Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance Reviews

November 22, 2013
Te aseguro que no has visto nada igual, es cine en su estado más puro, es decir; imagen, movimiento y sonido, nada más. Y aun con tan pocos ingredientes narra una historia, la lucha entre la sociedad con la naturaleza. Además cuenta con un soundtrack asombroso (aunque en pocas ocasiones repetitivo y estresante) por parte de Philip Glass. Podrá no inspirar verla más de una vez, pero la composicion, la fotografia, y la edición crean una experiencia hipnótica que todo amante del cine debe ver.
½ November 6, 2013
En este documental, un clásico de culto a estas alturas, los papeles se invierten un poco. Como amante de las bandas sonoras les puedo decir claramente que estamos frente a una magistral obra musical acompañada de imágenes de Godfrey Reggio. Eso porque hay que tener claro lo siguiente. Koyaanisqatsi no sería nada sin el trabajo del magistral Philip Glass. Recomendable pero me imagino que a muchos no les gustará.
½ September 24, 2013
I'm probably being a bit generous with this score, because I was pretty bored with the nature scenes at the start, and I don't buy any of the spiritualist horseshit, but god damn, "The Grid" totally kicked my ass. Everything from "Pruitt-Igoe" on is amazing, but "The Grid" is completely breathtaking. Exciting, compelling, coming to a mind-melting crescendo; one of the best film sequences I've seen in quite a while.
September 12, 2013
Koyaanisqatsi, I have to accept that this kind of movie is very weird, there's only images and music, well it is a silence-movie but, an actual, colorful, and unique, yes, Koyaanisqatsi is a unique experience, so poetic, so wonderful, and so sad, there are moments when you realize that, we humans are the main villains in this movie, we are destroying our beautiful world, and why? This movie says that because we decided to choose an easy life, so we use the technology, which instead of giving us a good life, all we got is a poor life. Truely Koyaanisqatsi is a powerful experience.
September 11, 2013
The video was as subtle as a sledgehammer opening an English walnut; the music as finely discriminating as a bulldozer in a rose garden.

Videos strung together, coordinated with Phillip Glass' music.
Nature (clouds, waves, mountains, shores) is described as beautiful, enduring, good.
Humanity is ambushed as ugly, stupid, wasteful, enslaved, impoverished, ant-like, and injurious to the landscape.

Cinematography: 5/10 I saw this in the late 1980s, and remember being quite impressed by the visuals. On the Hulu version I saw in 2013, I was not impressed at all. The focus was soft, the colors washed out, the contrast low.

Incidental music: 5/10 Beyond irritating. When associated with humans in video, the music had the sort of manic activity one might associate with the Keystone Cops, but with oppressive overtones.

Screenplay: 2/10 The point of view is 'nature is great, humanity is the opposite.'
½ September 8, 2013
A very emotional, dystopian documentary with no conversation. I'm almost mad at the movie for being so overwhelming. Philip Glass's music certainly told part of the story.
September 8, 2013
A film that defies virtually any cinematic categorization. Meticulously crafted, a breathtaking example of filmic ingenuity that taps into a truly contemporary sorrow.
September 7, 2013
Tell your friends, Koyaanisqatsi is confirmed for single greatest film ever made. Not my favorite, but with not a single doubt in my mind by far the best film I've ever seen.
August 18, 2013
I was too immature when I saw this. I think I'd find it much more profound today.
½ August 4, 2013
worth seeing this movie
½ July 9, 2013
Some of the most visually arresting, stunning imagery put to film.
July 5, 2013
this film got me started down the path
½ June 24, 2013
My god when I saw this in the theatre in 1982 (by myself I should add as no one would come with me) I fell asleep. THAT I remember. I'm willing to give it another try at some point since it's such "an arthouse avant-garde work with purpose and substance". Not when I'm tired though. I'm also willing to admit I may have been a bit too young to appreciate it.
June 10, 2013
Although it was interesting to see where the genre of visual-documentary picture originated, I found this a little lacking when compared to the recent Samsara. An overuse of time-lapse effects to create an impression of humans as parasitic conveyor-belt insects began to tire around the 45 minute mark, and unfortunately continued well beyond it. Although Philip Glass's beautiful soundtrack fitted well, its emphasis on relentless repetition - although consonant with themes in the film - was wearing after a long period subjected to it.
½ May 21, 2013
Mesmerizing and wholly singular, 'Koyaanisqatsi' is a beguiling film that explores the fraught, often perilous relationship between nature and humanity.
May 2, 2013
Koyaanisqatsi é o cinema em sua forma mais pura. O diretor Godfrey Reggio levanta inúmeras questões filosóficas apenas com sua imagens e a maravilhosa trilha sonora de Phillip Glass.
April 27, 2013
Hypnotic masterpiece
½ April 24, 2013
Filme multidões, carros, fábricas, nuvens, água por horas e acelere a velocidade na hora do play. O resultado é uma percepção completamente diferente de hábitos que se repetem diariamente por milhões de pessoas. Fica evidente o descompasso entre o ritmo de regeneração da natureza e o ritmo de producção, consumo e descarte do cidadão moderno. Este filme é uma meditação profunda sobre o que a humanidade conseguiu alcançar com o progresso tecnológico, apesar de que um pouco chato de assistir.
April 15, 2013
87 minutes of stock footage with no narration. With the title "Koyaanisqatsi" ("life out of balance"), I thought the theme would be man vs. nature: man manipulating his environment, the repercussions, etc, and while there are some shots of pollutions, highways, and dynamiting hillsides, it's not enough to be the main focus of the movie. Maybe it's supposed to be about how the human race is destroying itself, but then there are too many shots of grand cities and technology that feel more like wonderment and pride and not enough shots of the consequences of modernism (i.e. poverty, pollutions, warfare).

It certainly has some great moments like the the comparison of a city at night to a microchip, hot dogs on a conveyor belt and people on escalators, but the rest of the films drags way too much. There are several impressive shots that hold for way too long. If the movie were edited down to half-an-hour and followed the human life from birth to death or looked at whether man is independent of nature or a part of it, it could have been a profound movie. Instead, it just feels unfocused. It tries to encompass everything and ends up being about nothing.
March 27, 2013
I liked this movie. It's not as good as Baraka, but Fricke had to start somewhere.