The Kovak Box - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kovak Box Reviews

June 3, 2016
While it was a bit confusing the the beginning, it kept me watching. I like the premise, cat and mouse of sorts. Hitchcockian for sure. The ending was worth it.
September 29, 2015
A slow and confusing long burn that pays off a tad in the end but there's a lot of wasted effort to get there,if you get there.
½ January 20, 2015
Thriller español , dirigido por una nueva promesa del cine hispano Daniel Monzòn , cuenta la historia de un escritor envuelto en una intriga en Mallorca , la pelicula se sostiene por su hermoso escenario y algunas escenas de suspense, lo mejor del director vendrìa en su siguiente proyecto Celda 211.
August 10, 2014
A B-movie plotline is welded to A-movie production values.
½ November 3, 2013
Intriga, ¿estás ahí? Tópicos, ¿por qué existís?
September 1, 2013
A zippy paranoid thriller concerned with mind control--A big could-have-been!!
½ December 7, 2012
Straight thriller. Liked the combination of Sci Fi with the classic thrillers. Nice film indeed
½ September 30, 2012
Alot of people didn't appreciate the ending of this movie...But let's face it people... Does the good guy always have to win? This movie was unique in that sense. I mean... The dirty old bastard got what he wanted and the movie kept you locked and in suspense. The girl in this movie is hands down gorgeous and to think she actually didn't know an ounce of English before this role. Great acting all around. Great story. Hands down the most unique movie I've ever seen.
September 18, 2012
This movie was surprisingly good in my opinion, but that might be because I went into it with no expectations whatsoever. The story is quite unique and intriguing, and I think it was suspenseful enough so that it doesn't become irritating but it does hold your attention.
May 13, 2012
A straight-faced and reality-based piece of "old-school" science fiction, the kind that's more concerned with concepts like mind control and the power of suggestion than it is flashy chases.
½ April 6, 2012
wow the ending was a piece of shit, but other than that it was a pretty good movie, awsome monkey killing itself lol
½ March 13, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

(2007) The Kovak Affair
SCIENCE-FICTION THRILLER/ HORROR

Straight to rental movie about a well renown author Daivid Norton(Timothy Hutton) goes to an island for a small lecture until his wife gets herself killed by jumping off a balcony concluding by authorities that she's commited suicide. It's later learned that it had something to do with David's very first novel about a micro chip which can control peoples unnormal behavior to doing the most rationalist thing such as taking your own life. An idea talked about in his novel but made into reality. I was somewhat intrigued by the premised only to leave with some unanswered questions such as how much does the police know about this and how come the micro chip in the back of the neck wasn't caught earlier during a police autopsy for instance as well as how many people are involved with this experiment and so on! This film is also too far fetched to have really make the antaogonists plans happened perfectly as well as not all the accomplices weren't caught! This film could've been better!

2 out of 4
½ January 18, 2012
Between 2.5 and 3. It has all the ingredients for a good movie, but its good points are also the base of its fails, because it assumes a very big conspiracy plan, and if you do not manage it properly, it can become little realistic. The villain is difficult to believe, as well as some of the scenes. It would have needed some more pause, more credibility, more insight on the inside of the characters. And however, the main idea is very interesting and makes the movie watchable enough.
½ April 22, 2011
Acaba sendo uma tentativa mal feita de imitar um Se7en misturado com uma estória que poderia ser intrigante mas ao começar a se revelar não funciona dados os absurdos. Sem saco para esse tipo de coisa.
Timothy Hutton está razoável.
½ March 26, 2011
A good (though not great) suspense movie. It is about a man named Kovak who creates a little box, I won't spoil what it does. The problem with the movie is that there are various scenes that are hints of what is to come. If you are carefully watching and thinking about the movie there is little suspense and it is very predictable as those hints are really spoilers. So it is good and worth the time to watch.
½ March 1, 2011
Boah, war der schlecht, total langweilig!
½ January 6, 2011
A good plot but it's badly delivered. Sadly fails to get t'its potential. I'd agree wid one of the other ratings that a this is a good one for a remake - wid a big budget of course and someone capable at the helm!
½ December 18, 2010
Timothy Hutton is one of my favourite actors around...
Extremely subdued...
Criminally underused...

In THE KOVAK BOX, Hutton plays a best-selling author attending a writer's convention... who's suddenly surrounded by suicides, including that of his own fiance. Naturally, he needs to know what's going on.

THE KOVAK BOX is a low-tech, sci-fi movie that tends to deal more with the human mind and the realities of perception that we are capable of producing for ourselves... than with space travel, robots or time travel.

THE KOVAK BOX has a lot of style and flair mixed with a decent amount of tension and a plot that elaborates on the concept of mind control in ways that are reminiscent of... (but not seen since) 1977's TELEFON starring Charles Bronson... or even 1962's MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE with Sinatra and Harvey.

Filmed entirely in Europe, with European casts and crew... once you get over everybody's accents... THE KOVAK BOX becomes a very effective little "direct-to-DVD" sci-fi/ drama...