Lake Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lake Dead Reviews

December 23, 2016
Prime. good for a bad horror film
December 13, 2016
prime. good for a bad horror film
October 30, 2016
Talk about shitty timing. Tomorrow is Halloween and today is when I review the 2700th movie that I review on this here site. That fucking sucks. It's not like it would have made a difference one way or the other, I do this for myself and not because anyone out there might read this, but it would have been really cool to do my 2700th review on Halloween, even if it wasn't the film I did watch for Halloween. When I review movies, it's usually the day after I watch them. So while it would have been up on Halloween day, it wouldn't have necessarily been the movie I watched on that actual day. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that my 2700th review on this site is for such a crappy movie. I'm serious, this movie just sucks. There's no other way to put it. Sometimes when I watch 80s slasher movies, I wonder what my reaction would have been like if I was actually watching them at the time they came out. Because, watching them now, I can sort of see them as something else than just terrible movies, I can see the entertainment value in some of its campiness. Whether it's from its bad acting, cheesy gore or any of the other tropes associated with the genre, I can just look at the film and just laugh with it, even if they might not be what I would call good. Which brings us to Lake Dead, this shitty, shitty movie. Part of me wonders if this movie, in 30 years or so, will be seen the same way as I see films like Sleepaway Camp or Stage Fright now. Will people think of this as corny and laugh at it or will they think that it's a terrible movie the way I see it now? And it's not even like this movie is even that recent. This will be ten years old next year. I don't think that's enough time to retrospectively judge this as a corny slasher. Maybe it is for some people, I just think we have to give it some time for that, but I'd like to think that future generations will view this as a terrible movie, no matter when they see it. And why the fuck would they? There's not one iota of fun to be had here, which is key in a cheesy slasher film. It takes itself way too fucking seriously, which is just a big no-no. I'm not saying the film had to wink at me, acknowledging how bad it was, but taking its story and its characters this seriously was a major mistake. Embrace the absurdity of it all and just go all out. Let us as viewers have as much fun as possible, because that's the only way they have a chance, right? They have to be silly and goofy, but they don't want to do that. And I don't know why, I can't assume that they expected that this would have been a major success. They can't have possibly used this as a building block to create a franchise. I just find that impossible to believe, there's just no fucking way. There's some decent enough gore, but nothing to really write home about. If you want gore, watch last week's seventh season premiere of The Walking Dead and you'll get all the gore you want. Don't come looking for it here. The story is uninteresting. I honestly couldn't have cared any less than I did for this story and the people that inhabit this 'world'. Acting is bad, but not entertaining like Tommy Wiseau in The Room. That's pretty much this film's story. It's bad, but it's not bad enough. I'm assuming that doesn't make sense. But it's very simple. It's not bad to the point that it crosses over into the 'enjoyable' territory. I made that point earlier and it's really the biggest takeaway from this. It's bad, but the only way it would have been more entertaining was if it was considerably worse. I think this is the first time, ever, where I wanted a movie to actually be worse. Because, at least, that way I can get something out of it instead of just a shitty and lame slasher. So, yea, this sucked very much and I wouldn't recommend it. The only way I could recommend is if you can get a group of friends together and you all take the piss out of it. That's the ONLY way. Other than that, just stay away from this. Please.
January 7, 2016
Idiotic movie about psycho hillbillies that run a hotel. The scariest part of the movie was the acting.
½ July 28, 2015
This was the scariest joint I prolly ever seen. One look, and you might pee your pants. I just watched it today, and boy was I in for a sock. Sometimes, I can't even sleep anymore for like 3 weeks because of how scary it is. It might even be real. Someone should call the cops.
½ February 11, 2015
A Texas massacre in the woods. Nothing original.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
There are truly many low budget horror out there now and they keep coming. Some are really bad and other watchable like this one was. Story is about the usual stuff , younger people are been slashed by a mad family.. seems to be a safe script for this genre. Overall a decent horror movie once again but compared movies like hills have eyes , wrong turn are a bit better.
½ October 8, 2014
God. This movie was complete shit. It rips off of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which was a very shitty movie within itself, including the plot. Skip it.
½ July 15, 2014
Decent film, fun way to spend the night. The girls were clumsy, the men had foresight. The usual. All in all, time well spent.
September 9, 2013
Three sisters inherit a motel from an unknown grandfather. One sister that was adopted gets killed off and dumped in the lake. The father warns them not to go. Their family at the motel wants to continue their family line with incest, "family tradition". There's more of a story to this slasher movie. Does have a few scenes of blood splatter. Lake Dead is from the collection After Dark Horrorfest, 8 movies to die for.
½ July 25, 2013
Good Movie Kills Could've Been Better Though.
½ June 29, 2013
Surprisingly not a bad movie. Sound quality was a little off but the actors really did their best on this moderately low budget movie. The pace of the movie is good, although the numerous police car rides could have been cut.
April 27, 2013
sick family living through the centuries and when its close to die they find the last ones in their breed to be able to continue..
½ December 31, 2012
This movie ranks among the worst movies I have ever seen. I honestly believe that everybody involved in this film should be denied entry into Heaven for their involvement in this film. The acting in this film makes a middle school play look like Broadway and the plot is just a complete piece of crap. I think one of the things that made me the most angry is the fact that the "lake" in this movie is a pond that looked like it was dug for a sewage treatment center. When your movie that centers around a motel at a lake can't even afford to go shoot on location at a lake, then maybe you need to reconsider what it is your doing. If you like the inbred torture gore genre then you would be better off watching "The Hills Have Eyes" or something in that ball park, but anybody who actually watches this movie and actually likes it is obviously a moron. Don't waste your time or money. In fact if you even think about watching this movie, smack yourself in the face with a hammer because it's about the same in pain level.
December 18, 2012
The only horrifying aspect of the movie was the acting. A rough day for the brunettes (and they were all lovely) in this one, but the blondes don't have it nearly so bad. This is another low-budget movie, and it sure looks like due to that, the director and producers didn't put much effort into it. Effects are bloody, but other than the killing involving the lake, none were very original. You can do much better than this with your time.
October 31, 2012
Wow. Fail. This is just a stupid premise for a movie. It would make sense if they were trying to keep a pure bloodline for a rich family or something, but they were in the middle of fucking nowhere! I have no idea what made them think this was a good idea.
August 31, 2012
Despite a few decently gory moments, Lake Dead manages to be as flaccid and uninteresting as its name...
½ July 25, 2012
Had some very unusual and scary parts in it! Very unusual storyline!
½ May 3, 2012
can somebody say cliche, I did laugh a few times however but I'm sure it wasn't meant to be funny.
April 30, 2012
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I always agree that pointless sex scenes only lower my rating.

I was kind of glad when Sam got killed though, how many f-bombs could I hear at once?