L'année dernière à Marienbad (Last Year at Marienbad) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'année dernière à Marienbad (Last Year at Marienbad) Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
Wow. This film. Now before judging this review upon the "average / low" score I gave it, I want to reassure you that nonetheless I will be watching it again, and very soon, I mean can a film that I actually want to see again (in such a short time span) be so bad? Well no. The reason for the more average rating I gave it is because it may just be the most incomprehensible and pretentious arthouse film I have ever seen, with either little or no meaning. But that doesn't diminish the fact that I truly respect it and want to see it again, now with a better understanding (or at least I think I do) I want to give it another chance and see if I can further grasp the concept at hand.

The story is somewhat straight forward, a man and a woman meet a year after their initial meeting, however the woman has forgotten the event thus leaving the man to convince her it happened. Okay, so it seems pretty simple at the moment, but then it piles on layers of enigmatic scenes and mind-bending narration that create a narrative that is damn hard to interpret. The black-and-white cinematography is stunning, but this film is definitely going to require a second viewing before I establish it as a film that I truly like (or hate). The Marmite of the arthouse film world.
December 23, 2016
Elegant,beautiful imagery,breathtaking,a waking dream!Resnais has crafted space n time so well that will make anyone wonder for sure.
May 23, 2016
Last Year at Marienbad is a graceful, mysterious, surreal artwork whose beautiful style and breaking of storytelling conventions took the world of filmmaking by storm and is ever still as influential.
½ May 19, 2016
If you're a fan of existentialism and surrealism you should enjoy this movie. Produced in 1961 in France it centers on the meeting of a man and woman at the German spa resort Marienbad. He claims they had met the year before but she doesn't remember him. All dialogue is minimal as most of the conversation is internal. Coupled with the equally internal labyrinthine recesses of the resort this movie is an attempt to delve into the maze-like corners of the human mind. As such Marienbad itself is the prime character of the movie.
March 19, 2016
Gorgeous but it makes no sense
½ February 28, 2016
Strange movie. It was shot in a cool way but I was bored most of the time.
January 20, 2016
My favorite film of all time. This film is perfect. Amazing sets, wardrobe(for the lead Delphine Seyrig), cinematography is such a great use of the black and white medium, and a story that is just as amazing as it is a puzzle. I can't get enough of this film. And the lead Delphine Seyrig is the most beautiful leading woman of any actress. A great movie, balancing arthouse, drama, camera, production design, all in one film.
January 20, 2016
Excellent display of something that is not all that easy in a film to convey to an audience.
November 4, 2015
Imagine a painting that changes every time you look at it and that sums up this abstract work.

Dreamlike and ridiculously ahead of its time - I love this film a lot. Every time I watch it I see new things in it - and I've changed my mind dozens of times about what it all means.
½ July 29, 2015
This is a haunting, dream-like film that's been described as both a masterpiece and incomprehensible. I think Freddie Mercury may have described it best, "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality." Frankly, we just don't know.
July 4, 2015
79%
Perhaps the first true mind fuck movie of cinematic history, Last Year at Marienbad is extremely difficult to watch and to stay attentive mostly because the film shifts more frequently in timeline than any other film ever made in the history of cinema. The film is filled with unnecessary voice overs, an extremely well made cinematography work and a clearly rotten performance from lead actress Delphine Seyrig(which reduces the fun in watching the film). The rest of the cast is ok and it's extremely well directed for it's time. A major drawback is that it's plot cannot be comprehended into a sensible version. It's filled of too many beautiful women. It's the most enigmatic and confusing film I have seen to date.
May 22, 2015
Seijun Suzuki accomplished the magnum opus of his career with the haunting, lyrical, atmospheric 'Taisho Trilogy', and i think he owed a lot to this labyrinthine masterpiece.
May 2, 2015
I've got to give it credit for daring to do what nobody else was doing, playing with the audience, teasing them with hope that a story will unfold and then just taking them in circles. It is a difficult watch, no matter how nice it looks. Once you know that, if there is a message here, it's probably not for you, then it's pretty boring.
April 12, 2015
A lot has been said about the impenetrable nature of this film and its baffling narrative, but a lot of it seems to be self-reflexive; the dialogue regularly refers to freedom, confusion, etc. Two people debate over whether or not it matters what the meaning of two statues is. At one point the director seems to be mocking himself for making this film and at another he mocks those who would criticize it. People play a card game in which the orchestrator always wins, the loser a surrogate for the audience.

