Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck Reviews

• Dec 01, 2019

Montage of Heck is one of many documentaries about Kurt Cobain. It's soundtrack, almost goes without saying, is a superb mingle of Nirvana songs, covers, mixtapes, and audio recordings. The documentaries real marvel is, however, the video material: An outstanding blend of interviews, original footage, and different animation styles are what makes the film really come to life and enjoyable for film enthusiasts and Nirvana fans alike.

• Sep 09, 2019

This movie seems like Courtney Love's way of distracting from multiple books along with the incredibly gripping documentary "Soaked in Bleach" which certainly persuaded me, along with Seattle's former chief of police and Kurt's lawyer, that Kurt wanted a divorce and someone killed him to stop that from happening. It's incredibly sad that Courtney Love has been able to use Kurt's money to live it up and cover her tracks. Literally.

• Aug 05, 2019

Love this documentary, the style was absolutely amazing. Switching from His thoughts in his note books, interviews and the art. It's brilliant and beautiful.

• Jan 21, 2019

Though the film excludes Dave Grohl, it is still a fantastic documentary on one of the most important figures in popular music. I appreciate how this film looks at Cobain from a neutral perspective without trying to either build him up or take him down. Nirvana fan or not, this documentary is a must-watch.

• Nov 26, 2018

A great look behind the scenes at Kurt's childhood and rise to megastar. The only problem I have with it is that it varies so much from other documentaries that featured interviews with his close friends that painted a completely different picture of him (let alone the conclusion from Soaked in Bleach). Other than that it was amazing to get a peek inside his mind via his home videos and excepts from his notebooks. He'll always be the best and an unfortunate victim of the curse of 27.

• Sep 19, 2018

One could praise it for humanizing Kurt Cobain the most significant music figure of the 90s, but unfortunately many of those close to Cobain such as King Buzzo said it is 90 percent fiction. Well crafted but presents a mostly fictitious account of who Kurt was.

• Aug 09, 2018

It’s just a brilliant brilliant documentary about a truly troubled yet inspiring man.

• Jul 03, 2018

Great documentary on a rock icon. The life of Kurt Cobain, frontman for Nirvana and the voice of a generation. Shows his history and the forces that shaped him, and destroyed him. Great documentary, written and directed by Brett Morgen who also gave us Crossfire Hurricane (the Rolling Stones documentary) and The Kid Stays in the Picture (the Robert Evans story). Details well Kurt Cobain's life story, from birth to death, his motivations and demons. Insightful interviews with people who knew Cobain best. (Interestingly - no Dave Grohl interview). Most importantly the film goes to great lengths to show his genius and his self-destructive streak and how these two were a package deal. Morgen uses Cobain's own poetry, song lyrics and random writings plus animated imagery to show how dark and tortured his mind was. Maybe too great a length - much of the imagery just feels self-indulgent and serves as padding. It also ruins the flow of the film at times, as instead of moving to the next event or stage, you get bogged down with imagery reminding us of elements of Cobain's personality we already knew about. Quite emotional at times. Through use of footage from his childhood we see the innocence and life lost.

• Jan 02, 2018

It was good. By the the end I thought I was living in a nightmare. I enjoyed this. My favorite band and man guy music.

• Aug 05, 2017

I enjoyed the clips of Kurt with his daughter, but otherwise this movie had Courtney Love written all over it I think they hid a lot of important things about Kurt.