Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai Reviews

March 3, 2016
This movie was brutal! It took far too many attempts for me to finish it. The little girl was a charming actress though. Story was unique in a way but didn't grab me.
September 12, 2015
Maybe more like a 3.75. This was cute though at times pushed the limits of suspension of disbelief. I liked that there was no villain, but the best stories to me don't really have one.
½ July 31, 2014
the most over rated movie in movie history. They were lucky Salman Khan agreed to guest star in this nonsense.
July 28, 2014
Worst movie ever made in bollywood. The GAY director wanted the dumb audience to watch things which are not real. And the dumb audience in india liked it.
March 18, 2013
all about destiny... and funny characters
½ March 15, 2013
"Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" does a good job including its song and dance numbers into the story and they don't drag the story down (despite it almost 3hr running time it doesn't feel like it's too long). The actors Shahrukh Kan and Kajol do a good job once again in the staring roles (particularly playing young and older versions of their characters) and it's an enjoyable little story. The plot is weak at times, with things happening without any real explanations and some pretty big coincidences, but it's fun Bollywood flick.(Dvd, June 17, 2012)
March 7, 2013
One of the greatest movies of all time and a classic!!
½ February 22, 2013
Let's be real, the acting was good. The story average with some plot holes with some good songs! Bolly can do better....
February 18, 2013
Atleast saw it a 100 times....
True Story!!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 25, 2012
Most of the movies come and go but some exist for years this movie does belong to such category....kajol and srk their best.....this could be watched even 100 times with the same feeling of love each time.....becoz some thing happens
½ October 11, 2012
I ceased watching Hindi movies for a long time, then KKHH came along. What a beautiful story! and I m a fan again. Kajol and Shahrukh Khan are just amazing together
September 29, 2012
Even after so many years, still this movie makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me wanna fall in love again and again and again..true 5 star movie.
September 29, 2012
Bad dialogue and effective storytelling come to an intense confrontation in this long, star-studded Bollywood Hit about friendship and college romance. I'm going to be frank here: This movie possesses some of the most painful and hard-to-sit-through moments I have ever watched in a motion picture --- at least in its first 45 minutes. The overly goofy and silly dialogue combined with the cheesy performances from actors Shahrukh Khan and Kajol all the way to the stage dancers make KKHH feel as downright offensive to my intelligence as this run-on sentence. But once again, I digress...it's really about love, right?

And what love there is, in the juicy, melodramatic plot. KKHH runs on the love triangle formed by the three central characters who meet during college. Needless to say, many things go awry and plenty of volatile emotions are stirred --- so many emotions!

What I like in KKHH is the clever use of flashbacks/back-stories to make it one of the few Bollywood films that actually justifies its two-act structure. The melodic songs were also strong. What I found tedious was the cheesy dialogue, acting, and rather bland dance sequences, the latter of which were surprisingly weak for a Hindi film, especially when compared to the fantastic set pieces of a film like 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.'

Altogether, this is one of the weaker Bollywood "hits" I have seen. It ends in a pretty satisfactory way, but that alone cannot make up for its mind-numbing, juvenile acting and dance scenes that don't deliver the goods. But the main culprit here is once again the poor dialogue. Viewers can either choose to educate themselves on this issue or live in fanboy denial. I maintain that there are two kinds of people in this world --- people that understand what I'm saying, and people that like this vomit-inducing colloquy.
½ July 18, 2012
Karan Johar's directorial debut Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is one of those films you can always watch and enjoy with your family and friends. In spite of being a bit of a fairy tale, it works very well within its limitations. It is one of those beautiful Hindi romantic comedies that actually form the unique cultural and artistic style of Bollywood's most famous mainstream flicks. This is an enjoyable and charming picture which can make you laugh, cry, at times even cringe with annoyance, but then it will keep you consistently entertained.
June 29, 2012
Best movie ever!! The best, touching, dramatic movie. This movie also doesn't include violence, which is great for a family to watch.
Story:

Rahul Khanna (Shahrukh Khan) and the tomboy Anjali Sharma (Kajol) are students at St. Xavier's College. They are the best of friends.

