La Vie de Bohème (Bohemian Life) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Vie de Bohème (Bohemian Life) Reviews

July 23, 2015
One of my favorites!
July 25, 2014
"I've been summoned by Gassot, the newspaper czar. He's founding a fashion magazine, 'The Sash of Iris', and plans to make me editor-in-chief. If I show up in this getup, he may change his mind." "You can't accept his offer anyway. Gassot is a supporter of the right. Your principles won't allow you to eat bread bathed in the sweat of the people." "You're mistaken. He's in the left flank of the right wing in Parliament. Just yesterday he voted for widows' pensions. Besides, he knows influential people whom I'll convince to commission compositions from you and portraits from Rodolfo." "That changes everything." If there's a better movie about bohemians (declassed intellectuals), then I don't know of it. And surely there is none funnier. (But also, of course, beautiful, and sad.)
December 31, 2013
Droll comedy about a trio of artistic misfits and their struggles to eke out an existence in, where else, Paris. Another enjoyable Kaurismaki but perhaps not quite up there with his best.

(edit - just rewatched this and it's magnificent - glorious cinematography, brilliant performances, funny and moving. Pff... some critics eh)
July 31, 2013
We need a US format DVD over here everybody!!!
ElCochran90
March 28, 2013
Existentialism is just the topping of this pessimistic, black-and-white cake. Kaurismäki knows that the genre of the source material he adapted is drama, but when did some splashes of humor hurt anyone, especially if you have a very rich character development justifying your directorial plot management?

Even if that was not enough, we are offered two sides of a tragedy: the one that comes from the ingratitude towards art when such profession is your profession, and the one that comes with the package called life. Whereas I agree that art in general is a greatly underappreciated profession, La Vie de Bohème suggests between lines that the true art in this life is the art of living and facing such aforementioned tragedies.

97/100
February 21, 2012
Hieno tunnelma. Pellonpää puhuu hyvin ranskaa...
April 18, 2010
Jos teos kestää hyvin aikaa ja jopa paranee vain, niin eiköhän kyseessä ole klassikko.
April 12, 2010
La Vie De Boheme - by Aki Kaurismaki (1992)
Very very good film. I loved it from the beginning. With plenty of humor and strong emotions. Watch it definitely.
January 1, 2010
Mustavalkoisuudessa taidehippeydessä on tunnelmaa.
December 24, 2009
Funny, depressing, genial...a movie full of absurd and dark humour that caught my mind...I really loved it
December 2, 2009
Very amusing indeed.
November 10, 2009
Heart shattering comedy that seems to start a little on the slow side, but finishes wonderfully. Follows three men on their journey to poverty, but film focuses on the little things in life that make one happy.
September 12, 2009
histoire sans pretention... racontant quelques temps de la vie de trois hommes qui ne se connaissaient pas... simple...la vie...
½ July 23, 2009
Just amazing. A refreshingly original masterpiece. One of those films that can make laugh and cry. Art, friendship and love go hand in hand throughout this charming story. Immediately became one of my personal favourites.
½ May 17, 2009
money, money, its always that
February 12, 2009
One of my all time favourite films - such stillness is amazing - fantabulous - could go on about melancholy and shit but really - this is one hugely funny films - and the laughter sits in the silent spaces in the film - makes love to my eyes and mind!
½ June 11, 2008
Another masterpiece from our best director Aki Kaurismäki.
May 2, 2008
Hyvä kuvaus taiteilijoista ja Pariisista.
May 1, 2008
A melancholic masterpiece. Aki Kaurismaki strikes again with this fantastic movie about struggling artists sharing homes and bottles in Paris.

Great shots. Acting with that distinct Kaurismaki style. Bizarre music and a pervading sense of hope despite all the gloominess.. perfect!