Ladies in Lavender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ladies in Lavender Reviews

October 15, 2013
Watching it was like breathing fresh air, quietly beautiful.
½ September 9, 2013
I have yet to see movie with Maggie Smith in it that I have not liked. The plot could be considered disgusting for some. nonetheless this was a touching movie. The acting was superb as well as the music. If you like movies with British actors and that takes place in England, then you shod give this movie a chance.
March 29, 2013
Where was the plot? What a waste of time.
½ March 8, 2013
Enjoyable but be prepared for an extremely leisurely pace. You will need a good glass of wine, and don't expect your husband to make it through! Aside from that, anything with Dench and Smith is worth watching. Beautiful cinematography and period detail.
½ January 19, 2013
Andrea's gone. With that woman.....
December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!
December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!
November 4, 2012
Superb performance by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. Simple, sensual, scenic and so British!
September 14, 2012
Entertaining for what it should be .... A made for tv movie. Both Dames Maggie Smith and Judi Dench must have been hard up for money.
September 13, 2012
Maggie Smith and, in particular, Judi Dench are excellent in this nice film.
August 27, 2012
Two of my fave actress in a wonderful film
July 19, 2012
Gorgeous looking, gently humorous and deeply moving gem of a film.
June 24, 2012
The film, directed by Charles Dance, is the epitome of good, low budget, British cinema. Two major actresses, Judy dench and Maggie Smith underplay their parts very well. Maggie Smith has that special gift of "scene stealing". The locations were superb and true to life as I remember that era well. The casting director gathered a supporting cast who added to the enjoyment of the film. My only complaint was that the editing for the first 30mins of the film lacked sympathy with the plot and, at times, very abrupt. The question of how the boy got into the water is never explained but it didn't matter because the script was more of a story without a beginning and without end. A great film, I loved it!

May 16, 2012
there can't be anything less than good when Dench, Smith & Margolyes are in it together. loved every minute of it!
½ May 16, 2012
great acting from the "sisters of mercy", their maid and the doctor. this movie contrasts the accommodation, insecurities and naivete of the old gals against the bright talent, youthful energy and self-advancing agendas of the young foreign couple. a social commentary of sorts, with lots of great lines from dench & smith.
April 21, 2012
Lovely movie, lovely music. Oh...the wonderful talent of Ms Dench & Ms Smith!!
February 7, 2012
Excellent little British film. Judy Dench and Maggie Smith are outstanding. A nice little gem.
February 4, 2012
Charming for a nice little Period Drama. All around though, average.
January 30, 2012
A cute movie, but I actually enjoyed the soundtrack more than anything.
January 27, 2012
This is a very sweet and quiet film. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered - but who's to say that's necessarily a bad thing? The violinist is handsome if a little bland (when not playing the violin - and anyway the blandness may be intentional). But the best thing is the acting from Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. I don't think the film would have worked nearly as well with different actresses. I'm tempted to say I preferred JD's performance, but that may be because I preferred the character she was playing. The most irritating thing was Natascha McElhone, or her character (an artist coming from...I never quite grasped where she came from). I just didn't like her. I wanted her to disappear. I understood Ursula perfectly when she said the woman's like an evil witch in a fairy tale. She just suddenly pops up in the garden and wants to spirit Andrea (the violinist) away.... The music is gorgeous, as is the scenery/setting.