Krystal Reviews

• Nov 10, 2019

This is a completely misunderstood comedic movie that simply lampoons it's southern characters with witty charm. From Kathy Bates to Bill Macey and Rosario Dawson, you can see why the movie drew them to their parts in the movie. Enjoy this underrated gem.

• Mar 03, 2019

I personally loved this movie. Based on the description, you may think it's meant to be serious, but it is a thoughtful comedy. "Krystal" is a movie with a story, not a plot, which means the characters drive the narrative not a series of events. Some may have thought it lacked direction because of this, but it's precisely this reason that makes the movie ring true (despite it's unlikely basis) and the reason that you can't guess the ending. The main character is an old soul. Because of his chronic heart condition, he's been sheltered his whole life. He admits that he has never known what love songs are talking about, but he believes he's in love. To overcome his heart condition, he creates an alternate persona that makes him feel brave enough to pursue this love. He approaches love from the perspective of a naive, chivalrous, romantic. From this lens, his actions m a k e s e n s e. His poetic musings aren't meant to be revelatory -- he's a naive, sheltered boy and the movie underscores this many times -- but they are meant to be thought-provoking to the extent that anyone's journey to understanding love and life is. This movie feels organic and fun.

• Feb 20, 2019

I absolutely love this movie. Excellent writing and acting. I love the surprises, and found the film quite cerebral and quirky. I love the inclusion of differently abled individuals as well as individuals dealing with addictions. This film is so incredibly underrated- I have no idea why anyone would give it any less than 3 stars. Personally, I give it 5.

• Feb 12, 2019

A glance at published reviews of Krystal reveals this to be a very poorly received movie undermined (in most critics' minds) by issues of credulity in character and behavior. Personally, I think the highly critical response is due to critics' own expectations about "story" in general and how, on its own terms, Krystal defies conventional thinking about story, tonal coloration, moral causality and other storytelling concerns. In essence, Krystal bounces between drama, slapstick comedy, dark comedy, romantic comedy and sentimental moral tale. Whether this mix works is for each viewer to decide, but in doing so a suspension of disbelief is necessary for the chemistry to achieve the desired result. Krystal takes a fresh look at family dynamics, young love, and the perils of addiction and dysfunction but not in altogether too common a way. I fear that today's critics would fall all over themselves casting stones at Harold and Maude, or taking offense at The Loved One at a time when audiences well understood the true human sentiment at the core of wacky and irreverent black comedies like these and others. Krystal is maybe best appreciated as a dark comedy with a heart, and lovers of such programs as Arrested Development will get the wicked humor along with the awkward family dysfunction in the most delightful way. As a story, Krystal is a very well scripted traditional three-act screenplay; as a movie, the directing presents a surreal take on contemporary family drama punctuated with hilarious forays into screwball comedy and slapstick, ultimately rewarding the viewer with some small but meaningful triumphs of the human spirit.

• Feb 11, 2019

It was ok until the movie twisted into a bunch of wierd situations

It was ok until the movie twisted into a bunch of wierd situations

• Jan 12, 2019

Is anyone gonna mention the TERRIBLE accents in this movie? It threw me off so bad I couldnï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)t even pay attention to what it was about.

• Jan 11, 2019

Exaggerated caricatures bring to life the jaggedness & discombulation that come with addiction, trauma & disability in this obvious work of fiction, that at times feels all too real. Coping mechanisms abound, Macy's charecters each have a place in this film, as they battle their demons -- fighting for & sometimes against each other, on the day to day. Condense, jarring, touching & comical, the film does a good job connecting the charecters to the audience with minimal subtext. While the film may lack the charecter development or script complexity that some people mandate, Macy presents just enough of each party & their eccentricities that an engaged viewer will correctly fill in their own dots when necessary. Krystal is a good movie for those who can relate. It's touching, mildly unconventional, comical & honest & is definitely worth the watch if you're looking for something that strays from the absolutely 'kind of' ordinary we all so safely tend to adore.

• Jan 08, 2019

The idea might have seemed okay on paper, but the delivery is very lumpy. Rosario Dawson and Nick Robinson are appealing actors, but they are left hanging by a weak script and uninspired direction from William H.Macy, who should know better.

• Jan 05, 2019

Damn the critics :) Loved this movie! Superb writing. Clever. Funny. Well acted. And.... real. Dysfunctional families/characters like this exist in the real world. So does the devil... as the movie displays.

• Jan 04, 2019

Excellent movie... I do not understand the bad reviews, great cast, funny moments and just fun to watch!! Well done!