Krull - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Krull Reviews

½ December 21, 2015
Despite some impressive effects, the only entertainment value of Krull is noticing which Star Wars or other swords-and-sorcery movie it rips off at any given moment.
October 2, 2015
Peter Yates' underrated but enjoyable sci-fi fantasy film is worth a look despite a predictable formulaic plot, it contains plenty of creativity and some impressive practical visual effects. The story concerns the planet Krull, which has been besieged by an evil entity known as the Beast. It inhabits a mountainous black fortress that changes location at every sunrise. A young prince named Colwyn, superbly played by Ken Marshall, who embarks on a perilous quest with his loyal band of companions to destroy the evil Beast, after his father is slain, and his beloved princess kidnapped and imprisoned within the black fortress. Fine direction by the late Peter Yates, with solid supporting performances by Lysette Anthony, Freddie Jones, Francesca Annis, Liam Neeson, Bernald Bresslaw, and Robbie Coltrane. A lush score by the late great James Horner. Recommended.
½ August 15, 2015
It's not as confusing if your into its clumsy mythology, but aside with its low-points. It is a very entertaining cult film with plenty to offer.
½ August 2, 2015
Having revisited this film more than 30 years since I last saw it as a boy, I enjoyed "Krull" even more that I did then. The special effects are surprisingly strong for a film made in 1983 (for the most part), and the film score is excellent. Costumes are cheap but effective. The acting is dismal, but you do get to enjoy early performances from the likes of Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane. "Krull" is enjoyable as silly, retro fantasy fun.
July 31, 2015
Underrated by many. Great fantasy film for the time. Love watching it no matter how much time has passed
July 27, 2015
Two caveats about this film: it must be watched in widescreen format, preferably in near-HD quality, and, this is crucial, one must hear this film in its 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. Anything less is, well, let me put it this way: the first time I saw this film was on Encore, a rainy day, playing hooky from school, watching this on a standard TV and in pan & scan. No good. These correspond to the two saving features of this epic: its sublime cinematography and an absolutely transcendent score by Horner. I don't think this music can be praised highly enough. Horner crafts a score of Wagnerian proportions with Ring-like leitmotifs -- Siegfriedian heroism, lilting romance, and fire music matched only by John Williams. Glorious. The narrative itself has enough mythic alchemy to keep even the most astute students of Campbell and Jung awake, should the sonorous and visual narratives not be enough. Very pleasurable, highly recommended, especially to those of the sci-fi fantasy persuasion.
½ June 24, 2015
One of my fav sci-fi movies when I was younger. Cheesy and sappy, but great at the same time. Plays and feels like it was made in the 80s, but that's okay cause it was.
½ June 13, 2015
It's easy to ridicule this film, but it's easy to love this film if it was part of your youth. A highly entertaining & fun Fantasy film with good characters and a simplistic storyline. The effects are decent and the sets area beautiful. And for those who enjoy a kick ass weapon, I have two words: The Glave.
April 7, 2015
being a combo of 3 of me favorite movies plus the rest of the description makes it sound good.
March 11, 2015
great movie a must watch
February 19, 2015
Still holds up pretty good given the age of the effects. Fun sword and sorcery movie.
January 27, 2015
Hands down one of the greatest fantasy films of all time.
January 1, 2015
At the start of the film you can tell that it's going to be bad, it's a medievil sci-fi for gods sake. It has some early career appearances from some big names, which is amusing. This is a cult film because of the group of movie fans who believe that some films are so bad, they're good.
December 21, 2014
Still worth watching.
½ November 18, 2014
Whether this film is based on Dungeons or Dragons is a matter of debate, however it sure feels like it is. That's because the whole thing feels more like a series of encounters than an actual film. The characters have to go from point A to point B, to point C but WAIT, point C is blocked so the characters have to go to point D to unlock point C then return to that point and go to point D. The points are random events and really have no relevance to the plot: They could be put in any order and you'd never know the difference. The mix between science fiction and a fantasy setting is pretty good, and the final confrontation at the castle is excellent, but other than that it's just forgettable.
October 25, 2014
Someone turns into a tiger and slays a slayer. What more do you want?
October 24, 2014
Oh God.. Why did I rewatch this after all these years? Scarred for life AGAIN! :(
August 25, 2014
Very odd, a fantasy movie that feels a lot like Sci-fi in a number of parts. Weird in so many ways with tons of odd scenes but filled with a ton of charm.