La Ragazza del lago (The Girl by the Lake) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Ragazza del lago (The Girl by the Lake) Reviews

April 30, 2015
I started watching this today and quickly realized that I'd watched it a few years ago and forgotten. This wasn't encouraging, but I stuck with it and realized that I'd completely misread it. I checked the lonely 3 reviews linked to on RT and discovered that I wasn't the only one. The consensus was that it was well acted and well filmed (true) but that the resolution of the mystery was underwhelming (also true, but irrelevant). They, as I, had missed the subtext which is that people who love each other can cause more harm than good by trying to protect the other by withholding unpleasant truths. There was a lot of this going on but I was too focused on the mystery. Silly, really, because I don't even do procedurals because of the mysteries but because they're such an effective way of looking at human life.
½ December 22, 2014
An Entertaining Enough Film Focused Upon Your Bog-Standard Murder Mystery. The Scenery Is Refreshingly Italy With The Alps Etc, But The Story Does Plod Along In Parts, Becoming Boring.
½ January 25, 2013
Pretty boring, and the inspector was a rather unlikeable liar.
July 28, 2012
a bit slow at times but good plot
July 24, 2012
not a thriller, as it is billed on the dvd jacket, but a very well made and acted who dunit with an exceptional performance by servillo.....
April 9, 2012
A well acted moody little mystery. Pretty standard fare. Still not a bad way to end an evening.
½ April 3, 2012
I really liked it up until the awful ending.
LWOODS04
½ September 14, 2011
Cast: Toni Servillo, Denis Fasolo, Nello Mascia, Giulia Michelini, Marco Baliani, Fausto Maria Sciarappa, Franco Ravera

Director: Andrea Molaioli

Summary: Winner of 10 Donatello Awards, this intricate crime thriller follows inspector Giovanni Sanzio (Toni Servillo) as he leaves the big city behind to investigate the murder of a young woman in an alpine country village where startling secrets are buried. Nearing retirement and burdened with family problems, Sanzio is distracted at first but soon finds himself drawn deeper into the web of lies spread by villagers intent on concealing the truth.

My Thoughts: "This is a more of a character driven murder mystery surrounding small town secrets. You will not get an action packed thriller. Toni Servillo does an amazing job carrying the film. He's a very strong lead. The film is beautifully done and well made. In the beginning the film is leading you in one direction and soon takes a sharp turn into an entirely different direction. I liked how it kind of throws you off. There is no dramatic ending, but the film didn't need one. I enjoyed the film and all the twists it brought."
½ September 4, 2011
I would have expected a better and more shocking ending, as the movie kept trying to build up some huge secret that unfortunatley fell flat in the end.
½ September 2, 2011
A boring uninspired murder mystery with no big payoff. There were some nice shot sprinkled in but as a whole film it seemed longer than it was. It was never interesting and nothing really happened that would warrant a repeat viewing. I'm still yawning from seeing it.
½ August 3, 2011
Ordinary crime film....amazingl landscapes shot
Hal
July 12, 2011
An intriguing, leisurely paced murder mystery, character-centered rather than action-driven. Features uniformly good acting and excellent color cinematography (setting, framing, movement). I viewed the picture twice and liked it even better the second time, as the various clues and false clues uncovered by the investigation are more clearly revealed. I look forward to seeing more films from this new director, Andrea Molaioli.
July 6, 2011
More a drama than a murder mystery, this movie is telling a story of a veteran police detective investigating a murder in a small town. Along the way we learn dark secrets of everyone involved, including the detective. The story is carried for the most part by the dialogue and the characters.
½ April 6, 2011
Good performance from the lead, and a decent story. Music was a bit odd, though.
½ April 5, 2011
Expected a dramatic ending.
March 5, 2011
incredibile! quello che un finale inaspettato!
December 22, 2010
Recommended for mystery lovers. Beautiful scenery, expert misdirection, well-developed characters, touching back story, and moments of authentic tension. Subtitled only.
½ December 21, 2010
Para ser un simple caso policial que transcurre en un pequeño pueblo Italiano, el director Andrea Molaioli hace un trabajo excelente, manteniendo un equilibrio perfecto de la trama y los personajes.
½ December 8, 2010
Surreale, mistico e coinvolgente con il suo lento ritmo.
Strano per un film italiano odierno.
October 13, 2010
A very well done relaxed, and subtle murder mystery wrapped with intrigue. It succeeds in its absence of chaos. It allows the viewer to study the characters and story with remarkable ease. While the subplot is lacking in interest, it paints a picture of the detective at the center of the investigation, and you really get a feel for his character. You become as empathetic as you are curious, focused on piecing together the information. Good way to spend 90 minutes. Seek this one out!