La Mort en direct (Death Watch) (Death in Full View) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Mort en direct (Death Watch) (Death in Full View) Reviews

June 3, 2017
Future sci-fi in current look. Harvey Keitel
½ April 22, 2017
This European science fiction story reminded me in many ways of Fassbinder's "World on a Wire," the starkness, the deliberate pacing, and the art house pretensions all within a clever sci-fi premiss. However, Fassbinder made his film engaging, suspenseful and also thought provoking. This film, while thought provoking, is dreadfully dull. The story here has TV producer Harry Dead Stanton sending reporter Harvey Keitel (who has camera implants in his eyes with special x-ray properties) to interview a dying writer, Romy Schneider. The film does pose interesting questions about privacy and independence in a society where both are eroding. This topic is made all the more interesting and prescient today, in the age of Google Glass and social media. Unfortunately, the film moves as a leadened pace and is populated with uninvolving characters, despite three strong actors in the leads, along with Max Von Sydow in a supporting role. This film does have it's defenders, but I found it pretentious and dull, though it may be that I'm just not a fan of writer/director Bertrand Tavernier, whose only film I've ever liked was "Coup de torchon."
December 17, 2016
This dragged with the poor direction and eccentric motives.
½ December 14, 2016
good sci-fi/horror pic-80's style
½ March 9, 2015
More relevant today than when it was filmed!
June 28, 2014
Perhaps too intellectual and character-driven to satisfy Sci-Fi fans, Bertrand Tavernier's futuristic tale of media and what would soon become "reality TV" is a dead-on dark glimpse into humanity and human cruelty. The film also features unique departures for both Harry Dean Stanton and Harvey Keitel. Both actors are given the opportunity to play characters unlike what we are used to seeing them play. And, as always, one is reminded of the cinematic power and charm of the late Romy Schneider. Dark, disturbing and provocative cultural commentary.
January 28, 2014
Let ya know in a bit.
January 23, 2014
Strong performance by Harvey Keitel, beautiful cinematography but with an otherwise tepid presentation.
½ July 21, 2012
A precursor to movies like The Truman Show, this anticipated, thirty years ago, an obsession with reality TV. It's also fairly clunky, which some lovely visuals do nothing to alleviate.
June 5, 2012
A bit strange. Occasionally a bit slow. Captivating performance by Romy Schneider.
½ January 1, 2012
It's not exactly bad, but the sci-fi didn't fit well into this drama.
½ May 16, 2010
El reality show hace 30 años
½ April 18, 2009
"Paseaba cerca de un río, cuando vio a alguien ahogándose. Se tiró al río y avanzó hasta donde no hacía pie y entonces le gritó 'Yo no sé nadar, enséñeme y le salveré" ... Creía haber dejado atrás la omnipresente frase de Machado: "El ojo que ves no es ojo porque tú lo veas, es ojo porque te ve", pero parece hecha para esta película fascinante.
March 15, 2009
Titolo italiano: La morte in diretta
½ February 23, 2009
Really prophetic for its time, with a well written script and nice performances. However the inability of science-fiction to predict mobile phones and speech synthesis when they are obviously capable of wireless video transfer (much more diffictult) and speech analysis... makes it look a bit "weird" today...

PS: great landscapes of the UK included
February 12, 2009
je l'ai vu au cinema il y a bien longtemps : ca m'avait remuee !!
January 9, 2009
It always interests me that filmmakers seem to have anticipated the advent of Reality TV by several decades (this one's by no means the first such movie). Distrust of the media must have been rife even in 1980.
This is an excellent film, but I do question one of the things the ending suggests - that by actually dying, Katherine will bring about the downfall of the corrupt Producer. I suspect that the spin doctors would soon have him coming up roses. After all, they've been advertising that they'll show someone's death, and the someone actually dies. That may not have been the original intention, but if I were unscrupulous enough I've no doubt I could capitalize on it.
August 12, 2008
Wht are the French so much better at Science Fiction? Always try and catch this when it's on tv. (And Glasgow never looked meaner).
April 9, 2008
More of a drama than one would expect from the plot summary, this is a great little film that probably rings truer today than when it was made, which made it seem like a sci fi.