The Lake House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lake House Reviews

½ November 22, 2015
Definitely not my favorite movie of theirs. I was confused at times.
½ October 30, 2015
Mix Of Genres (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) & A Solid (Mills & Boon Style) Love-Story Base An Entertaining Passing Of Time (In All Senses). It's Lite & Nicely Done With Nothing Two Challenging..I Came Away Satisfied With It But Just That.
October 20, 2015
I want to see this really badly.
½ October 2, 2015
For once, sci-fi and romance blent together in a convincing and engaging way.
September 14, 2015
God help me but I liked this movie and it's 'out there' premise worked for me.
August 7, 2015
Spoiler filled review

Imagine a love story with a sci-fi twist. Can you do that? Yeah, just try. But the thing you have to ask yourself is what came first the chicken or the egg. In the case of The Lake House the question is more like; which came first, the writing of the first letter or the construction of a house? The only major problem I had with this movie was the fact that It didn‚(TM)t have a constructed (time travel) origin point. And yes, it can be very confusing and mind bending when you think about the whole time travel thing but I think it is a huge hole that was never explained. Examples: Back To the Future was when Marty had to take the Delorean after Doc‚(TM)s death. During The Time Traveler‚(TM)s Wife it was when he met his love interest when she was a little girl. Let me explain a bit more In detail. The time traveling letter‚(TM)s (sounds silly when I write it) seem to begin when she (Sandra Bullock) puts her letter in the magical mailbox to the next tenant to the Lake house of which she is moving out. But that is not the ‚origin point‚? seeing how she states in her letter that the box in the attic is not hers and she didn‚(TM)t know how the dog prints got out front. Then maybe you could argue that it really began when they met in 2004 at her birthday party. Nope, he already knew about her that‚(TM)s why he went. Well, what about the accident outside Daily Plaza? Nope, he went there because she said that‚(TM)s where she was on Valentine ‚(TM)s Day 2006. When the house was built? Nope, time travel wasn‚(TM)t witnessed until 2004. When his mother died? Same answer. When his father died? No. He already had met future girl. So, I would challenge anyone to explain to me the actual origin point of this act of phenomena. You can‚(TM)t because they didn‚(TM)t bother to provide one. The only thing that I can come up with is that regarding the first letter the PS was added magically when he opened it up and started reading it. If that was the case it would have been nice to show it on screen. It seems small but it nagged at me during most of the movie.
Aside from that small brain bug I can‚(TM)t really see much wrong with the movie. The acting by Reeves/Bullock was fantastic and I couldn‚(TM)t see anyone else playing the parts. Now the two actors I could have seen missing from the movie was 1) Mona (Stalker Assistant) that annoyed me with her horrible acting and 2) his brother Henry. Henry was just really uncomfortable. He seemed as if he was going to burst into tears every time he spoke. Not that he showed it in his eyes but more so in love.

A couple of plot holes I noticed during what I had thought was a well written movie. When Kate sent the scarf and proved to Alex that a winter storm was coming. He was like ‚yeah right, snow‚?. When in fact during the beginning of the movie there was snow all over the place and people had mentioned many times how cold it was. So, he was like ‚yeah right, snow‚? to something that had been happening anyway? What?! Also, why didn‚(TM)t Kate just look him up in the future at any point throughout the entire movie? I mean, she had no problem looking up his father and even finding a photography book on him. Why couldn‚(TM)t she had done the same for Alex? Oh, because the movie would have been 45 minutes long. Whoops. Sorry David Auburn (screenwriter).

The soundtrack was decent in the fact that it didn‚(TM)t take away from the movie. In fact, I thought throwing in a little bit of Paul McCartney actually added to the tone of this movie. The small things are what makes or breaks a movie with me. As if you haven‚(TM)t figured that out by now. But with these small faux pas I am very surprised at my score. Well, not really because I enjoyed this movie. I would suggest it to anybody‚¶ if they said that they were going to watch it anyway. By the way, I gotta say what I novel concept. A time traveling Mailbox. H.G. Wells passed over a gold mine!

Comic Book Movie Bonus: Keanu Reeves: Constantine - Christopher Plummer: Priest - Ebon Moss-Bachrach: American Splendor
August 3, 2015
Kinda confusing at times...
½ August 2, 2015
A great concept with heart-warming performances.
July 26, 2015
The problem with this movie is that it pretends to under the device of time travel even when the doesn't know how to set it up right. The movie isn't all that interesting and kind of forgettable but Sandra Bullock did a solid performance at least.
June 27, 2015
an ok movie, worth a watch. I thought it was a bit slow, but we'll acted. these actors seemed much older then they really are, that threw me. it was nice to seem them together again. however not the same as speed.
June 14, 2015
I love this movie! It has so much romance, so much hope, it makes my heart melt.
½ June 14, 2015
This was a pretty good movie. I found myself fixated though on the fact that the mailbox was, in a sense, a time machine. Neither character really seemed to question a whole lot what was going on with the mailbox. Then I just sat back and enjoyed the rest of the film, and it was pretty good.
June 8, 2015
For those who like the flavor of time travel but no science.
May 17, 2015
This film turned out to be surprisingly good. I had mixed feelings about how this film was going to be with the plot shown in the trailer. Reeves and Bullock have good chemistry and this film works as a romance. Is a perfect date movie.
May 14, 2015
Excellant love movie. Sandra Buddock is always a pretty woman
½ March 1, 2015
that's is so romantic!! they sand letter love in mail time past to future...but they have no idea what's going on Mail....they saw Date 2004 to 2006... they don't know each other...but they almost know each other and met before it... they live same the lake house...
February 17, 2015
A good idea, reasonably well executed.
February 7, 2015
seems particularly original and relevant because the script is clever enough to make the idea a kind of clever metaphor for the phenomenon of Internet dating and e-mail romance. Though, it was ridiculously far-fetched--too many uncomfortable loose ends.
January 28, 2015
forget abt logics in muvy......a good luv story to watch....by d way we r indians