Reviews

• Oct 29, 2017

A lurid childhood fantasy tale, but someone let David Lynch help. It's incredible to read what other people take away from this movie. In my opinion, it's not a murder mystery (hey actually I'm almost positive about this one) or a thriller, and it doesn't lack "any visible plot". It is very surreal and dream-logicy, but the story clearly follows Isidore on some sort of journey. Ok, I know that doesn't make me sound like an authority, because I'm not. But there IS a narrative here and interesting characters, and I'm tired of people saying otherwise. Genre wise, it's a bit fantasy, a bit drama, a bit horror, a bit arthouse (is that a genre?). It defies classification. Anyway, this is one of the most incredible movies I have ever seen. I can't recommend it enough. "I have two loves, my country and Paris..."

• May 14, 2013

Stunning piece of surrealist filming--Sheer visual brilliance!!

Stunning piece of surrealist filming--Sheer visual brilliance!!

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Oct 31, 2011

Cinema reaching surreal grandeur. Celluloid history has now left one of its privileged high thrones for an alternate genius of breathtaking storytelling, armed with beautiful techniques: an editing and cinematography of Welles, the surreal brilliance of Buñuel and the artistic poetry of Cocteau. The result is an explosion of perfection in every sense, in every allegory, in every frame, in every orgy of images, in every shot of the sea as the central juggernaut of unavoidable attacks and psychological vibrations. Five minutes after the last shot (the one with the shadow), I started to get red eyes and was on the verge of crying (literally). 99/100

• Jul 12, 2011

A compilation of episodes that range from the comedic to the bizarre... without a core storyline. Am sure this will appeal to a niche audience but unfortunately, it's not my type of movie though I must admit, some of the scenes were breathtakingly beautiful.

• Oct 21, 2010

Much of the pleasure & complexity

Much of the pleasure & complexity

• Jan 10, 2009

This was truly beautiful to look at, especially the crazed color schemes. Beyond that, I'd really have to watch it again before I could say much about it or even if I particularly liked it. What's it about? Oh, I don't know: identity shifts, family members who kill each other, gender confusions, Nietzsche's Eternal Return, ghosts, and on and on. I will say, on first impression, I found the film more whimsical than unsettling which isn't the case with the many other films Ruiz made around this time.