La Marseillaise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Marseillaise Reviews

February 2, 2015
Popular front collaborative propaganda? Why not.
December 1, 2011
Não sei que mandinga (C) essa que tem no sangue da família Renoir. O que importa (C) que os resultados são... encantadores. :-D
MAN!, Jean Renoir, acho, faz o cinema de hoje parecer tão... pequeno...
July 1, 2009
The French Revolution of 1789-92 told from the point of view of "the people". The film was interesting because we saw it told by the French (rather than The Scarlet Pimpernel etc. which aren't showing the French in a good light) but it was a pity that the left-wing biases of the time showed through so strongly. Some of the acting is very good, and some of Renoir's filmography was excellent, and the time that the film was made makes it very poignant - the French people not surrendering..... 7.5/10
November 8, 2008
sprawling epic story of the French Revolution....despite having a great director and an epic scale the film seemed a little impersonal even though it made a continual point of viewing events from several "common" people's points of view.
September 13, 2008
Something in this film made me uncomfortable.The over-long and too-explicative dialogues?The superficial,over-the-top characters?Or is it the too-patriotic moral it gives?The three,probably.
January 24, 2008
I didn't see La Marseillaise at all, but Flixster sadly has no entry for Renoir's Charleston Parade (1927) which has officially replaced Malle's Le Feu follet as being my favorite film.

The year is 2028. After "the war," an African explorer (portrayed in black face) drives his oval flying machine over to Paris, where a lovely woman (who's only companion is a monkey) ties him up and teaches him the Charleston on demolished streets. He offers to let her eat him for the lesson, but she says that'd make her sick. Inside the pillar on which the explorer landed, the woman draws a telephone which soon becomes real. She calls an angel, who wishes to speak to the explorer. The explorer tells the angel (among other angels) that he's going to learn the Charleston. He does. Then he and the woman return to Africa together while the monkey cries.

This is my kinda cinema.
December 29, 2007