Lan Yu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lan Yu Reviews

November 20, 2008
This was a really fine film that tracks the dramatic social and political changes that have occurred in China over the last 20 years, or so. The cinematography generally was terrific, although the use of mirrors in an effort to compound the meaning being developed in any given shot might have been a little too frequent.

Still, there's plenty to love about this movie. Of particular note was the willingness of the actors to put so much of themselves onto the screen, both emotionally and physically. These guys obviously take their craft very seriously.
½ November 16, 2008
it's chinese so must end tragically.
September 7, 2008
Lan Yu is Chinese 2001's version of Brokeback Mountain.
May 14, 2008
liked the pace and cinematography. main actors were stellar (loved Ye Liu in it!). it managed to point to major social themes (prostitution, love, tiananmen, capitalism, extremes of socioeconomic status) while not dwelling on them but focusing on daily life and the inevitability of time passing. held a good balance between sexy/romantic and heartbreaking.
April 29, 2008
although the movie is less than an hour and half, it feels like so much longer (in a good way). you really get to know the two main characters in this love story. the fact that it's a gay romance has very little impact on the story. one of the better love stories i've seen in awhile.
April 28, 2008
beautifully amazing, a pure love that is more touchier than ever
April 24, 2008
awesome editing. way better than brokeback
March 21, 2008
A gay story.
Stanley has done a great job in handling the movie. It is also great even compare with the Broken Back by Any Lee.
March 9, 2008
plot was similar to brokeback mountain. the acting was restrained but good, and there were some great moments, but overall i found it a tad too slow-paced and quiet, and it didn't touch me as much as i'd hoped it would.
February 29, 2008
A tale of love developing over a decade which saw tons of change in modern China. I loved how the character of Lan Yu, a young student who sells himself to make ends meet, comes through as the one who can really love right until the end; while Chen Handong, a businessman caught up in the 80s money-making mechanism, only manages to realize the importance of love when time has almost run out.
February 19, 2008
I gotta stop crying my heart out......
February 17, 2008
touching but sad
i cried when the story ends...
a memorable film!
February 10, 2008
The handsome Hu Jun is wonderful in this otherwise slow melodrama, that could have benefited from being a little less restrained.
January 24, 2008
Lan Yu is a great movie!Liu Ye's performance is excellent and his unique temperament of melancholy,pure,a bit of shyness perfectly matches the key personalities of Lan Yu. I've watched this movie several times!The love between Han Dong and Lan Yu is really touching~!
January 13, 2008
The power of Love! Sexless, borderless, cultureless...
January 3, 2008
Just like the way the story is told, subtle but touching. Ending is a bit rough. Still the best love movie I watch for the last couple of years. Way better than Kwan's previous ones.
December 28, 2007
i love lan yu not only i'm liu ye's fan, but this sad and moving story, i read the original story,Beijing Story, as well
December 24, 2007
it reminded me of brokeback mountain... except more intimate and better.
December 15, 2007
a homosexual love strong... a blue mood ran through the whole film... sentimental...
½ December 9, 2007
Looks like all guy movies ended tragically. Maybe it is that I havent watched enough gay films.