La Jetée (The Pier) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Jetée (The Pier) Reviews

November 11, 2016
It's infuriating that some critics feel qualified to bestow the title of "Science Fiction Masterpiece" on conceptually incompetent art fare that simply conjured the time travel trope. Don't let anyone tell you this is Science Fiction. It is a beautifully constructed avant garde art film showcasing men being nasty, a fantasy female focal piece... and blindingly pretentious stupidity in execution of the premise- so French! I have yet to see a French "Sci-Fi" film that didn't fit this mold of complete disregard for the requirement of a coherent and plausible premise in lieu of just "doing weird things and strapping people into uncomfortable apparatuses accompanied by drama and magic" save the fantastically surreal, yet present "Imortel: Ad Vitam" (2004). This wouldn't raise my ire so much if we weren't still being subjected to braindead visual confections of Sci-flavour from the likes of otherwise wonderfully effective director's like Luc Besson. Please Hollywood, please, stop giving him money to make insults to legitimate high concept science fiction. Also, I still haven't brought myself to watch it, but wasn't this essenially the plot to the latest Nolan insult, Interstellar?
½ November 7, 2016
It's surprising how terrifying this film is, mainly because it's just still shots. Nevertheless, my wife had to walk away.
October 25, 2016
The basis for Terry Gilliam's "12 Monkeys." For the simplicity, "La Jetee" has so much more to think about. Also, it's one of the first films to deal with time travel on a different level and incorporate dreams and memories.
September 29, 2016
Chris Marker iconic short film (which Terry Gilliam would later adapt into feature length with 12 Monkeys), is a haunting mix of still images and narration that's existence really makes science fiction all that much closer to art.
August 25, 2016
Successful both as an experiment in filmmaking and as an innovator in narrative, La Jetee, the inspiration of the classic "12 Monkeys," stands on its legs as a captivating film, but not as entertainment.
January 25, 2016
Like the description states, a 28 minute masterpiece.
January 22, 2016
A "film" composed by fixed pics. The story behind "12 monkeys"
December 24, 2015
Um filme feito com fotografias de um futuro apocalíptico, no qual a viagem no tempo pode ser a única salvação. Uma produção simples de efeito fantástico. Questõs filosóficas colocadas em forma de poesia.
November 7, 2015
If a human being was given the opportunity to revisit the memory they'd had in the back of their minds their entire lives, an instance of happiness or something especially formative that they'd be able to approach with a new perspective, the chances of them taking it would be almost absolute. This concept drives La Jettée, an experimental science fiction film told almost entirely with still images and voice-over that plays into the idea of the human connection and the powerful effect memory has over this connection. It would be impossible to delve into the consequences of this second chance without giving anything away, but suffice to say that La Jettée tells a compelling story while cutting to the heart of what it means to find purpose in this life, an unbelievable feat given that it's barely half an hour long.
September 3, 2015
Who need's 24 frames per-second? Honestly, one of the best short film's ever made.
½ August 25, 2015
Fascinating, quirky short film which leaves more to the imagination than it tells. Interesting also as the basis for 12 Monkeys.
March 12, 2015
This poignant short film is about the power of memories and the briefness of individual moments.
½ February 26, 2015
If you've seen 12 monkeys this may have been spoiled for you.
January 20, 2015
Alucinante corto que luego serviria de base para Twelve Monkeys de Terry Gilliam.Imaginativa y hecha con pocos recursos
January 19, 2015
When I watched this film I immediately thought that 12 Monkeys had pinched the idea from this film. Low and behold it was the inspiration for 12 Monkeys according to the review of this film. The film plays out as a narration of still black and white photographs and was way ahead of its time back in 1962. Not a film for everybody but a film which everyone should watch.
½ January 17, 2015
The hallmark of French science fiction films, La Jetée is a time travel romantic drama where a man is being sent back to the past before the apocalypse occurred and he fell in love with a woman. The film is presented with still images and a narration. I got the same feeling as I watched A Trip to the Moon, it's simple yet serene.
½ October 20, 2014
Between a 8/10 and 9/10, this incredibly influential, dauntingly beautiful short made up almost entirely of stills inspired a generation of sci-fi directors -- most notably Terry Gilliam's "12 Monekys".
October 16, 2014
Brilliant. Made me want to be a filmmaker.
September 1, 2014
A brief art house B&W time travel film told in a narrated photomontage form. Ingenious storytelling; haunting music and images. An inspiration for Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, but is itself a delightful treasure and one of the most original sci-fi films and love stories ever.
½ August 3, 2014
If I were ever to be inspired to attempt to make my own moivie then it would be because of this film. There was almost nothing in this film which I could not have done myself technically and it's a good looking film despite being largely a slideshow with naration.