Kumaré - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kumaré Reviews

February 14, 2017
(Spoiler warning: watch the movie first)

Many of the critics either didn't watch the whole movie or were so personally offended by what it demonstrates that they can't be objective. Nobody seems to challenge that this was a great documentary - informative, engaging, and new. The only reason they have left to hate it is to say it was unethical to make it to begin with.

To that, I ask whether they finished the movie or not? In the last scene, virtually all of the movie's "victims" were delighted by the big reveal that he was a fake all along. Many of them already seemed to know that and they just didn't care. Which shouldn't be a surprise, since he told them he was a fake throughout it, too.

Absolutely the best parts though are when he's meeting with other cult gurus and exposing their nonsense to what they assume is a safe audience who will believe anything.
December 28, 2016
In Kumare, Vikram Gandhi wants to show the absurdities of Gurus and seeks to illustrate his point by becoming one himself. He goes all the way. The film is clever and sarcastic as hell. Its a filmed experiment with "truth" and "faith" showing the powers of manipulation - Guruism is absurd, Vikram Gandhi get discipels by inventing absurd rituals and bogus "spritual" ideology. Relgious people will probably dislike this film. The basic idea is simple and a little scarry. I recommend it.
October 23, 2016
The Spiritual Illusion From Within Is Really A Fascinating Journey To Behold.. I Do Feel For The Participants In This Experiment, But It Is A Real Eye-Opener On How The Belief System Of A Person Can Be Melded & Swayed Any Which Way...Unless You Have A Core Self-Belief That Initially Questions What Is Being Told To You. The Harsh Moral I Would Say Here Is Taking Things Purely On Face Value Alone Will Always Leave You Open To Difficulty Later On. Thinking For Yourself Is A Good Thing.
February 17, 2016
A great story about how a fake guru can touch so many lives and teach how to find the real guru in ourselves.
January 3, 2016
Loved it! Powerful message. People don't need self-interested gurus who only seek to exploit their followers. However, empathetic peers/mentors who are willing to listen without exploitation can help to draw out inner wisdom.?
September 23, 2015
the Guru became the student, hre also gave the gift of listening, when many other were just interested in talking at them, others may see this as trickery, I saw it as beautiful interaction between human beings, his ultimate message being one of love yourself the answers are there. We lie to ourselves all the time, he was interested in pointing that lie out. Beautiful film.
½ August 8, 2015
At first I thought this might be more of a comedy doc based on the trailer. Watched after listening to his You Made it Weird podcast episode.
June 25, 2015
At turns hilarious and deeply sad, this documentary follows the filmmaker's experimental attempt at gaining a following as a guru. The humor and the sadness both come out of the willingness many people seem to have to believe anything and the desperate lack of self-esteem that drives that willingness. The ways in which the sham works raises sharp questions for the viewer, and the empathy shown by the filmmaker allows the enterprise to have greater depth than mere mockery.
May 20, 2015
Funny and interesting social experiment. If you've lived in parts of Northern California then you can definitely relate to this film. Could be an eye-opener for some people.
½ March 28, 2015
Very watchable documentary.
½ March 21, 2015
important and powerful message.
½ October 1, 2014
Hilarious but respectful.
September 26, 2014
Although somewhat limited by the trappings of wanting to be a feel good documentary, and at times devolves into reality TV like moments, the overall experience for me was positive. It raises all sorts of questions about 'the self' and why it is that, given the right situation, we can become different people and still be true to who we are; suggesting that improving our lives sometimes is indeed just a choice.
September 11, 2014
Bizarre ... unsettling ... but well worth it :)
September 3, 2014
Hahaha! Hilarious! OMG I love the gullibility of people.
½ August 31, 2014
This is a social psychology experiment with a film crew instead of a consent form. And it's mean. This guy pretends to be a guru to show people that they don't need gurus and that spiritual leaders like that are mostly a bunch of shams. But he doesn't expose sham leaders here. He exposes the gullibility and stereotyping of a group of people who really come to trust him. There's a death penalty defense lawyer looking for help coping with stress and there's a young woman struggling with an unhappy marriage. There some less sympathetic people too. And many of the people have a tendency to say stupid things ("I'm very aware of power versus force"), and show some pretty face-palm worthy stereotyped thinking ("it's like he's fresh from the Himalayas!"). He repeatedly tells them that he is a fake, that they don't need a teacher or leader, and that they only need themselves. But those inclined toward belief just take that as part of the message and love him even more for it. And he plays the role really well; he uses an accent and wears the right clothes. Dude caries a scepter. He gives them special scarves. He gives them sayings like "today I embrace illusion to find the truth." He gives them so many rituals that it's not hard to imagine the film crew sitting around deciding the next BS thing they're going to have these people do. All he's showing is that it can be pretty easy to get people to follow you if they're looking for something to follow and you fit the mold. The fact that he has some reservations at the end about what he's done doesn't really make up for the fact that he did it... and then released the movie showing it all. There may be a way to put a positive spin on what he did. But it still leaves the people that he supposedly came to care about looking really stupid; some of them may deserve that, but not all of them.
July 3, 2014
We all spend at least part of our lives pondering the existential questions of "who am I really? Why am I here? What is my purpose? Why is there suffering?" etc. Some of us even seek the answers from others, often a guru, or a spiritual teacher/guide/healer. Kumaré tells the story of a "false prophet," a man who creates his own philosophy, teachings, and spiritual practices, and then gains followers to see how far he can take it. As a viewer, I often found myself wincing at how blindly these people accepted him as a guru and prophet. Yet at the same time, he did have a virtuous message underlying this whole project, and I think that those who came out of the project without hating him for his betrayal actually learned more about themselves, life and enlightenment than many who never see the veil of their guru lifted.
June 19, 2014
I am a total skeptic, but found the film fascinating, as an insight to the motivations and needs of people who seek out and feel the urgence of considering someone else as their teacher.
May 31, 2014
Um diretor de cinema americano se veste de sábio indiano e saí por aí pra ver quantos discípulos consegue conquistar. Muitas pessoas acreditam na mentira e o diretor acaba perdendo o controle do experimento. Ao final, uma mensagem interessante: o guru verdadeiro está dentro de cada um. O que está fora é só um espelho.
March 24, 2014
I wanted to hate this because I hate deception, but obviously I ended up not hating it. It was very uncomfortable to watch, but was a journey I am glad I saw. It did leave out, the expected, and not sure if that was good or bad. Definitely feel the original premise was not very ethical, but the results were thought provoking, and I have not been so provoked in a while. I want to say more, but don't want to be a spoiler.