Lady Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lady Jane Reviews

July 1, 2016
A good film. with a very youthful Helena Bonham Carter as Lady Jane Grey. Only one problem really, very poor sound quality throughout especially with dialogue. Had to use subtitles to follow.
½ September 16, 2015
excellent. I really don't care about the accuracy of the history in this, the romance was all I needed. tragic tale.
July 9, 2014
long but more interesting than i expected. Fucked up 16th century. Cary Elwes and Helena Bonham Carter were great as always. I liked Warren Saire too. There was something i didn't like though. i don't know what. maybe the 1986 quality or the directing.
April 24, 2014
By far one of my favorite movies of all time!
January 23, 2013
its sooooooooooooooo long i cant watch it anymore lol
January 1, 2013
good historical film great actimg and cast
October 1, 2012
I enjoyed the combo of Carter & Elwes. Movie was too long.
August 19, 2012
Not really historically accurate but who cares...
April 13, 2012
A little long and sometimes slow, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm a huge fan of all things Tudor Dynasty era and this definitely fills my craving when I need a dose of history. A GREAT movie to at least see once.
January 24, 2012
Such a sad story! I half don't want to find out how much of it is actually true. Lots of awesome actors in this movie, too.
January 13, 2012
this movie was actual better than i thought it would be
January 7, 2012
Ugg she was so whinny! Cary was just yummay! Could have been a better movie. Costumes for Jane were lacking, did she only own one?? Other than her, the costumes were wonderful.
October 27, 2011
I cried my eyes out.
October 20, 2011
A romantic and tragic period piece featuring Cary Elwes? You obviously cannot go wrong.
September 16, 2011
Despite this movie being 25 years old I really liked it. It's not exactly historically accurate, but entertaining still and made me look up what was historically accurate. Helena BC has the same expression in this movie that she does in every movie I have ever seen her in though.
½ September 8, 2011
I had to watch this one after the Tudors, but Princess Bride guy + Bellatrix Lestrange?!! LOL....
½ August 27, 2011
Lovely movie, but of course a bit "romanced"... for example, history claims that the relationship between her and her husband was quite different from what is depicted in the movie, and that, times being what they were (:p), they couldn't have been so humanitarian. In any case, Cary Elwes was a hottie in his young days! :D
May 3, 2011
Pure hokum in that the film makers plays fast and loose with historical record and is only really worth watching for the curiosity of seeing Helena Bonham Carter in her first major movie role as a 20 year old - hence a thousand period dramas were launched.

Patrick Stewart is also present as a machiavellian nobleman and doesn't look much younger than he does now - although he still manages to be dashing. Jane's relationship with Guilford Dudley takes up far too much screen time and a tougher, more political take on things would have been far preferable. We await the movie of Wolf Hall and its sequel.
April 11, 2011
A real tear-jerker. So much fun seeing a young Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes. This is a period in English history that has always fascinated me. Poor Lady Jane and Lord Dudley, so misused and abused. I wonder if King Edward would have named his beloved cousin queen had he known what would become of her? Oh well. If you're in the mood for english history and histrionics, I'd recommend it. Be warned though, there is no "excitement" beyond a few beheading and those aren't graphic. Definitely for grown up film watchers, not movie fans looking to simply be entertained.
April 11, 2011
I guess being into history probably influences my rating here as many professional critics seem to dislike this movie. Thinking Helena Bonham Carter hot probably helps too. But to be fair, I like Cary Elwes too and watching what seemed like almost a reprise of his Princess Bride role made me smile. Anyway, I found the movie neither slow nor boring. I do wish certain aspects had been more thoroughly explored: For instance, the relationship between Guilford and his father. All in all though, I loved the movie. I look forward to seeing how I respond to the upcoming one in light of that.