The Finishing School (The House That Screamed) (The Boarding School) (La Residencia) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Finishing School (The House That Screamed) (The Boarding School) (La Residencia) Reviews

March 14, 2014
I had to catch this one on YouTube, but it was worth it for the truly enjoyable little potboiler of Gothic suspense.

Worth a look if you get the chance.
March 10, 2014
This is a ghastly and unnecessarily cruel film. There are few sympathetic characters, and those few are butchered first. This adds considerably to the shocking impact of the film, which however distasteful it may be, lingers long in the memory of the viewer. I admire Argento's SUSPIRIA, but after having recently seen this film, Argento's accomplishment seems much less, so much does he owe (in plot, detail, and treatment) to THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED. Much less colorful and visually attractive than SUSPIRIA, this film can be looked upon as its more somber and brooding elder sister. Serrador's film is among the most memorable horror movies, but I cannot honestly say that I wish he had made more.
½ December 5, 2013
Not a lot really happens, and it seems to drag on for too long. The shock ending is nice, but otherwise the film becomes a bore. There are interesting parts and decent enough characters. Nothing really stood out though.
rubystevens
½ October 31, 2013
why are so many of these set in girls' boarding schools? oh never mind
March 11, 2013
The only thing that was screaming at the end of this movie was me out of frustration! It was slow, dry, the kills were not all that interesting, and you probably could have chopped about half of it down to make it at least watchable. It just seemed to drag on and on. Now, in another review, I said that atmosphere can be something to help a movie along, which this did have some nice moments of creepy atmosphere, but nothing seemed to really happen with it. It was kind of utilized poorly.
½ January 27, 2013
Beautifully filmed with great atmosphere and two superb murder sequences.
November 2, 2012
The House That Screamed was nothing special that I'd watch again but it is something I'd tell somebody to go see if they asked what I thought especially if they didn't have to pay to watch it.I did like that the movie kept me in suspense wondering who the killer was (What a suprise) all the way through with a (Best part of the movie) shocking ending I did NOT see coming at all.
½ October 4, 2011
Some nice twists and turns but a little light in the scare department which makes it seem sluggish for a great amount of the film.
July 13, 2011
Although the setting of a repressed boarding school for young ladies seems destined for camp, a mood of sustained dread permeates the whole movie. This is a film that builds its tension slowly, not so much worried about who the killer is but how the school functions and the ways in which such a killer could be created. The greenhouse scene and the knitting scene stand out as extremely well-executed.
June 8, 2011
Lesbianism and murder at a creepy all girls' boarding school.
366weirdmovies
May 15, 2011
Murders at a boarding school for wayward, sexually repressed girls. Though set in France and Spanish in origin, it's very much in the Italian giallo style; slow moving but well made, with some very stylish touches. Giallo fanatics will want to bump that star rating up a notch or two.
½ January 16, 2011
Thanks to its slow, steady accumulation of tension, the movie stands as an absorbing benchmark for its genre. A minor classic of European horror.
October 6, 2010
A Murderer is running Amok at a Girl's Boarding School while the girls are discovering their sexuality,this i've read is the inspiration to Dario Argento's Suspiria,and you can see why,the cinematography is quite left of centre and the music is really good,this film's strongest point is its atmosphere,it builds tension and suspense up well,its not that thrilling a film but its a slow burn horror which gets better as it reaches its end.
½ July 17, 2010
Putting the logics aside it is thrilling enough to watch thru and fortunately relays more on atmosphere than violence and gore.
It does however include the first slow motion death scene in Spanish cinema, which by todays standards have become quite tame....
March 14, 2010
One of the best Giallos that I have seen so far and it comes with a intriguing plot but minimal amount of gore & body counts! Still this is a pretty underrated masterpiece of its kind where pure tension & great level of suspense appears lurking in many secret rooms and passageways of that Gothic mansion of the boarding school. From the beginning to end it builds & hold an eerily fantastic level of atmosphere that you can only find in the films of brilliant directors like Bava, Argento or Hitchcock who was the master of portraying such a subtle terror on screen. Lilli Palmer as the head of the school was solid with the given role and most of the beautiful girls as her students with well developed characters & acting contributed to make it a gem to watch. Overall, a perfect mixture of Giallo mystery with Hammer-style Gothic set pieces....my cup of tea:-)
March 4, 2010
Un classico dell'horror. Sarebbe anche il primo film spagnolo girato in inglese. Mi domando perche' l'ho guardato doppiato (malamente) in italiano...
December 11, 2009
Beautifully shot by a great director. I'd really like to see an unrated version of that flick. Lili Palmer is very good as the school director.
½ October 22, 2009
It was a pretty good movie. It makes me glad I never went to bording school or whatever the school was in the movie. I thought the kid in the move was quiet pervy. I wasn't expecting the ending. Though I tought the plot has been done before, I think that this movie was one of the first to have the plot.