The Lake House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lake House Reviews

July 26, 2015
The problem with this movie is that it pretends to under the device of time travel even when the doesn't know how to set it up right. The movie isn't all that interesting and kind of forgettable but Sandra Bullock did a solid performance at least.
June 27, 2015
an ok movie, worth a watch. I thought it was a bit slow, but we'll acted. these actors seemed much older then they really are, that threw me. it was nice to seem them together again. however not the same as speed.
June 14, 2015
I love this movie! It has so much romance, so much hope, it makes my heart melt.
½ June 14, 2015
This was a pretty good movie. I found myself fixated though on the fact that the mailbox was, in a sense, a time machine. Neither character really seemed to question a whole lot what was going on with the mailbox. Then I just sat back and enjoyed the rest of the film, and it was pretty good.
June 8, 2015
For those who like the flavor of time travel but no science.
May 17, 2015
This film turned out to be surprisingly good. I had mixed feelings about how this film was going to be with the plot shown in the trailer. Reeves and Bullock have good chemistry and this film works as a romance. Is a perfect date movie.
May 14, 2015
Excellant love movie. Sandra Buddock is always a pretty woman
½ March 1, 2015
that's is so romantic!! they sand letter love in mail time past to future...but they have no idea what's going on Mail....they saw Date 2004 to 2006... they don't know each other...but they almost know each other and met before it... they live same the lake house...
February 17, 2015
A good idea, reasonably well executed.
February 7, 2015
seems particularly original and relevant because the script is clever enough to make the idea a kind of clever metaphor for the phenomenon of Internet dating and e-mail romance. Though, it was ridiculously far-fetched--too many uncomfortable loose ends.
January 28, 2015
forget abt logics in muvy......a good luv story to d way we r indians
January 2, 2015
A fair drama movie and the story is okey but a bit slow sometimes but nice to see sandra and keanu together again :)
December 30, 2014
While I can see how terrible this movie is, I still really liked it. Particularly towards the end - I found myself quite emotional! Maybe it's my undying love for Keanu, who knows...
December 20, 2014
Crazy! It seems that a lot of the time the fans do not agree with the critics. I thought this concept was cool and I was in it. 1st chick flick I was really in to.
½ December 15, 2014
If you want to enjoy "The lake house" you should know that it requires plenty of suspended disbelief and no rational approach.

Chronologically, the story "sort-of" starts in 2004, when Alex comes back to the Chicago area and settles in a glass house built many years previously by his architect father. Alex and dad don't get along, even if they share the same profession.

In the house Alex finds a note from alleged "lodger" Kate, who recently moved out with regret to central Chicago. However, Alex knows that the house was closed for years and writes back to Kate, basically asking what is wrong with her. A correspondence follows between the two, during which they discover that Kate rented the house after Alex, possibly in 2005 (the timeline is a bit confused) and she moved out at the beginning of 2006.

The two exchange letters using the mailbox outside the house, regular postal service clearly not being an option. Although I agree that writing letters is very romantic, one may wonder why they do not exchange photos, emails or phone calls...
They quickly discover to be soul mates and Alex tries several times to meet Kate. It should be remembered that in 2004 Kate is still unaware about his existence, so when they actually meet the experience is very different for them. To complicate things, Kate has a boyfriend in 2004 - but not in 2006.

Alex knows to be in love and want to be with Kate. At this stage, enters the plot twist, which feels highly contrived even in such an unlikely scenario. However, we are supposed to root for Alex and Kate, two people who can truly connect with very few around them and who are bound to be together against all odds. Will 2008 be the year when they can finally be happy together?

The time paradox is the most intriguing part and should be explored more in details, but the movie can still be considered a satisfactory, unusual romantic movie.
November 11, 2014
It was a little hard to follow at times. But what a great movie. And the cast was amazing!!
½ October 30, 2014
I enjoyed this movie tremendously.
October 17, 2014
Don't care that it's cheesy and impossible to believe. The man waited 4 years for her! He hid her copy of Persuasion where she'd find it in the future! She saved his life! You get the drift, I love that crap.
October 15, 2014
A wonderful romance and a movie about family. I believe it to be underrated by many critics. Indeed, the time-travel premise took most of them out of the movie. Why do people try to force reality into an escape from reality? Anyway, I love the movie.