The Laramie Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Laramie Project Reviews

March 15, 2016
Some unbelievably beautiful acting and words. I found myself sympathizing with every character, regardless of their ideologies. This project is the ultimate representation of each person's own "universal truths," no matter how flawed or different from my own. As a film, the cinematography at the beginning is a bit cloying, with the extreme close-ups and camera angles for optimal emotional impact, and the "frame story" seems forced and unnecessary. Most natural performances come from Fonda, Madigan, Linney, Davies, Baker, Irwin, and Kinney.
½ August 19, 2015
One of those films shot in documentary style where only a few actors can act with the intention of the documentary style and they look like real interviewees and where the others do over act it a bit. It still works very well and you really get that sense of a community coming divided and also coming together, and with the story of Matthew it becomes a heart rending film.
½ June 7, 2015
I thought this was pretty good. Watched it a while ago and can't remember a ton, but I think it told the story well. It's good creativity to do something like this...not necessarily focus on the main event but the attitudes surrounding it.
½ June 10, 2014
91%
For such an unbalanced looking semi-docudrama, the magnetic cast makes this dramatic reconstruction of one of America's most intimately devastating tragedies all the more worth it.
December 3, 2013
Watching movies I've seen forever ago. This is another excellent story yet a horrible subject on the death of Matthew Shepherd.
September 8, 2013
A powerful insight into how a town handles the shocking and senseless murder of Matthew Shepard.
½ June 12, 2013
Horribly cliche script sinks this movie with "a heart in the right place."
½ June 8, 2013
Moving and important story. Great cast.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 9, 2013
The Laramie Project is the movie to watch on the Matthew Shepard ordeal. Although far from perfect, this is a well acted and directed docu drama that tells a remarkable true story. Although far from perfect, the story is compelling and is worth seeing if you want to watch something truly engaging. This is a must see film for people interested in this poignant story. I thought that it was a well made movie that could have been a bit better, but it is much better than The Matthew Shepard story. The performances are pretty good and the story is engaging from start to finish, and there are some very good cast members here that give some good performances. There are things that could have been changed to make the film better, but for what it is, it works as an interesting docudrama. Although not perfect, it's still well acted and tells a great story. What Happened to Matthew Shepard should never happened, but it also opened the door to much needed action against hate crimes and equality. This is the film to watch if you're interested in the Matthew Shepard ordeal, and it is entertaining with good, memorable performances and well written story. However like I said, it could have been reworked slightly just to make it better. The Laramie Project will most likely have an impact on any viewer that will watch the film, and it is a film that you can't forget. The film has its flaws of course, but it is a well made movie that brings to light an important issue.
March 3, 2013
Despite the fact that I was feeling extra sappy-sobby-girly yesterday, I know I would have cried anyway. Was surprised ...simply because when I saw what the STYLE of the film was, I thought I wouldn't like it. It was basically a MOVIE ABOUT a DOCUMENTARY....Ikr?? I was expecting a documentary, not actors portraying the people who were interviewed for this, and I thought for sure that would make it fall flat. IT DID NOT. I could not have been more wrong. The acting was so superb,( and I suppose knowing that they were really repeating this true, terrible story almost verbatim) that I felt like I was watching the real citizens of this town...They also managed to give hope while never downplaying the tragedy of what happened or value of Mathew's life. HIGHLY recommended.
½ January 2, 2013
Angering but it's the source material. Powerful and necessary.
October 18, 2012
Didn't even know about it, loved every minute of it!
December 20, 2011
YES, A MUCH BETTER INSIGHT INTO THE DEATH OF YOUNG MATTHEW SHEPARD. AGAIN ANOTHER HEART WRENCHING LOOK AT HATE CRIMES IN THE UNITED STATES.
November 25, 2011
Good retelling of an excellent play.
November 16, 2011
One of the very few movies to make my cry, it's truly a powerful, emotional film that EVERYONE should see
October 29, 2011
Very emotional film......
July 11, 2011
This movie had a profound effect on me. Having experienced hate first hand many times in my life the subject matter was extremely personal to me. The film was devastating yet cathartic all at once. I never knew I could grieve so deeply for someone I had never met, never known. It was gut wrenching. There was also great joy. Proof once again that sometimes the very worst of occurrences can bring out the very best in people. It is incredible how many people in this word hate without realizing that is what they're doing. They feel justified in their feelings. That's just the reality of the world. The film doesn't try to sugar coat it or give it some ending as if seen through rose coloured glasses. It just tells it straight and unvarnished. Both the horrendous and the beautiful. I think it a fitting tribute to the young man who lost his life so tragically. In the end, it gives me hope. Hope for a brighter future.
April 28, 2011
Oldie but a goodie -nice performances from Janine Garofalo, Laura Linney, Nestor Carbonell, among others.