La Lengua de las Mariposas (Butterfly) (Butterfly Tongues) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Lengua de las Mariposas (Butterfly) (Butterfly Tongues) Reviews

½ April 4, 2017
Sensitive story of a little boy experiencing school for the first time while Spain heads into Civil War. He finds a great mentor In his first teacher, who gives him a love of nature, but an honorable man with principals won't get far as Spain turns from Republic to Fascism.
March 16, 2016
really lovely story, and glimpse of what it was like in the civil war i reckon
½ February 9, 2014
astonishing, wonderful movie
½ July 26, 2013
Quite a magical story, on how childhood can be but can loose itself by the battles of war and politics. Its quite sad when certain things like that happens and a child doesn't know any better but to follow through. If all teachers were like that, life would be a better place by mentors who enjoy teaching the beauty of life.
½ July 3, 2013
STAR CHANNEL 2, 2013/7/3
bbcfloridabound
June 28, 2013
A European import teaches us how simple and beautiful film can be. `Butterfly' or `Butterfly Tongues' (in some US markets) tells the delightful story of Moncho, a young boy's coming of age as his world opens up through the eyes of his beloved teacher, Don Gregorio. As the teacher brings the boy into the fascinating world of butterflies, the boy begins to emerge from his cocoon. But looming on the horizon is the surgence of a fascist regime that threatens to unravel their innocent world.

In the summer of 1936, which is when the films takes place, the whole of Spain was intertwined in the struggle between the Mussolini inspired Nationalist Party and the Republicans. But as the rest of Europe was being over run by a couple different fascist regimes, Spain was trying desperately to prevent that outcome. The film `Butterfly' brings in these elements and lets these two main characters deal with the impending doom and the heart-breaking aftermath. The film also beautifully depicts these simple folks who are desperately trying to find their way in the world. From one side you have the teacher who is just trying to bring peace to his students and their world. And on the other a young boy trying to understand the gigantic world around him. The teachings of the butterflies are a metaphor for the change coming in Spain and in both of their lives. This metaphor rings cleverly through each character in the film which does beg the question did the teacher know about the coming conflict and was trying to say something subtly. After watching this film, I learned the character of Don Gregorio was played by a legendary Spanish actor named Fernando Fernan Gomez. I could see even before I knew who he was that this man is amazing. I haven't seen this kind of subtle grace since Sir John Gielgud. I wish I had a teacher like him in my life. 5 Stars 6-22-13
June 2, 2013
this is a spanish movie, the actors are not known but my heart cried in this movie... thjis is the government
½ January 25, 2013
Esta es una de las pel√≠culas de realizaci√≥n m√°s finas de su g√©nero. Con una actuaci√≥n de F. F. G√≥mez que queda para la historia del cine espa√Īol, esta historia esta narrada con mucho cuidado y profundidad po√©tica.
½ December 11, 2012
How do they make movies like this [wonder] L'escritorio est 8.5 ; )
½ August 13, 2012
Even if I first watched it during spanish class I kinda liked it...
½ August 13, 2012
A visually stunning tale, gently told with very real and believable characters played exceptionally well by Fernando Fernan Gomez and young Manuel Lozano, culminating with a statement that makes an impact.

Known as 'The Butterfly's Tongue' in Australia.
June 25, 2012
I want to see it again.
May 31, 2012
As far as Spanish Civil War movies are concerned, this is probably one of the best ones, in the sense that it presents the war in a way that is so universal anyone can understand what it felt like for the people involved.

The characters are really wonderful in this film. Amazing with how little you can make a brilliant film. The ending was absolutely magnificent and heart-breaking.

I really enjoyed it, even though I feel it wasn't all that original and it created threads that were left unfinished. Still - great Spanish film.
½ February 11, 2012
Good movie, Don Gregorio is awesome
½ December 24, 2011
Amazing film but sad too.
December 5, 2011
Great Spanish Cinema
½ October 26, 2011
A history lesson about the Spanish Civil War would be helpful for fuller understanding, but the story does not suffer from not being completely in the know. It is similar to Cinema Paradiso except that the consequences of the main relationship are more tragic.
September 27, 2011
Scusatemi un riassunto di qst film??????
August 26, 2011
Interesting, moving, lovely... And in Spanish!