I read it as being about the ways in which we assign meaning to art, a self-aware parody of the pretentious art film while actually being a pretentious art film. This kind of thing is really just dependent on whether or not you buy into the idea of viewing film as a medium and dissecting how and why it affects us. If watching a movie intent on creating a nightmarish dream world where nothing makes sense for an hour and a half sounds like fun to you, than here you go. Enjoy. If that sounds like pretentious nonsense, then skip it. As a surreal, beautiful mental puzzle that does a lovely job of generating a mood, a tone, emulating the nature of dreams, and capturing the frustrating ways in which we attempt to recall memories, it's quite an experience.
½ April 11, 2015
Instead of immediately writing a review for Last Year At Marienbad, I decided to let the movie marinate in my mind. Marienbad is film at it's most enigmatic and experimental and I wasn't quite sure I responded to it. As the day wore on, however, I found myself thinking of nothing but this movie. It's resplendent visuals and loose structure had intoxicated my mind. it was then that I realized maybe I did respond to this movie but not in an emotional way. Suffice to say, I now consider this an excellent film. It's so well constructed and technically flawless, allowing it's experimentation to work so well. This is a film less about a plot, story, or theme and more about what film can do and achieve outside the accepted boundaries of structure. In that sense, it's a meta-film experience; a film commenting on film.
January 31, 2015
My favorite flick of all time.
½ January 27, 2015
Probably the film that gave foreign films a bad name. Beautifully shot, but mostly incomprehensible.
½ January 10, 2015
In the film's opening sequence, the camera smoothly drifts and hypnotizes through an array of elegant hallways and corridors in a vast luxurious hotel. Accompanying this is a voice on loop that seemingly describes the feeling of being stuck in these hallways - observing not only the grandiose nature of the architecture, but also the muteness of the people who inhabit it. As we continue on the journey, a man and woman are eventually distinguished from the crowd as the two protagonists - one repeatedly attempting to convince the other that they have met and fallen in love the prior year. Beautiful as this opening is, the way the rest of the film unfolds becomes the crux of both its downfalls and its strengths. It is confusion at its boldest and most dreamlike state; a piece that shuns conventional linear storytelling and instead, opts for a play on time, on space, on memory; a narrative that is sometimes boring but most importantly never not intriguing. Thus we are introduced to Alain Resnais's LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

MARIENBAD is a beast of its own nature. It is a quintessential love-it-or-hate-it piece. The concept of repetition and time is explored quite ravishedly. The story weaves in and out, goes up and down, and glides through without establishing true concrete hints for viewers to grasp. It is this that may alienate the most casual viewer. Although the narrative can get messy, the cinematography and editing are both exquisite and unyielding - the frame constantly evokes a nostalgic and steady yet almost amnesic atmosphere with its elegant slow tracking, its isolation of characters and space through light and shadow (and aided by luscious costume design), and its chaotic control of rhythm through jump cuts, match cuts, and bold flashes. The film exudes a sort of technical brilliance that in a sense can be seen by some to be its redeeming quality.

MARIENBAD, to all its credit, is probably one of the most mysterious films ever made. For that, it is worth a watch alone. Like or dislike, Resnais goes for something, and it is up to each individual's subjective experience to decide whether or not he succeeds.
½ December 11, 2014
I don't now how much I actually "liked" the film, but I was never bored and sometimes I was downright engrossed. More for fans of experimental cinema, as people looking for a solid narrative are going to be pissed off and frustrated.
December 3, 2014
a literal interpretation of cubist film-making!