La ragazza dal pigiama giallo (The Girl in the Yellow Pajamas) (The Pyjama Girl Case) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La ragazza dal pigiama giallo (The Girl in the Yellow Pajamas) (The Pyjama Girl Case) Reviews

½ November 6, 2012
Here's the classic giallo La Ragazza Dal Pigiama Giallo, AKA The Pyjama Girl Case. This film is a stylish but morbid thriller about a girl being found dead and the investigators who are trying to solve her case. Parallel to this is her story as we watch her descent into being murdered. It's a very interesting take on the genre, but the strange thing about it is that it's not really a giallo, yet closely resembles one. It's sort of like if you're a fan of McDonald's and decide to eat at Wendy's instead. The pace can be slow at times, but with a bit of patience, the engrossing story can be rewarding. Well-shot with some great performances (including Ray Milland and the beautiful Dalila Di Lazzaro), it's definitely a classic genre film.
½ August 13, 2010
Based on a true story. After the naked and mutilated corpse of a young woman is found on an Australian beach, Detective Thompson (Ray Milland) begins investigating what appears to be an obvious sex crime, but finds his life in danger. To make matters worse, the media has typically sensationalised the incident, but the police have taken it a step further by placing the naked body on display in a glass case in the hopes that the public can identify the mystery woman! Naturally this turns out to be succesful (this scene itself is quite a standout!) - but to cash in people start giving fabricated stories to the police in exchange for their 15 minutes of fame, claiming the woman is a relative. Finally an eccentric woman identifie sthe corpse as her daughter and the strange story of what happened starts to unfold...
Generally, "Pyjama Girl Case" is rather dull but has its moments. Riz Ortolani's electronic score is very effective and Dalila Di Lazzaro's nude scenes help, but this "giallo" is only really worth viewing for genre aficonados.
August 6, 2010
The Pyjama Girl Case is a seedy and somewhat stylish piece of giallo cinema. It lacks the body count of most films in the genre, and instead operates as a detective story in which we flashback from the discovery of a corpse (on a beach even a la Laura Palmer in the Twin Peaks pilot) to discover how the murder occured. Lots of seediness and sexual depravity permeate the film, but I still wanted a little more blood, but this giallo focuses more on the detectives and the one victim's problematic life leading up to her death.
April 14, 2010
Italiassa on aina osattu tehdä outoja, omituisella tavalla surrealistisia ja vinksahtaneita elokuvia. 70-luku oli kulta-aikaa.
April 9, 2010
Contrived narrative structure exposes its own conceit much too early to maintain any suspense. The month jumps are the first clue. There is hardly any mystery to who is the murder. Lazzaro is gorgeous, but the movie hates her character so much that she is not given any real sympathy or motivation. Milland is such an old lady in this one, that it is creepily comical. The last twenty minutes are endless. Seriously. Horrible ending. Though the shoe getting knocked off made me laugh.
March 6, 2010
February 27, 2010
ignore the haters, this is a masterpiece: stunning original giallo which, stylistically, is decades ahead of its time predating the clearly derivative styles later employed by Rob Zombie, Tarantino, and others; a geriatric Ray Milland slurs his way through his lines whilst Dalila Di Lazzaro provides classy female glamour to the sleazy proceedings set in beautiful Sydney - as if that wasn't enough we get a phenomenal soundtrack from disco queen Amanda Lear and composer Riz Ortolani (including the staggering Moroder-on-acid electronic maelstrom 'Il Corpo Di Linda')
November 13, 2009
two stars for the film, and four for the featurette, giving us an average of three. only recommended for giallo enthusiasts and ortolani completists - i find the real-life story more compelling.
August 3, 2009
Ray Milland curmudgeons it up in this giallo/procedural mystery, but unfortunately does not close the deal. It's seemingly structured with two plots whose chronological placement is slightly ambiguous at first. None of it bears much relation to the actual events upon which it is ostensibly based, but good use is made of the beautiful Australian seaside locale. Mogherini's production design is gorgeous, however there is not much suspense.

After Milland runs through a parade of oddball perps, it largely hits the skids until the well-shot but disaffecting end. Riz Ortolani's otherwise enjoyable & quirky score is interrupted at key points by the terrible Euro Disco vocal stylings of Amanda Lear in full androgynous sexbot mode. Despite this, there is much to recommend as it is an unusual production with some interesting elements. If you are a little burned out on the genre, this could be refreshingly different - given a thumb on the mute for Lear's vocal themes.
½ April 7, 2009
Overall a solid and enjoyable obscure 70's exploitation films experience. An unusual film with an original structure, could be a pre-cursor to Pulp Fiction type of movie.
February 24, 2009
My rating is no stars for this boring late giallo. Just not engaging.
bbcfloridabound
April 23, 2008
After Seeing Ray Milland in Slavers (Grindhouse Experience) I decided to try another one of his films. So I chose the one with the wildest title. Also one of the beautiful babes in here Dalila Di Lazzaro makes it even better. This is an Australian Flix, and it turned out to be very enjoyable. I rented it, from Netflix good way to enjoy it, wouldn't add it to a collection unless I found it under $5.00