the acting is quite bad, but it's that classic kind of delightfully cheesy 1940's style. It's classic cheese. If you're a fan of Notre Dame, at all, this is a must see.
April 30, 2009
Good story, but it could have used more drama and emotion, and especially more Ronald Reagan! I was sad his part was so small.
April 27, 2009
while there's nothing especially stellar about this film--writing, acting, story progression, etc--it does possess a few redeeming qualities. Rock's speech in front of the college athletics evaluation committee was just outstanding, and the stock footage of old games is even to this day some great football. overall, I thought the story was pretty weak and relied way too heavily on montage, but it's still a decent tribute to a true sports icon and the film sets a solid precedent for the great sports films to follow.
April 27, 2009
½ March 22, 2009
It was pretty good. Wish Reagan was a bigger part of it though. Overall the acting seemed to have taken second place to the action and story which is all right if that's what you want.
March 20, 2009
The one genre from the 30's and 40's that suffers the most is easily the biopic. There are some great ones from this era, but most of them are the paint by number biopics like Knute Rockne. You see tragedy approaching from a mile away and they are filled with unrealistic and wild statements like "Look there, the forward pass, that's gonna change football forever!" I love films from this era and almost all of them have a line or two like this, but Knute Rockne and many other biopics from this time are littered from beginning to end with this garbage. The performances aren't bad, it's just the structure is flawed and makes the film goofy. I am glad that biopics nowadays don't suffer the same fate as......wait a minute.
½ March 13, 2009