La Lengua de las Mariposas (Butterfly) (Butterfly Tongues) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Lengua de las Mariposas (Butterfly) (Butterfly Tongues) Reviews

April 3, 2011
A tragic movie about Spanish civil war. About how neighbors became sides of the war in one night. A striking story really !
December 28, 2010
A very beautiful movie!
November 11, 2010
okay... a bit on the boring side...
August 17, 2010
It's a very touching movie with, sadly, a sad ending. I highly recommend to watch it
August 13, 2010
Wonderful but a very tragic story, before the civil war in Spain. I loved it! Try to watch it in Spanish if you are able to. I'm sure you'll be amazed... Lovely movie.
½ May 6, 2010
Extremely sad and moving film. I don't usually want to cry at the end of movies, but this one's ending brought tears. A bit disorganized and over too quickly with a few scenes that don't really fit in, but overall an extremely poweful film. Not one I would want to watch again for a while, though, since it is so moving.
ElCochran90
½ January 23, 2010
Shoot me, but despite Fernando Fernan Gomez's superb performance (as usual), I couldn't fully empathize with Cuerda's sentimentalism, which suddenly feels as propaganda. Overwhelming exploration of nature although its comparisons with the nature of man are not as effective as they sould have been.

71/100
½ January 5, 2010
Tragic and heartbreaking. Just few films made me cry, this one was one of them.
½ December 7, 2009
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up
½ November 26, 2009
4 1/2 stars.
La Lengua de las mariposa was a gem of a movie. It reminded us how beautiful life can be, but also how cruel the reality of living in a world ruled by politics could affect a child. The movie portrayed the daily life of Moncho's and his family so real and so simple, even through difficult political times.The message in this movie was very clear, it made us see due to fear, people mostly followed the crowd in war situations. Go against friendship to save their own life. This emotional and powerful political message was the backbone of this excellent movie. Acting and directing was amazing.
mvieaddict
½ November 25, 2009
October 27, 2009
This is a beautiful movie you must not miss to see.
½ October 24, 2009
cute, touching and powerful film.
October 5, 2009
Boring. Zzzzzzzzzzzz....
September 16, 2009
Sad film with light hearted laughs scattered about. The lead child actor was great.
August 29, 2009
If you have some time to burn and want a really good movie watch this one. It is a very sad ending.
½ August 16, 2009
What a wonderful and tragic story about the friendship between a small boy and his liberal teacher in the last days of the republic before civil war breaks out in Spain.
½ August 9, 2009
No se porque espere tanto para ver esta magnifica pelicula. La ambientacion impecable y las historias autenticas. Pero lo mejor es el niño, que además de lindo, se come la pelicula con su increible actuacion.
Ojala vieramos mas amenudo cine espa├▒ol de calidad como lo es esta pel├şcula. Muy recomendada.
July 31, 2009
A bit slower than I was hoping and really did not move me as much as I thought it would.
July 6, 2009
I love this movie because I hate its bitter end. The movie presents the irreconcilable conflict between saving oneself and saving a loved one--either way one chooses, one loses, and in this case, the loss is of a life...this is an unconscionable choice for a child to make. Yet, in this movie, it is ultimately this choice that the child must make. It is painful to watch.