Kristin Lavransdatter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kristin Lavransdatter Reviews

½ January 30, 2011
adaptation du roman à (C)ponyme, une jole reconstitution des us et coutumes de la norvège de l'à (C)poque.
2h55 de norvegien sous titrĂ (C) anglais, cela demande un peu de motivation.
May 27, 2010
I did not read Undset's great book trilogy about 14th century Norway. This is Liv Ullmann's second directorial attempt. She was best known for her acting roles in Ingmar Bergman's films. It is a film about medieval spirituality both paganism & Christianity. The production of the film is lavish film with epic type dimensions & cinematography. It is a long move 3 hours. Kristin is the daughter of a prominent landowner in medieval Norway. She grows up in total harmony with the ideals of the time: strong family ties, social pride & devout Christianity. She accepts the fact that her father has arranged for her to marry the son of another landowner. Kristin's beauty & purity create violent emotions around her. There are envy & attempted rape, murder & revenge. She seeks refuge from the world in a convent, waiting the time for her marriage. Here the passion of her life strikes, the knight Erlend Nikulaussonn. He, an accomplished seducer, also falls hopelessly in love. They have to cross not only convent walls to meet, but social boundaries as well. Their love cannot be kept secret, & suddenly the innocent Kristin is the centre of a scandal. Her fiancé withdraws from their engagement, her father rages, & Erlend's former mistress tries to poison her. The affair grows into a political issue, & finally some of the country's most dignified leaders persuade Lavrans to give in. The lovers win each other, but it is in front of a charred altar in a burnt down church, & their happiness has a double edge. The film is a cinematic masterpiece. Ullmann has learned well from her teacher Ingmar Bergman & this is a really magical beautiful 14th century tale. Every scene is a pleasure to behold thanks to SVEN NYKVIST's cinematography. This dvd contained the full 3 hours & contained the 20 minutes omitted from the original film release. Some will say that Ullmann ultimately doesn't succeed in bringing Kristin's passion to life onscreen in a convincing fashion. I disagree I loved this film
½ May 27, 2010
I did not read Undset's great book trilogy about 14th century Norway. This is Liv Ullmannâ??s second directorial attempt. She was best known for her acting roles in Ingmar Bergman's films. It is a film about medieval spirituality both paganism & Christianity. The production of the film is lavish film with epic type dimensions & cinematography. It is a long move 3 hours. Kristin is the daughter of a prominent landowner in medieval Norway. She grows up in total harmony with the ideals of the time: strong family ties, social pride & devout Christianity. She accepts the fact that her father has arranged for her to marry the son of another landowner. Kristin's beauty & purity create violent emotions around her. There are envy & attempted rape, murder & revenge. She seeks refuge from the world in a convent, waiting the time for her marriage. Here the passion of her life strikes, the knight Erlend Nikulaussonn. He, an accomplished seducer, also falls hopelessly in love. They have to cross not only convent walls to meet, but social boundaries as well. Their love cannot be kept secret, & suddenly the innocent Kristin is the centre of a scandal. Her fiancĂ© withdraws from their engagement, her father rages, & Erlend's former mistress tries to poison her. The affair grows into a political issue, & finally some of the country's most dignified leaders persuade Lavrans to give in. The lovers win each other, but it is in front of a charred altar in a burnt down church, & their happiness has a double edge. The film is a cinematic masterpiece. Ullmann has learned well from her teacher Ingmar Bergman & this is a really magical beautiful 14th century tale. Every scene is a pleasure to behold thanks to SVEN NYKVIST's cinematography. This dvd contained the full 3 hours & contained the 20 minutes omitted from the original film release. Some will say that Ullmann ultimately doesn't succeed in bringing Kristin's passion to life onscreen in a convincing fashion. I disagree I loved this film
March 27, 2010
I got this movie because I had read the book (and the two that followed it) and liked them very much. I was curious to see how this would be adapted for the screen.

I find it difficult to assess the film on its own merits because, as almost always, the book was SOOOO much better. Although this movie was made in 1995, the style made it seem as if it were made in the 1950s or 1960s. The style of very big on the melodrama and small on the dialogue and character development. Perhaps that's how the book is, but the book gives you a much more complete understanding of the all the circumstances. I don't think I would have enjoyed the film if I didn't understand and like the story from the book.

The movie is long and moves slowly, but the scenery is very pretty. If you're not already a fan of this book then I'd probably skip the movie.
September 12, 2008
Tedious and occasionally violent Norwegian 14th C. soap opera. Cinematography is great, the repetitive and destructive behavior of the characters will drive you to distraction.
August 5, 2008
I really want to see it again!! :D
June 27, 2008
Very good movie. The first part of the trilogy that Sigrid Undset wrote. If you like old history and europe, this is a must. Want to understand how was the life in Scandinavia in the Middle Age. watch this movie, or better read the book.
½ February 6, 2008
I denne filmen beviser Ullmann at hun ikke har l�¦rt noen triks av elskeren sin. Jeg har ikke lest boka, men jeg har planer om det, og mistenker at den er gigantisk mye bedre enn dette teatralske m�¸let. Gisken Armands lille rolle i denne, tar kaka hva irriterende skuespill gjelder. "Han har ingen tenner!" Bla-bla-bla. Jeg skylder på regissøren som burde forblitt skuespiller (noe hun er meget god som, selv om alt det gode hun spiller i er svensk og hun ikke kan svensk).
January 9, 2008
It Sucks. fucking norwegian piss we had to watch at school.
October 29, 2007
One of the few films available about medieval Norway. I heard from someone in Frosta that it was the most popular movie in Norway for a year or two after it came out. I enjoyed it - great filmography, good feel for how life may have actually been lived about 800 years ago.
½ October 12, 2007
One of the best films made in Norway ever!
June 30, 2007
Berre e som like na her?
June 8, 2007
This is a wonderful and long-oh so long movie with an incredible ensemble cast. I've never read Sigrid Undset, but I don't really have to because I have Liv Ullman's wonderful use of her work.
October 6, 2006
I've got to read this book first.