L'Amour Braque - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'Amour Braque Reviews

DrStrangeblog
June 6, 2015
MONEY, SEX, WHORES, THE THEATER, LOVE, DEATH, HA HA HA HA HA! DOWN WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT, BOOM! POW! KABLAM! SEAGULLS SEAGULLS SEAGULLS!

Yep, that's what watching this obnoxious film feels like: at top volume, in your face, all the time. The plot has something to do with rival Parisian gangsters and a Hungarian scooped into the mayhem who falls in love with a high-class hooker/gun moll, but it's just an excuse for a collection of disjointed rants against society and showcasing hysterical behavior. I'll give it this, there is no shortage of energy expended, with the loony anarchist gang of thugs resembling Kubrick's droogs from "A Clockwork Orange" paired with the gangland gunfire of "Scarface". The actors don't give performances, they go to histrionic extremes, constantly in motion, darting between rooms, convulsing their bodies, and either screaming their lines or laughing maniacally. Some believe director Zulawski is a gifted filmmaker, those of us who aren't moved by his bombastic delivery will find this exercise in excess torturous. According to the dedication, meant as an homage to Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot" but I think it's closer to Macbeth: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
½ May 16, 2015
Easily one of the most stylistically influential films to ever come out of French cinema. Andrzej Zulawski's adapts Dostoyevsky as if on cocaine and whiskey. The movie runs at a fever-pitched hysterical pace. And, the actors match their director's every strange and hysterical turn. This is what I would call Neon-Avant-Garde approach to everything from bank robbery, sexuality, insanity, evil vs. good and obsessive love. I've never seen any other film like it. I simply love it.
½ August 17, 2011
i will defintiely have to give this another view, but this is cocaine cinema. Absolutely wild. Bordering on pretentious but somehow always redeeming it, usually by a man randomly incinerating someone with a flamethrower, a group of gangsters dancing in the street with machine guns, or a young and beautiful Sophie Marceau whipping off her clothes and jumping into bed with the mentally challenged protagonist. Insane.
½ October 14, 2010
I really don't know what to say about this movie. Perhaps it would be a ground-breaking one if putting on stage in a very post-modern way. But now, it's totally over-the-top in everything & simply unbearable.
May 23, 2010
Simply beautiful and endlessly crazy. A comic-esque reinvention of Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot".
½ May 10, 2010
I just watched this movie with subtitles that were so indecipherable that it probably would have been better off if they were in Sumerian. But even so, this movie manages to speak to its audience utilizing a universal language: FUCKING BATSHIT INSANITY.

I don't know what the hell is going on... A bunch of dudes in Disney masks rob a bank... Blow up a bunch of cars.... shoot about 150 people.... and then have epileptic seizures to 80's Electronic Synthpop.... All while belligerently screaming at eachother, non-stop, for over 100 minutes... And then there's a snuff film, and some fat guys balls on someone's face.... And then a bunch of shit gets set on fire and blow up....And they set fire to some more shit... Then a lot more shit.... In other words, this is prime Andrzej Zulawski. Holy shit, this was awesome. Zulawski. Get off your ass and do more crystal meth and entertain me s'more.