La Flūte ą six schtroumpfs (The Smurfs and the Magic Flute) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Flūte ą six schtroumpfs (The Smurfs and the Magic Flute) Reviews

½ August 22, 2016
A magic flute from Smurfland is stolen and winds up in the hands of a thief. Disappointing first animated feature for the loved Smurfs, who do not even make an appearance until well after 30 minutes. Film premiered in 1976 but not in US until 1983; North American fans will miss many of the most loved Smurf characters and not recognize the voices either as non-union contributors were hired for the US dubbing.
August 17, 2014
All of the smurfs look the same.

A villain steals a magic flute that was created by the smurfs. No one knows how to get to the land of the smurfs but the kingdom feels the smurfs are the only ones that can stop the villain. Can a couple young apprentices and potential influencers in the kingdom find the smurfs in time to stop the villains from conquering the land?

"Can you get a royal cushion for my royal head?"

Peyo delivers the Smurfs and the Magic Flute in his only directorial work. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold and reminded me a little of the Black Cauldron. The animation was just okay and as you'd expect from a movie from this era.

"I'm afraid I'm done. I danced."

After watching the two Smurf movies with my daughter I wikipediaed the Smurfs and discovered this was the first ever storyline they appeared in. That made this a must see for us and we caught it last weekend off Netflix. I will say that it is okay and an above average cartoon. I did like how the smurfs were introduced which was definitely different from the cartoon. This is worth a viewing but far from a classic.

"No one knows the road to the land that leads to the smurfs."

Grade: C+
November 13, 2012
62%

I'm just going to recycle what someone else wrote. Those who grew up with the show, will be disoriented.
November 12, 2012
As a child I loves the Smurfs. I haven't seen anything with the small blue creatures in years so maybe my memory is a little blurry but I don't recall them being this annoying. The Smurfs and the Magic Flute isn't that good to begin with. The animation suffices but you don't even see a smurf until about 30 minutes into the story. Perhaps my young mind use to enjoy these shows but now it was hard to get through even with my son watching it with me I fell asleep twice.
½ October 30, 2012
HUGE disappointment. Focuses more on the human boys, hardly any smurf action into nearly an hour into the film and the smurf voices are REALLY DEEP like Barry White deep and I'm not joking. Really boring. I switched off once they showed the 'Barry White' Smurfs...
½ October 6, 2012
Horrendous. No smurfs until 1/3rd in. Smurf voices not the same as the 80's TV series.
April 27, 2012
Actually, I kinda like this movie better than the Hanna-Barbera TV series. Silly little story and some really cute jokes. Thing I liked the most was the beautifully illustrated backgrounds!
January 17, 2012
I remember being taken to see this film back in 1980, at the height of the Smurf craze.

The animation is rather simplistic compared to other hand drawn animation from this era. It can't really compare to Disney films. The story doesn't really get going until the Smurfs appear.

Maybe nostalgic adults who were small children 31 years ago will watch this now.
May 17, 2011
I belive I smurfed the smurfs more when I was six smurfs of age rather than today but it was quite smurf to meet the smurfs again.

The story much follows the comic book of the 70's but as not unusual there is a lot of dead time in animated movies of this era with repetions of laughter and singing and rolling around that doen't really move the story forward regardless if you're six or 40 years of age watching this.

It does smurf up after a while but it's too late. Some of the well known smurfs as angry smurf, bitter smurf, foureyes-smurf is introduced, but not much more, there is not time to let them smurf properly.

A bit sad. but still, smurf
½ January 16, 2011
A cute, fluffy, fun little kids movie. The beginning is kind of boring, though, but once the Smurfs get in the story, it's pretty good.
½ January 6, 2011
Big screen smurf fun, but nothing too different from other smurf shows when all said and done.
½ November 10, 2010
I looked this movie up on IMDB, it said that it first came out in Germany and Belgium in 76, and later came to the US in 83, around the time the show came here. So, I am counting this as an 80s movie. Anyway, I liked it, it's a fun movie. The beginning seemed boring, but later when the smurfs come into the picture, it gets good. If you like the smurfs, you will like this movie.
½ June 29, 2009
The smurfs here don't sound like the smurfs on TV. There is this annoying echo effect that I could not tolerate even as a kid.
November 29, 2008
smurfs rulez forever.lol
½ February 26, 2008
lovedit i used to have it on vhs when i was a child
December 2, 2007
The first movie I ever saw on the big screen. I was 4 and still I remember the search for the flute in the center of the tree.
November 7, 2007
Aww Smurfs! I used to love them when I was a kid.
October 27, 2007
Really dreadful and a waste of hard won pocket money
½ October 25, 2007
You don't even see Smurfs in this Smurf movie until about half way through, I was about ready to give up!

Once they arrived, they were awesome of course. Smurfs are communists. They also have excellent Smurf songs.

My first time seeing this movie, I remember the show being better when I was a kid though.