Lady Snowblood (Lady Snowblood: Blizzard from the Netherworld) (Shurayukihime) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lady Snowblood (Lady Snowblood: Blizzard from the Netherworld) (Shurayukihime) Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
One of the greatest films in the Asian action/revenge genre. Lady Snowblood is action packed and stylish. Meiko Kaji carries the film with her quiet intensity. The backstory told in flashback is handled deftly in how it's told in more of an emotional sequence than a chronological one. The movie looks cheap at times, with landscapes clearly filmed on sound stages, but it's satisfying overall.
July 29, 2016
Tarrantino's muse for Kill Bill. Samurai revenge films at its best.
July 28, 2016
I expected the precisely choreographed action sequences, but I was pleasantly surprised by Fujita's use of photographic stills at key points in the narrative. This was a feast for the eyes all around.
June 19, 2016
This movie, shot in 1973, makes Kill Bill look like a distant relative.
½ April 21, 2016
Some beautiful stuff for sure, great use of red and white, but the storytelling is pretty lacking. Something more linear would've been better I think. As it stands, it never really builds momentum and there's no real pace.
March 20, 2016
This revenge tale was the primary inspiration for Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films. This movie is violent, but also very stylishly shot. The print looks amazing thanks to a great job restoring it by Criterion Collection. Fans of "Kill Bill" and Tarantino in general must see this movie!
March 13, 2016
Lady Snowblood (1973) ???
Bold (if excessively gory) revenge saga; the major inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's KILL BILL. Young girl is raised to avenge the brutal murder of her mother and father. Stylish, inventively graphic depiction of a good story provides plenty of in-your-face techniques and bravura design. Warning: The rating above is strictly for those with a tolerance for extreme violence and gore.
½ January 22, 2016
Rivers of blood and revenge. Stylistic and beautiful stabbing drama. Visually stunning and somewhat unique built.
January 21, 2016
A beautiful young woman (Meiko Kaji) has been brutally trained from birth to avenge the rape of her mother and the murder of her family. The shifting landscape of early 20th century Japan serves as the backdrop for her blood-soaked quest for vengeance. Derived from the shonen manga by Kazuo Koike and Kazuo Kamimura, Western audiences best know Lady Snowblood for being a core inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill movies. While it's easy to draw parallels between the two projects, Lady Snowblood possesses a visceral poetry of its own. This movie's creative (and copious) amounts of bloodletting undoubtedly place it in the grindhouse, but Meiko Kaji's gritty performance and the artful direction of Toshiya Fujita give Lady Snowblood an abundance of color, atmosphere, and composure to go along with the ultraviolence.
½ January 12, 2016
She doesn't ever crack a smile. Hate rests in her wide onyx eyes, her body language speaking in tongues that suggest she'll cut your heart out if you come so far as interrupting a thought. Don't make judgment regarding her personality based on her opaque skin, her childlike innocence, her soft manner of dress; be fooled by the way she presents herself and you'll come to regret it, becoming another victim in her path of bloody revenge. She was born to seek vengeance, and if her mission is obstructed by Buddha himself, she'll kill him too. It is mercy, compassion, and forgiveness she lacks, not rationality.
I am, of course, speaking of "Lady Snowblood's" eponymous heroine, who goes by the name of Yuki and who doesn't much care if you're bothered by her unrelenting ability to slice and maim the villains that confront her on a regular basis. Played by the ravishing Meiko Kaji, a great beauty whose porcelain features make her even more interesting of a revenge connoisseur, Yuki is a forgotten action heroine who rivals the likes of Foxy Brown, Beatrix Kiddo, and Black Widow, selling a character that most would have trouble conveying seriously.
By now, "Lady Snowblood" has gained traction in the film community due to its huge impact on Quentin Tarantino's flawless "Kill Bill" duet, and, more recently, because of its Criterion Collection revamping, which will hopefully give it a notoriety more widespread than the cultish infamy it has treaded through for forty-some years. A hidden masterpiece it is - not an exploitative "girl with a weapon" movie a la "They Call Her One Eye" or "I Spit On Your Grave," it is a work of severed limb surrounded poetry, defeating its budgetary limitations through extraordinary camerawork and artistically wondrous direction from Toshiya Fujita. Its scenery is breathtaking, its violence high-wired and strangely kinetic; with little, it diffuses irresistible celluloid wizardry.
Though I wish it were slightly more grandiose in its scenes of violence (which make the film fresh again after some goings are rough), "Lady Snowblood's" story is more attentive than we'd expect with material like this - set in the late 1800s, it follows the unequalled Yuki as she begins her years-in-the-making revenge quest. Through flashback, we discover that her mother (Miyoko Akaza), along with her husband and son, were attacked by a gang of vicious criminals before her birth, her mother the only survivor.
At first, the latter attempts to find vengeance herself, but is instead caught and imprisoned. Knowing that she will never be able to escape the confines of her cell, she intentionally gets herself pregnant so that the baby born will exist purely to avenge the sins done to her family. Two decades later, the baby grows up to be Yuki, who never experienced a childhood and who has never known anything besides bloodlust. With the four individuals responsible for her family's ruin still living life as though nothing has changed, she is determined to off them cruelly and efficiently - we can only wonder what her life's purpose will be once her mission is completed and the thirst of revenge is quenched.
As it is an above-average B-movie, I'll be the first to admit that "Lady Snowblood" has a few story-based issues, whether they be because of the decision to put more attention upon watery drama than fight scenes, or the way the mini-revenges themselves are not always as gratifying as we'd like them to be. But complaints should not abound in a film without the financial capabilities in Tarantino's pocket - considering what and whom it as, "Lady Snowblood" is a minor masterpiece in the revenge genre, expertly filmed and featuring visuals bold enough to kick you in the crotch. Kaji gives a masterful performance, understated to unnerving ends, and Fujita's direction feels grand even when certain components refuse to be. There isn't anything quite like "Lady Snowblood," and fingers are crossed that it goes from perpetual underdog to "Death Wish" overthrower. It's something special not to be missed.
January 1, 2016
If you enjoy Kill Bill style vengence films, this is a treat. Apparently Quinten drew inspiration from this and it shows. Great story and cinematography really draw you in with this movie.
December 28, 2015
Crazy cartoony violence
½ May 21, 2015
I was a wee bit disappointed in this...I was expecting it to grab me in the same way other Tarantino inspirations have (e.g.. Coffy) It might hold up better on another viewing. I liked how gruesome the revenge scenes were and there was a great poetry to the shots and set pieces.
½ March 29, 2015
Great movie. Makes you realize how much Tarantino took...
February 8, 2015
Need a subtitled copy!!!
½ October 9, 2014
One hell of a revenge flick. Classic period Japanese blood-spatter mayhem.
August 21, 2014
Awesome mayhem and clear inspiration for Kill BIll
August 4, 2014
A Great Name for a Gore Katana Slashing Galore movie
½ August 3, 2014
An orgy of blood and a purity American movies will never reach...besides...I was wondering if Quentin Tarantino has gone out of ideas I see this started many years before...copying whole sequences of other movies can't really been rated as original or genius...the older I get the more idols die...
June 13, 2014
A baby girl is born in prison and is raised to become a warrior seeking vengeance for the atrocities that befell her mother. If "Seven Samurai" is a nice expensive steak, this is a really tasty cheeseburger. This is pure pulp and it's got over-the-top violence (damn, those blood spurts!) and B-level cheesiness but it's tons of fun. Quentin Tarantino borrowed heavily from this movie to make "Kill Bill" and I can see why. I've been liking way too many movies lately. Someone should recommend me a movie I might hate.