Ladies in Lavender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ladies in Lavender Reviews

December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!
December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!
November 4, 2012
Superb performance by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. Simple, sensual, scenic and so British!
September 14, 2012
Entertaining for what it should be .... A made for tv movie. Both Dames Maggie Smith and Judi Dench must have been hard up for money.
September 13, 2012
Maggie Smith and, in particular, Judi Dench are excellent in this nice film.
August 27, 2012
Two of my fave actress in a wonderful film
July 19, 2012
Gorgeous looking, gently humorous and deeply moving gem of a film.
June 24, 2012
The film, directed by Charles Dance, is the epitome of good, low budget, British cinema. Two major actresses, Judy dench and Maggie Smith underplay their parts very well. Maggie Smith has that special gift of "scene stealing". The locations were superb and true to life as I remember that era well. The casting director gathered a supporting cast who added to the enjoyment of the film. My only complaint was that the editing for the first 30mins of the film lacked sympathy with the plot and, at times, very abrupt. The question of how the boy got into the water is never explained but it didn't matter because the script was more of a story without a beginning and without end. A great film, I loved it!

May 16, 2012
there can't be anything less than good when Dench, Smith & Margolyes are in it together. loved every minute of it!
½ May 16, 2012
great acting from the "sisters of mercy", their maid and the doctor. this movie contrasts the accommodation, insecurities and naivete of the old gals against the bright talent, youthful energy and self-advancing agendas of the young foreign couple. a social commentary of sorts, with lots of great lines from dench & smith.
April 21, 2012
Lovely movie, lovely music. Oh...the wonderful talent of Ms Dench & Ms Smith!!
February 7, 2012
Excellent little British film. Judy Dench and Maggie Smith are outstanding. A nice little gem.
February 4, 2012
Charming for a nice little Period Drama. All around though, average.
January 30, 2012
A cute movie, but I actually enjoyed the soundtrack more than anything.
January 27, 2012
This is a very sweet and quiet film. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered - but who's to say that's necessarily a bad thing? The violinist is handsome if a little bland (when not playing the violin - and anyway the blandness may be intentional). But the best thing is the acting from Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. I don't think the film would have worked nearly as well with different actresses. I'm tempted to say I preferred JD's performance, but that may be because I preferred the character she was playing. The most irritating thing was Natascha McElhone, or her character (an artist coming from...I never quite grasped where she came from). I just didn't like her. I wanted her to disappear. I understood Ursula perfectly when she said the woman's like an evil witch in a fairy tale. She just suddenly pops up in the garden and wants to spirit Andrea (the violinist) away.... The music is gorgeous, as is the scenery/setting.
January 21, 2012
A decidedly simple quiet drama. But thanks to the considerable talent of both Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. They manage to elevate it.
January 10, 2012
A beautiful and heartwarming film with phenomenal performances by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. I think we often forget or overlook the possibility that older people still have hearts and can still fall in love. This movie reminds us to be mindful of people's hearts and feelings.
merlynsprankling
½ December 25, 2011
Excellent performances by the two Dames and Miriam Margolyes was hilarious as always. Every part she plays she seems to fit into perfectly. Anyone who ever had elderly aunts living together would see them reincarnated as Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. The interplay of the sisters' (Dench and Smith) personalities both within their household and with village characters and with their housekeeper was beautifully portrayed. It's true that some events are never explained fully, but I thought there was considerable psychological depth to the film.

'Ladies in Lavender', stars two stalwarts of British stage and screen, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. They play sisters, Janet and Ursula, who live in a house on the cliffs in Cornwall. One night during a storm they discover a young man washed up on the beach below.

Ensconced in their spare room, speaking no English, with a broken ankle he's the most exciting thing to happen in the women's lives in decades and Ursula develops a crush on him.

Andrea who's played by Daniel Bruehl of Goodbye Lenin fame turns out to be a talented musician, stirring the interest of a German artist Olga (Natasha McElhone) who's staying nearby.

The magnificent Cornish scenery should leave no doubt as to why people, artists especially have always been attracted there. The Cornish setting was breathtaking and the music glorious. The acting, the late 30's household setting, the village details, the music make this a superb story. This is not a film for teenagers. The emotional tenor of this film is absolutely haunting and exactly right for anyone of a certain maturity.

It's a movie that explored in a subtle way themes of loss, love, ageing and that portrayed life and community from a bygone era. It's a very poignant and moving film. The flick gives a very lovely and sad insight into one woman's unfullfilled dreams of love and her grief. It was a delicate study about the denial of love which the two dames carried off superbly.

The strength of this film was what was left unsaid -- there was enough given away to make one think about the deep emotions running just below the surface. Albeit the story has some holes in it, and is a bit cheesy at times but what is going on internally for Usrula (Dench) is protrayed subtely yet powerfully enough to carry the film.
½ October 15, 2011
It's gorgeous. And it's Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. What more could one want?
September 17, 2011
Interesting; misses the mark. I never feel a real connection to any of the characters, unfortunately, which makes this potentially great story only good. I think the problem is mostly due to the lack of dialogue, but also to a consistently wide camera angle that precludes a close view of the actors. Joshua Bell's playing throughout is the best part.