Kongo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kongo Reviews

½ August 13, 2016
Huston really gobbles the scenery in this politically incorrect picture. Lots of magic, torture and drugs with some implied incest.
April 2, 2015
remake of the silent pic, 'west of Zanzibar" this one suffers from no lon chaney
½ April 6, 2011
good stuff walter huston delivers in this pre-code talkie
Horror Movie Project
½ March 5, 2011
Kongo is a brutal and disturbing movie that pushes the limits of film from the thirties; it is a wonder that MGM allowed a movie with this kind of content to be released. By today's standards this movie is pretty tame, but in the context of the time in which it was made the images are shocking. The movie deals with all sorts of topics ranging from racism to drug abuse and the brutality of the death scenes stick with you.

The movie is about a deranged and tyrannical man who runs a village in Africa with an iron fist from the security of his wheelchair. He keeps all those around him paralyzed with fear which he perpetuates by performing "magic tricks" like decapitating women and reanimating their bodies. He kidnaps the daughter of his rival, and then terrorizes her and a stranded doctor for most of the film.

The treatment of race is a big issue here too which may be a reason why this movie is difficult to find on DVD or VHS. The maniacal madman constantly berates the natives and constantly presumes that "whites" are smarter than "blacks".

The movie is a remake of the Lon Chaney drama West of Zanzibar; the difference here being the horror inserted into Kongo's plot. I was completely surprised by this movie; what I expected was another standard 1930's horror flick, but what I received was a compelling movie that kept me up until the wee hours of the morning looking up the history of the film. I highly recommend this movie.

"I wouldn't waste Gin on that tribesman, that's kerosene!"

Rating: 7 of 10

S!D
January 1, 2010
Rather strange and hokey melodrama about a crippled madman, played by Walter Huston, who rules the African colony of Kongo. He wants revenge on the man who crippled him, so he tortures the man's daughter. Intense at times.
January 1, 2010
October 25, 2008
Sound remake of 'West of Zanzibar' doesn't quite live up to Tod Browning's masterpiece, but is still an entertaining jungle melodrama. The performances are way over the top - especially Walter Huston as the crippled warlord - and the plot is disjointed, but a feverish atmosphere and the blatant grotesqueness of the story keep it compelling.