Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance Reviews

½ March 6, 2014
A beautiful examination of human life.
½ February 23, 2014
La evolución de la naturaleza y la inevitable destrucción y abuso de ésta por parte del hombre. Sin voces, sin actores, solo poderosas imágenes y una sensacional banda sonora.
February 23, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
February 13, 2014
Ideal for being projected through a haze of marijuana smoke onto a hanging bed sheet at a sickeningly pretentious university 'gathering experience' (aka 'arts student house-party'), but to sit down and watch all the way through in a sober state of mind? You must be fucking joking. It's for the sort of people who claim to actually like the music of The Shaggs or the flavour of wheat grass. Unfortunately that sort of pretentious contrarian also feels compelled to advertise his/her opinion at the drop of a hat, hence the 92% audience rating.
½ February 12, 2014
A beautifully shot and absolutely mesmerizing artistic endeavor; it represents one of the high points of avant-garde cinema as an atmospheric and thought-provoking experience.
February 10, 2014
A visual stimulation and an eargasmic experience.
½ January 28, 2014
Koyaanisqatsi, an awesome wide open eyes experience.
November 22, 2013
Te aseguro que no has visto nada igual, es cine en su estado más puro, es decir; imagen, movimiento y sonido, nada más. Y aun con tan pocos ingredientes narra una historia, la lucha entre la sociedad con la naturaleza. Además cuenta con un soundtrack asombroso (aunque en pocas ocasiones repetitivo y estresante) por parte de Philip Glass. Podrá no inspirar verla más de una vez, pero la composicion, la fotografia, y la edición crean una experiencia hipnótica que todo amante del cine debe ver.
½ November 6, 2013
En este documental, un clásico de culto a estas alturas, los papeles se invierten un poco. Como amante de las bandas sonoras les puedo decir claramente que estamos frente a una magistral obra musical acompañada de imágenes de Godfrey Reggio. Eso porque hay que tener claro lo siguiente. Koyaanisqatsi no sería nada sin el trabajo del magistral Philip Glass. Recomendable pero me imagino que a muchos no les gustará.
½ September 24, 2013
I'm probably being a bit generous with this score, because I was pretty bored with the nature scenes at the start, and I don't buy any of the spiritualist horseshit, but god damn, "The Grid" totally kicked my ass. Everything from "Pruitt-Igoe" on is amazing, but "The Grid" is completely breathtaking. Exciting, compelling, coming to a mind-melting crescendo; one of the best film sequences I've seen in quite a while.
September 12, 2013
Koyaanisqatsi, I have to accept that this kind of movie is very weird, there's only images and music, well it is a silence-movie but, an actual, colorful, and unique, yes, Koyaanisqatsi is a unique experience, so poetic, so wonderful, and so sad, there are moments when you realize that, we humans are the main villains in this movie, we are destroying our beautiful world, and why? This movie says that because we decided to choose an easy life, so we use the technology, which instead of giving us a good life, all we got is a poor life. Truely Koyaanisqatsi is a powerful experience.
September 11, 2013
The video was as subtle as a sledgehammer opening an English walnut; the music as finely discriminating as a bulldozer in a rose garden.

Videos strung together, coordinated with Phillip Glass' music.
Nature (clouds, waves, mountains, shores) is described as beautiful, enduring, good.
Humanity is ambushed as ugly, stupid, wasteful, enslaved, impoverished, ant-like, and injurious to the landscape.

Cinematography: 5/10 I saw this in the late 1980s, and remember being quite impressed by the visuals. On the Hulu version I saw in 2013, I was not impressed at all. The focus was soft, the colors washed out, the contrast low.

Incidental music: 5/10 Beyond irritating. When associated with humans in video, the music had the sort of manic activity one might associate with the Keystone Cops, but with oppressive overtones.

Screenplay: 2/10 The point of view is 'nature is great, humanity is the opposite.'
½ September 8, 2013
A very emotional, dystopian documentary with no conversation. I'm almost mad at the movie for being so overwhelming. Philip Glass's music certainly told part of the story.
September 8, 2013
A film that defies virtually any cinematic categorization. Meticulously crafted, a breathtaking example of filmic ingenuity that taps into a truly contemporary sorrow.
September 7, 2013
Tell your friends, Koyaanisqatsi is confirmed for single greatest film ever made. Not my favorite, but with not a single doubt in my mind by far the best film I've ever seen.
August 18, 2013
I was too immature when I saw this. I think I'd find it much more profound today.
½ August 4, 2013
worth seeing this movie
½ July 9, 2013
Some of the most visually arresting, stunning imagery put to film.
July 5, 2013
this film got me started down the path
½ June 24, 2013
My god when I saw this in the theatre in 1982 (by myself I should add as no one would come with me) I fell asleep. THAT I remember. I'm willing to give it another try at some point since it's such "an arthouse avant-garde work with purpose and substance". Not when I'm tired though. I'm also willing to admit I may have been a bit too young to appreciate it.