L'Appât (Fresh Bait) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'Appât (Fresh Bait) Reviews

March 11, 2011
A modern, ambiguous "anti-thriller"
February 21, 2010
... de la retrospectiva en la Berlinale!
April 30, 2009
Very violent and unlike most movies didn't like any of the main characters. I thought it was very interesting.
February 11, 2009
Berlin Film Festival 95' Golden Bear
August 28, 2008
Based on true events happened in France. Not impressive overall however. Was it really from 1995... didn't look like it at all.
April 10, 2008
I'll eat an Irish grape farmer's Scottish terrier before I watch this eggnog-o-rama.
January 20, 2008
This true crime drama have me thinking about how much Hollywood references were placed in the film, to perhaps to either demystify the mass-manufactured illusion of glossy America, or even (at speculative) worst, everything America in pre-Nicolas Sarkozy France (the Francois Mitterand era circa 1980?).
½ November 25, 2007
Tavernier films never sound good on paper, but they're always worth seeing. This is no exception.
November 23, 2007
excellent film qui montre violence et brutalité humaine avec élégance...
½ September 19, 2007
An interesting crime movie.
September 6, 2007
Ce film m'avait énormément impressionnée, cette histoire est horrible.
July 30, 2007
A well-scripted drama about three teens who turn to robbery and murder to make their dreams of moving to America come true. A devilish social satire, featuring a great performance by Gillain.
December 6, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!
½ June 8, 2006
I dont ussually like french movies but this one is awesum, i love it, it's a great movie!!! I love the acts and the story is so original... Marie Gillain's performance was really awesum!!! It's original name is L'Appat, which this site should use, i believe...
Harlequin68
April 28, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "Fresh Bait", Nathalie(Marie Gillain) is an 18 year old shopgirl(sorry, shopgirl/model) by day. At night, she roams high class bars making contact with wealthy gentlemen trying to forward her career prospects. Her boyfriend, Eric(Olivier Sitruk), has been out of work for so long that his father has disowned him. His friend, Bruno(Bruno Putzulu), also terminally unemployed, crashes at Nathalie's apartment which is paid for by her mom. The three of them dream of moving to America where they can own their own store but first they need 10 million Francs. Where is this eternally broke trio supposed to come up with such a sum? Well, they decide on a bold plan of action to rob men chosen out of Nathalie's address book.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]While it does feel a little like a film of the French New Wave, "Fresh Bait" is so amateurish and nonsensical that I still wonder if it is meant to be taken seriously.(Director Bertrand Tavernier should know better.) If the characters need such a large amount of money, then why don't they rob a bank? Home invasion is more the style of drug addicts and the quick fix. Overall, the movie might serve as a critique of the invasive influence of American culture on France.(The young men do watch the 1983 version of "Scarface" an awful lot.)[/font]
February 19, 2006
Ce film m'avait boulversé à l'époque. Trois adolescent commettent un meurtre dans un but bien précis. Le pire dans cette histoire, c'est que malgré la gravité de leur geste, ils ne semblent pas avoir de remords. Brrr !