One day Tina Malhotra (Rani Mukerji), the principal's daughter, enrolls at St. Xavier's. She comes from London, and she is beautiful, feminine, and sophisticated; she is the antithesis of Anjali. Rahul falls hard for Tina as soon as he meets her and actively pursues her. However, a comment he makes in class about love, saying he can only love his best friend, makes Anjali realize that she has feelings for Rahul. A love triangle begins to develop. Seeing Rahul's interest in Tina, Anjali strives to be more like Tina and for the first time in her life, begins to act more feminine. However, her attempts are only met with laughter from the rest of the school and from Rahul himself, although Tina scolds him for it. Anjali is finally motivated to tell Rahul outright that she loves him, however, before she can, Rahul confesses to her his love for Tina, leaving Anjali's heart broken.

Anjali leaves college suddenly, despite Rahul and Tina's attempts to convince her to stay as her train is leaving. When she admits that she may never return, Rahul, still unaware of Anjali's feelings for him, feels betrayed that she didn't tell him. They exchange tearful goodbyes, and Rahul is devastated. Anjali never calls nor writes.

Tina and Rahul marry and have a daughter, but due to complications, Tina dies shortly after childbirth. However, before she dies, she makes Rahul promise to name their daughter Anjali. She leaves for her daughter a series of eight previously written letters, to be given to her on each of her birthdays until she turns eight. Every year, on Anjali's birthday, she is given a letter and hears her mother's loving wishes for her; these letters become treasured memories of the mother she never knew.

In the eighth and last letter, the little girl is told about her namesake. Where Rahul had been blind, Tina had noticed Anjali's emotions and pitied her deeply. Tina had always felt guilty for coming between what she recognized as a deep love. In the letter, Tina instructs her daughter to find the older Anjali and reunite her with Rahul. Because Rahul hasn't remarried, perhaps his first love could be the mother that the young Anjali needs and wants. Taking her mother's words to heart, young Anjali soon recruits her doting grandmother (Rahul's mother, played by Farida Jalal) and grandfather (Tina's father, played by Anupam Kher) as accomplices.

However, it is revealed that the older Anjali has changed considerably from her tomboyish college days and is now a beautiful, well-groomed woman, engaged to be married to another man, Aman Mehra (played by Salman Khan). Though Anjali confesses privately that she doesn't love her fiance and will never love anyone but Rahul, she is set to marry Aman within a week. When little Anjali hears of this, she begins to pray. Miraculously, her prayers are answered, and the wedding is postponed to December.

Younger Anjali and her conspirators learn that the older Anjali will be a dance instructor/counselor at a summer camp. The younger Anjali begs Rahul to let her go and he finally relents, with her granny accompanying her there. Her namesake discovers, without the younger girl's knowledge, the truth of her new charge's parentage. Rahul greatly misses his daughter while she is away, and when she sneezes during a phone call home, he immediately rushes to be at her side. When he arrives, both he and his former best friend are shocked to see each other again. After a basketball game reminiscent of their college days and a revealing game of charades, they soon find old feelings reviving. They share a tender moment alone, but Anjali is stricken with guilt, since she is engaged. To complicate matters, Anjali's fiance arrives at the summer camp too, and Rahul soon finds out that they are engaged. Though hurt by this news, he tells Anjali how happy he is for her, and interpreting his happiness as yet another rejection of her, she decides to leave camp and move up her wedding date.

Finally, the wedding date arrives, and a deeply unsettled Anjali prepares to be married, which would mean losing Rahul forever. Rahul and young Anjali attend the wedding, both of them clearly devastated. Rahul goes to see Anjali before she descends the stairs and as a result, Anjali gets cold feet. However, Aman, following on something he earlier joked about, drags her down the steps to the wedding. Just when she seems doomed to marry him, Aman realizes he'd be coming between a fated love and decides to step aside to let them be together at last. As the ecstatic Rahul and Anjali gets married, a beaming vision of Tina appears and gives the thumbs up to little Anjali.
June 15, 2012
CLASSIC!!!!!!! CLASSIC!!!!
I CRIED A RIVER!!!!! I STILL AM! THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST! THE BEST!
*SNIFF*......
Tumpyase hae.....kuch kuch hotae...i dont speak the language but this is clear to me....LOVE!
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!
June 9, 2012
A Bollywood classic. Predictable, melodramatic and some-what soppy at times
May 24, 2012
Loved It Loved It Loved It...
½ May 5, 2012
Classic, even with its stupidities